Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tool Gurus - What are These? (Read 191 times)
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Tool Gurus - What are These?
09/02/12 at 18:21:52

I am writing a technical document (that has to do with this project – that's what makes this post motorcycle-related (don't worry, the referenced site is a good one and they won't spam you....)).

I need the proper name of these tools:

I was thinkin' something like “socket thumbwheels,” but, if I Google that term, I don't get these things.

What is the proper name of these tools?

TIA!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Tool Gurus - What are These?
Reply #1 - 09/02/12 at 18:36:16

I call it a ratchet spinner,.. but it don't Goggle well either... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #2 - 09/02/12 at 19:01:23

Digger wrote on 09/02/12 at 18:21:52:
I am writing a technical document (that has to do with this project – that's what makes this post motorcycle-related .

I need the proper name of these tools:

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee201/Digger109/Garage/SocketThumbwheelsE.jpg

I was thinkin' something like “socket thumbwheels,” but, if I Google that term, I don't get these things.

What is the proper name of these tools?

TIA!

They're called speed discs. Here is a socket set that has one in the description: http://www.buy.com/prod/michigan-industrial-tools-socket-set-no-plug-promo-40...

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #3 - 09/02/12 at 19:08:20

Speed discs.  You can't buy them anymore because they come already installed on the ratchet as was mentioned above.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Greg-E
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/02/12 at 20:37:49

And someone needs a new socket, the chrome cracks off when the metal flexes.

IP Logged
SaVaGeEaRL

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgetown, KY
Reply #5 - 09/02/12 at 20:49:28

Everyone I have ever worked with called them ratchet spinners and they now are made with a small extension into them. You can still get them from snap on and they are called ratchet spinners in the catalog.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools.asp?tool=all&Group_ID=674903&store=snapo...

IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #6 - 09/03/12 at 04:16:02

SaVaGeEaRL wrote on 09/02/12 at 20:49:28:
Everyone I have ever worked with called them ratchet spinners and they now are made with a small extension into them. You can still get them from snap on and they are called ratchet spinners in the catalog.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools.asp?tool=all&Group_ID=674903&store=snapo...

Earl, I have 1/4" and a 3/8 ratchet spinners, very handy tool. The  post that the socket snaps onto is part of the tool. The attachments that Digger posted pics of are speed discs and they snap over the post on the ratchet. Maybe they have changed names as they evolved into the newer style tool? I notice some of the newer type with the post can accept a ratchet in the back of em like an extension. It seems that the speed discs are only available in less expensive ratchet sets. Have you seen any being sold seperately?

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #7 - 09/03/12 at 04:43:45

I have an old socket set with a molded case, the spot for it on there has it as "Socket Wrench Wheel" LOL

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #8 - 09/03/12 at 05:23:40

ToesNose wrote on 09/03/12 at 04:43:45:
I have an old socket set with a molded case, the spot for it on there has it as "Socket Wrench Wheel" LOL

Toesnose, I'm starting to get the feeling there is no one specific name for these.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
SaVaGeEaRL

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgetown, KY
Reply #9 - 09/03/12 at 06:14:43

87 savage wrote on 09/03/12 at 04:16:02:
SaVaGeEaRL wrote on 09/02/12 at 20:49:28:

Earl, I have 1/4" and a 3/8 ratchet spinners, very handy tool. The  post that the socket snaps onto is part of the tool. The attachments that Digger posted pics of are speed discs and they snap over the post on the ratchet. Maybe they have changed names as they evolved into the newer style tool? I notice some of the newer type with the post can accept a ratchet in the back of em like an extension. It seems that the speed discs are only available in less expensive ratchet sets. Have you seen any being sold seperately?

Nope, I've not seen them sold separately.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #10 - 09/03/12 at 06:27:35

My current wife would call them grooved spinny-around thingies.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
SaVaGeEaRL

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgetown, KY
Reply #11 - 09/03/12 at 08:31:15

Gyrobob wrote on 09/03/12 at 06:27:35:
My current wife would call them grooved spinny-around thingies.

+1 hahaa

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #12 - 09/03/12 at 20:10:14

Thanks to lots of clues, I found out what Craftsman calls these tools:

Ratchet Speeder Discs

I realize they are made to pop on a ratchet so you can speed things up after the subject fastener is loose, but I was using my 1/4” drive ratchet speeder disc for another reason:

I put an aftermarket saddlebag rack on my 2007 KLR 650.  Because of the rack, I can no longer get my #3 JIS screwdriver on the port side cover's rear-most mounting screw to get said screw started square and true:

As you can see, said screw is positioned down a narrow recess.  To the right of the screw, you can see the luggage rack's port side rail (silver colored).  Said side rail precludes the use of a screwdriver that is wide at that point (e.g. if a screwdriver's handle was there, it would not fit).  Also, the black square tubing (seen in the foreground), part of the aftermarket saddlebag rack, will not let me get a straight shot at the screw using a long-shafted screwdriver.

While I have no trouble loosening said screw (using a long-shafted #3 JIS screwdriver – it doesn't need to be absolutely square and true to loosen said screw), I was finding it impossible to get said screw started using said screwdriver without threatening a cross-thread.

Clearly, I needed to find (or make) a screwdriver that had the needed dimensions.

Neither of these two screwdrivers worked:

The larger of the two stubby Phillips screwdrivers was too long (i.e. it hit the black tubing).  The shorter of the two had a handle that was too large to fit into the recess.....and the shaft was otherwise too short to get the screw to its hole.

I tried a finger grip socket adapter:

But, as I had no Phillips bits of the proper length, this, too, was a non-starter.

So, I cobbled this together:

This is a #3 Phillips bit in a standard 1/4” bit driver, which is on the end of a very short 1/4” drive extension, with a 1/4” drive ratchet speeder disc, topped off by a 1/4” drive socket cap.  It turned out to be exactly what the doctor ordered:

Thanks, everyone, for your help!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #13 - 09/05/12 at 20:31:02

Digger wrote on 09/03/12 at 20:10:14:
This is a #3 Phillips bit in a standard 1/4” bit driver, which is on the end of a very short 1/4” drive extension, with a 1/4” drive ratchet speeder disc, topped off by a 1/4” drive socket cap.  It turned out to be exactly what the doctor ordered:

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee201/Digger109/KLR650/PortSidecoverRearSc...

Thanks, everyone, for your help!

Nice job Digger, looks like a specialty tool!  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 13:31:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tool Gurus - What are These?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.