Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Motorcycle LED Tail/Turn/Plate ALL-IN-ONE Light (Read 204 times)
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Motorcycle LED Tail/Turn/Plate ALL-IN-ONE Light
09/02/12 at 21:33:15

Hi I have just brought a all in one rear LED tail, break and turn signal. It has a Red,Black,Orange,White,Blue and Yellow wires and no wiring guide. Can anyone please enlighten me as to which wire goes where.

Cheers Paul

186602549.jpg
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Re: Motorcycle LED Tail/Turn/Plate ALL-IN-ONE Ligh
Reply #1 - 09/02/12 at 22:07:20

hi! I can't say exactly what wire do I need... but judging by your pictures black wire-negative pole, red-positive brake signal, orange-positive from the right rear turn signal light, yellow-from the left, and the white wire-rear tail signal... something like this...

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #2 - 09/02/12 at 22:52:31

Thank you sooo much. That helps heaps.

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #3 - 09/03/12 at 04:08:02

I'd go with the suggestion on the thread from the Cafe... Wire black to ground, then grab a positive wire and hit each of the others to see what lights up and mark is accordingly.

Looking forward to seeing it installed on the bike. I considered one of these on mine before bobbing it, but went with a turn signal conversion kit that made them running/turn/brake lights.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #4 - 09/03/12 at 06:31:06

This is about the same as the unit supplied in the RYCA kit.  If you want to see for yourself which wire is which, get a common 9v battery, hold the black wire on the negative terminal, and touch the other wires, one by one, on the positive terminal.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 09/03/12 at 12:15:20

Why did you post this in both Rubber Side Down....and the Cafe?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Motorcycle LED Tail/Turn/Plate ALL-IN-ONE Light
Reply #6 - 09/02/12 at 21:40:19

Hello I have asked this question in Rubber side too. Hi I have just brought a all in one rear LED tail, break and turn signal. It has a Red,Black,Orange,White,Blue and Yellow wires and no wiring guide. Can anyone please enlighten me as to which wire goes where.
I have made a nice little bracket to mount this at the end of the mud guard. Will post pics once I get the wiring sorted.

Cheers Paul

186602549_001.jpg
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #7 - 09/03/12 at 02:16:19

Chances are the black is the ground wire...

Take it from there, obtain a +12V DC source and connect the black to ground, then by trial and error see what the other ones do.

Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 09/03/12 at 02:48:16

mpescatori wrote on 09/03/12 at 02:16:19:
Chances are the black is the ground wire...

Take it from there, obtain a +12V DC source and connect the black to ground, then by trial and error see what the other ones do.

Wink

& the trumpets blare...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #9 - 09/03/12 at 05:38:43

The LED lamps usually don't need a lot of current. You can probably just use any convenient 9 volt battery instead of looking for 12 volts. As mpescatori said, odds are the black wire is negative.

The all-in-one idea sounds great, but remember the purpose of turn signals. They are supposed to alert other drivers of your intentions. If the turn signal is too close to the other lights - running light and especially the brighter brake light - it doesn't stand out and thus doesn't serve its purpose very well. That's why DOT regulations specify how wide the turn signals are supposed to be.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #10 - 09/03/12 at 07:59:04

Charon wrote on 09/03/12 at 05:38:43:
The LED lamps usually don't need a lot of current. You can probably just use any convenient 9 volt battery instead of looking for 12 volts. As mpescatori said, odds are the black wire is negative.

The all-in-one idea sounds great, but remember the purpose of turn signals. They are supposed to alert other drivers of your intentions. If the turn signal is too close to the other lights - running light and especially the brighter brake light - it doesn't stand out and thus doesn't serve its purpose very well. That's why DOT regulations specify how wide the turn signals are supposed to be.

That is why I am using bar-end signals on my RYCA.

One way to find out which wire is which is to hold the black wire on the negative contact of a common 9v battery, and touch the other wires, one by one, on the positive contact.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #11 - 09/03/12 at 08:02:44

If the taillight is made from LEDs, chances are those LEDs will only trigger (=light up) when fed +12V.

In other words, +9V may not be enough.

As in... you may jump all you want, but if you can't get the ball through the hoop, you ain't playing basketball  Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 09/03/12 at 09:13:47

Well, dangitt, Pesci. Now I feel bad. All those times I went home & told my mom we had been playing basketball, I was lying. I need a 10 foot ladder & a 4 foot funnel to make a basket.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #13 - 09/03/12 at 09:37:22

mpescatori wrote on 09/03/12 at 08:02:44:
If the taillight is made from LEDs, chances are those LEDs will only trigger (=light up) when fed +12V.

In other words, +9V may not be enough.

As in... you may jump all you want, but if you can't get the ball through the hoop, you ain't playing basketball  Wink

+9v is enough.  I used a 9v battery just as I outlined to figure out which wire did what on the RYCA install.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 09/03/12 at 09:53:19

I had a sport bike with a similar tail light change lanes in front of me the other day.  Because I was focused on his bike.....I saw the turn signal.  It was not very visible in daylight however.....and it convinced me that they probably are not very safe.  The one I saw was not going to get anyones attention if they were not staring at the back of the bike.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 02:31:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Motorcycle LED Tail/Turn/Plate ALL-IN-ONE Light

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.