YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: 25 MPG?!?! WTF?
Reply #15 - 09/03/12 at 10:57:54

Bobber Fett wrote on 09/03/12 at 10:23:30:
I replaced the pilot with the 47.5 and the main with the 155 (went back to stock).  The float seemed lose.  Does this mean that my gas mileage will go down???

It won't go up... Grin...

25 mpg?...  are you sure you don't just suck at math?... Huh...
I know I do... Huh...
... are you towing a Hummer?... Huh...
... are you running a roller skate wheel for a rear tire?... Huh...

It's just impossibly bad mpg's...
Not possible... I swear...  

Seriously,... something is way not right... does bike have the power of a moped?...
I mean,.. if it's actually using this amount of fuel to propel you.... it must be internally near death...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Bobber Fett

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #16 - 09/03/12 at 11:12:03

Justin: Timing could be off, but it would be the previous owner's fault Smiley.  I switched out for a verslavy at 20,000 and the cam chain seemed fine.  If so, I'll have to wait until I pull the top off the engine to check...

Versy, I will definitely do the bowl check, but itll have to wait until I can get to the store to replace the rusty nut in the drain plug.

Sero, I get 56 miles between each filling of the tank and having to switch to reserve (I take pictures of the mileage with my iphone every time the tank dies, average is 56 miles between).  When I refill the tank, I put in 2.3 gallons on average (usually within a mile or 2 of where it dies).  Math adds up to just under 25.  Bike seems pretty happy, and a compression test showed 125 PSI (service limit is 114).

Speaking of, isn't the tank supposed to be 2.8 gallons total with a reserve tank of 1 gallon.  Shouldn't I only be putting in 1.8 gallons?

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #17 - 09/03/12 at 11:19:34

The raptor petcock changes the main/reserve levels.  you have more from the main with a raptor then you do with the stock petcock so your reserve amount will be less.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Bobber Fett

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #18 - 09/03/12 at 11:23:48

Thanks R.F.

Do you know what the new levels will be?

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #19 - 09/03/12 at 11:35:43

The worst mileage I get is 35mpg, that is when I really let it fly on the superslab for longer periods of time and with some commuting to work in town on the same tank of gas. Usually I'm between 45-50mpg. But I really would like to know what it takes to do only 25mpg.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 09/03/12 at 15:02:54

Bobber Fett wrote on 09/03/12 at 11:23:48:
Thanks R.F.

Do you know what the new levels will be?

Here is the measurements I got on the stock and Raptor petcock.

"The stock petcock provides 78 oz of fuel on reserve, while the Raptor provides 60 oz of fuel on RESERVE - this is without shaking the bike to get any remaining fuel out of the right side of the tank and you may get more when actually riding.  If you got 55 MPG on your bike the stock petcock provides 33.5 miles of reserve and the Raptor provides 25.7 miles of reserve."

You can go to this link if you want the pictures that show the different heights of the reserve tubes:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1340021926

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #21 - 09/03/12 at 15:46:23

I never measured it to find out what the capacities were after the change.  I just pull into the fuel stop approx every 100 miles just like I did before the change. I've only gone maybe 110miles before fueling up so I haven't hit the reserve yet on mine. Most I've put in my bike for fuel up is 2.2 gallons

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #22 - 09/03/12 at 17:54:18

What's weird on mine is when I first got it, it started to sputter at around 100 miles and switched it to reserve. Then it took pretty much exactly 2 gallons to fill it up. Some few years ago whenever it started to sputter and I switched to reserve and then filled it up, it only took 1.8 gallons anymore. And it has been like that ever since. A couple of years ago I bought a new petcork and installed it, because I thought it had to do with that, but it didn't help the problem. Has my tank shrunk?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 09/04/12 at 08:30:12

ralfyguy wrote on 09/03/12 at 17:54:18:
What's weird on mine is when I first got it, it started to sputter at around 100 miles and switched it to reserve. Then it took pretty much exactly 2 gallons to fill it up. Some few years ago whenever it started to sputter and I switched to reserve and then filled it up, it only took 1.8 gallons anymore. And it has been like that ever since. A couple of years ago I bought a new petcork and installed it, because I thought it had to do with that, but it didn't help the problem. Has my tank shrunk?

Did you install a larger rear tire or taller shocks?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #24 - 09/04/12 at 21:03:15

Dave wrote on 09/04/12 at 08:30:12:
ralfyguy wrote on 09/03/12 at 17:54:18:

Did you install a larger rear tire or taller shocks?

I changed from the stock IRC rear tire to the same spec Dunlop K555. This one is in fact a little meatier. But should the really make that much of a difference?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #25 - 09/04/12 at 21:19:40

When ya first got it, did you ride real careful & exit corners gently?

IOW, has your riding style changed? Do you twist the grip more now?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #26 - 09/05/12 at 10:43:42

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/04/12 at 21:19:40:
When ya first got it, did you ride real careful & exit corners gently?

IOW, has your riding style changed? Do you twist the grip more now?

It definitely has changed, but my point is that whenever I DO switch to reserve, it will only fill 1.8 gallons in there instead 2 gallons when I got it. This isn't really related to the mileage. In the beginning at the point I switched to reserve and fueled up it counted 2 gallons. Now it counts only 1.8 doing the same. Where did I loose .0.2 gallons of capacity?

IP Logged
Bobber Fett

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #27 - 09/05/12 at 10:46:12

I think I drive pretty much the same way as when I got it... not a ton of acceleration on my drive to work.  Mostly through a small college town where the speed limit is 35.

I'm completely stumped as to how it gets 25 MPG.  What components could introduce enough friction to do that?

Would bad valve seating affect the MPG through loss of compression?  Anyone check their compression lately and have a ballpark on what to expect?

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #28 - 09/05/12 at 10:46:38

Well today I went further then 100 miles before fueling up  Still didn't hit reserve but I think I should have been dang close.  It took 2.36 gallons to fill it.  So that tells me there is less then 1/2 gallon for reserve but still don't know the exact amount yet.

R.F.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #29 - 09/05/12 at 10:49:22

Check that your wheels are turning freely... a tight rear brake will suck mileage...
... check that the belt ain't overly tight either...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 05:25:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 25 MPG?!?! WTF?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.