Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Suzuki GT750 Water Buffalo Front Brake (Read 227 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Suzuki GT750 Water Buffalo Front Brake
09/02/12 at 18:54:26

Will the four-leading shoe front brake from the GT-750 fit a Savage?  I'm wondering about axle diameter and distance between the forks.  I realize there would be a lot of work needed for bracketry, lever, cable, etc., even if it DID fit.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Suzuki GT750 Water Buffalo Front Brake
Reply #1 - 09/02/12 at 19:06:36

axles are the same, 15mm

WWW   IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/02/12 at 19:44:38

Somebody here said that it would... I considered it for a hot minute, but I've got too much on my plate at the moment, and they are hard to come by and expensive on Ebay (I was watching one that was almost $400...)

I would suspect that the two-shoed version would work as well, but it's not such a good brake.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 09/02/12 at 21:38:56

I'm not sure it would be even a good idea. I got the front tire to squeak on several occasions and still had lever to spare. A more powerful caliper would just lock it up sooner. Not to offend anyone and I like ideas how do adapt stuff to the Savage, just don't know about a stronger brake in this case. The Savage is a real light bike to begin with.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 09/03/12 at 03:10:50

Yea, I hear about "Upgrade the front brake", but I can make the front tire chirp. I know I do not want to make it slide,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #5 - 09/03/12 at 06:54:50

Somebody here said that it would... I considered it for a hot minute, but I've got too much on my plate at the moment, and they are hard to come by and expensive on Ebay (I was watching one that was almost $400...)   I would suspect that the two-shoed version would work as well, but it's not such a good brake.

Yes, these are expensive.  The one on ebay right now is pushing $500.  Compare that, though, to the 1,000 to 3,000 dollar range for Ceriani or Grimeca versions currently available.

I'm not sure it would be even a good idea. I got the front tire to squeak on several occasions and still had lever to spare. A more powerful caliper would just lock it up sooner. Not to offend anyone and I like ideas how do adapt stuff to the Savage, just don't know about a stronger brake in this case. The Savage is a real light bike to begin with.

No, for all practical reasons it is NOT a good idea, but this 4LS brake is not a very powerful front brake, considering.  When I first got my Savage, I checked out the front brake performance pretty well just to see what was there.  The spongy lever would come all the way back to the grip with the front tire not making any noise at all.  After a 30-minute brake bleeding session, things improved quite a bit.  A serious pull on the lever would lock up the front wheel, sliding the tire, and not come anywhere close to doing a "brakie" since the front tire was a piece of crap.  I rode a GT-750 a few times back in the 70s and remember that brake as being barely able to lock up the front wheel,.. and I don't remember anything about fade resistance.  The stock Savage front disc impresses me as being pretty good for Savage-style duty,.. light weight, clean looking, and powerful enough.  For a Savage converted to a much lighter RYCA bike, the stock disc should be nearly a high-performance item, I would think.  I'm hoping the same effect for this Water Buffalo 4LS brake, if I decide to go that way.

Yea, I hear about "Upgrade the front brake", but I can make the front tire chirp. I know I do not want to make it slide,

This wouldn't be done as an "upgrade."  It would simply be a "period statement" for this pseudo cafe racer, the RYCA CS-1. When I was growing up, 4LS front brakes were hot stuff.  I would use this brake for the same reason I put Avon Speedmasters on the thing.  My first new bike, a Norton 750 Atlas, had Avon Speedmasters.  They were the big deal, tire-wise, in 1965.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #6 - 09/03/12 at 07:01:14

One other reason I am considering a cable-operated brake is that I would be able to use 2" shorter handle bars on the clip-ons.  In the standard RYCA configuration, the bars are pretty wide as is, and when you install bar-end signals like I did (or use bar end mirrors) the "look" is not in character with a '60s cafe racer. The bars have to be that wide to make room for the Savage front brake master cylinder.

Using a cable operated brake would allow the right bar to be maybe 2" shorter.  

I'd probably shorten the left bar, as well. Grin

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 09/03/12 at 08:10:53

Gyrobob wrote on 09/03/12 at 07:01:14:
I'd probably shorten the left bar, as well. Grin

Cool!... symmetricalness... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #8 - 09/03/12 at 11:51:32

You know I find myself looking at other brake caliper to see if they would mount up without modifications. So far I've only seen one, and that is the one from the GZ250. It is the same caliper. Grin
And then I ask myself: What for?
Well I guess it's just to have something different. So i understand what Gyrobob is doing.
The one thing that makes me wanna try something different is the fact that my stock brake is constantly dragging. I tried everything I could think of to make it retract properly from new fluid and bleeding the heck out of it to cleaning everything, lubing the pins with silicone grease, new pad retainer springs and I even put on another caliper with the same result. After applying the brake and release, the caliper let's go, but not completely. The piston goes in fairly easy, I can push it in with both of my hands and thumbs. So it isn't sticking. I noticed that the bigger pin that just slides in the aluminum housing kinda jambs a little in there and needs a little knock to let go. I also put a new pin on there and the bore in the housing isn't wallered out either.  I guess the thing must be designed that way..

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 09/03/12 at 12:32:46

Yep,, thats why race cars run Brembo brakes. They are designed to pull the pads away from the disk, saving a fraction of a H/P & allowing better cooling. All disk brakes on consumer products that I can afford just stop grabbing the disk & the pads slightly rub until asked to grab it again,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #10 - 09/03/12 at 12:46:36

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/03/12 at 12:32:46:
Yep,, thats why race cars run Brembo brakes. They are designed to pull the pads away from the disk, saving a fraction of a H/P & allowing better cooling. All disk brakes on consumer products that I can afford just stop grabbing the disk & the pads slightly rub until asked to grab it again,

Just about all car manufacturers now have brakes that don't drag any simply for the extra 0.1mpg gained by no brake drag.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 09/03/12 at 12:52:02

Id be happy to look at that. You got any idea what I should look up?

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/03/12 at 17:57:25

If you're really looking for the "Period" look, the 4LS brake is gonna be the one for sure. As far as its performance, I'm not familiar with it at all, but if it was sufficient at best for the 3 cylinder 750 Water Buffalo, it could be scary strong on your striped down RYCA Savage...

For nearly the same look, and a whole lot less money, is it worth it to you to consider a 2LS unit? One from a GT550 maybe?

And if you're gonna do all that, you're gonna HAVE to lace up some 18" high shouldered rims to it too... JohninKalifornia and I can tell you all about how much fun that was...

Add and extra $150-$200 per rim, (I actually have an extra rim that would be perfect for you if you want it...) plus $120 for a set of spokes from Buchannan's...

That would be a super HOT set up

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #13 - 09/04/12 at 07:30:15

Is the width of the GT750 front end the same as the Savage? If it's not, it doesn't matter if the brake will bolt up or if the axle-diameter is the same, the caliper won't clear. You're better off swapping the whole front end. I'm also not sure why you'd need to swap the lever and "cable" over(it's a hose or line, not a cable). The lines aren't welded on, they're bolted on.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #14 - 09/04/12 at 11:45:43

Cavi Mike wrote on 09/04/12 at 07:30:15:
Is the width of the GT750 front end the same as the Savage? If it's not, it doesn't matter if the brake will bolt up or if the axle-diameter is the same, the caliper won't clear. You're better off swapping the whole front end. I'm also not sure why you'd need to swap the lever and "cable" over(it's a hose or line, not a cable). The lines aren't welded on, they're bolted on.

You are confused.  This thing is a 4LS drum brake,... no caliper anywhere near it,... no hose either.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 23:26:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Suzuki GT750 Water Buffalo Front Brake

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.