Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Fuel Grade and Type (Octane Ethanol/Non-Ethanol) (Read 591 times)
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: Fuel Grade and Type (Octane Ethanol/Non-Ethano
Reply #30 - 09/05/12 at 06:03:56

Just to slightly clarify things, it is not the compression ratio which determines engine efficiency, but the expansion ratio. Mechanically they are identical, and for some reason the compression ratio is the stated number. The effective ratios will usually be different from the mechanical ratios, as compression does not begin until the intake valve is closed and expansion ends when the exhaust valve opens. Because of differing valve timings between engines designed for different uses, the effective ratios may differ from each other in the same engine. Expansion ratio determines the efficiency, while compression ratio (along with variables such as throttle opening, engine temperature, ambient air temperature, and no doubt others) determine the temperature and pressure in the combustion chamber prior to spark firing and ignition of the fuel charge.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #31 - 09/05/12 at 06:23:22

bill67 wrote on 09/05/12 at 05:48:03:
You shouldn't use high octane gas in it unless for some reason you want it to run cooler and have less power.

Come on, Bill. Show us your dyno runs and your IR temperature readings for both Regular and Premium fuels.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #32 - 09/05/12 at 09:25:06

Wikipedia's take on octane....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

The chart at the bottom is quite interesting.  Diesel is 15-25 octane, while ethanol and methanol are 108 octane.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #33 - 09/05/12 at 11:11:59

SALB wrote on 09/05/12 at 09:25:06:

The chart at the bottom is quite interesting.  Diesel is 15-25 octane, while ethanol and methanol are 108 octane.

SALB:

That is a very good article.  I find it interesting that there is never any discussion about how "fast" or "hot" gasoline burns by any professional or any article written by people in the fuel field.  The only people that get into those discussions are us amateurs.....and none of it is based on any facts.  I also find it interesting that the only way to actually determine an octane rating is to put the fuel in a test engine that has variable compression and run it to find out.  I saw a program on "How Things are Made" that was about gasoline.  They showed a fellow riding a bicycle around the plant and he was gathering samples from the testing stations around the plant.  He then took the samples to the lab, and they showed the test engine they used.

How hot or fast a fuel burns may actaully be more dependant upon the fuel mix, as lean mixtures tend to burn hot and fast.......while rich mixtures burn slower and cooler (at least that is my amateur uninformed opinion).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #34 - 09/05/12 at 20:01:27

Charon wrote on 09/05/12 at 06:03:56:
Just to slightly clarify things, it is not the compression ratio which determines engine efficiency, but the expansion ratio. Mechanically they are identical, and for some reason the compression ratio is the stated number.

C:R is always stated alone because it is a fixed variable. Everything else changes. There's no point in using any other number except for when making the fuel-map for the ECU.

SALB wrote on 09/05/12 at 09:25:06:

That's because diesel isn't ignited, it's forced into the cylinder at the top of the compression stroke and detonates due to extreme pressure and heat. Remember back when cars used to "diesel" after you'd shut them off? That was detonation keeping them running and that's exactly how a diesel engine works. There are no spark-plugs in a diesel engine.

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #35 - 09/05/12 at 20:41:25

Cavi, diesel is ignited, it's called compression ignition, where super high compression ratios superheat the air, causing ignition of the fuel as it streams out of the injector.  This is why diesel has such a low octane.  Yes, I'm an ex diesel mechanic. Roll Eyes  But yes, diesels have no spark ignition system, so to speak. Cool

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #36 - 09/05/12 at 21:38:04

And diesels don't "detonate" as there is no pre-mixed fuel/air just sitting there waiting for the spark to "set it all off at once".

The diesel ignition curve is an off center skewed bell curve as the very first micro-droplets of fuel ignite as they leave the ejector nozzle, rapidly growing more numerous until the injector stroke hits it's max flow rate, then tapering off as the injector stroke tails off to nothing.

This cone of fire is quite rich at the center and lean at the outer edges, and the fire cone swirls and moves around on itself intentionally as the piston starts to go down, allowing all the air that can be used to be used.

Note: the compressed air charge is of fixed volume, size and compression, nice and red hot and very consistent stroke to stroke to stroke.

The amount of fuel sprayed in per piston cycle however is a variable, and when operated at partial throttle or low speeds diesel engines can burn quite lean and hot on the initial part of the power stroke, but this quickly cools off as the charge expands as the piston goes down on the small partial fuel load of sprayed oil that had "too much" air in there and not enough fuel.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #37 - 09/06/12 at 04:57:51

You're missing my point and you're misquoting me. I couldn't care less about some "curve," the fact is diesel is not ignited by a spark, it's ignited the same way detonation occurs in a gasoline engine - by heat and pressure alone. Just because it doesn't burn "all at once" (which I never said) doesn't change the fact that it WOULD if it was physically possible to distribute all of the fuel evenly throughout the combustion chamber at the exact moment when heat and pressure are at their highest.

You're also giving a diesel fuel-injection system way more credit than it deserves. Diesel injectors are just spring-loaded valves that open when pressure reaches a certain point.

And yet again - thread completely derailed by totally irrelevant information.

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #38 - 09/06/12 at 20:43:34

Don't look at me! Embarrassed    I was just making the point that diesel is such a low octane so that compression ignition could occur.    I also listed alcohol, because it's very high octane, and thus a prime choice for race cars running 13:1 or higher compression. Wink

As for injectors, almost all manufacturers have gone to piezo  type electric injectors in the last ten years or so, and now they're starting to show up in gasoline direct injection engines.  Gotta love technology! Cool

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #39 - 09/07/12 at 10:10:55

My new Kia has GDI.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #40 - 09/07/12 at 21:00:11

bill67 wrote on 09/07/12 at 10:10:55:
My new Kia has GDI.

How's that diesel technology in your gas engine working for ya, Bill? Smiley

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #41 - 09/08/12 at 15:26:17

GDI is really good more differenced than going from carb to fuel injection.I get 43.5 mpg overall, most of my driving is from 55-65,I live in small town so don't really do city driving.I do use 100% gasoline.And Mobil 1 oil.5/20,I thought about the 0/20 but dealers and checking the internet say I shouldn't.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #42 - 09/08/12 at 15:38:20

I just googled "Kia GDI",.. and it shows they do have it...

43 mpg's is as good as my little Geo Metro...

Bill ain't always wrong... Smiley...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #43 - 09/11/12 at 12:19:11

Someone mentioned to me recently that bikes running 91 octane might not be getting their money's worth at the pumps if the person before them filled up with 87. The reasoning they said was that the line was filled from the nozzle back to the pump with 87, and all of that goes into your tank before the 91 starts to fill it. Anyone hear of something similar?

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #44 - 09/11/12 at 15:02:58

Yep.  The current issue of the American Motorcycle Association has an article that I have not read yet - but I read enough to know the article is about potential problems at the E15 pumps and leftover fuel in the hose.  On a motorcycle that only needs a gallon or two of fuel.....the ratio of ethanol could end up being too high since most are only allowed a 10% ethanol maximum.

If you need a higher octane in a motorcycle, learn to find pumps that have a seperate hose for the good stuff.....or follow the Corvettes and BMW's to the pumps so they can fill the hose with high octane for you.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:32:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel Grade and Type (Octane Ethanol/Non-Ethanol)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.