Final Check List (Read 419 times)
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Final Check List
08/30/12 at 14:27:35

OK folks, I am planning on leaving a week from tomorrow on a 1,800 mile round trip from central Kentucky to the Adirondacks in upstate New York to see the oldest daughter, her husband and the three grandchildren. This will be my first trip longer than the 300 mile one day shakedown run I went on last week. I only began riding in April of this year and have logged about 2,500 miles since taking the MSF course. I appreciate your input on my check list and preparations. I would hate to go into "Oh Crud" mode halfway there because I neglected something obvious.

THE BIKE
2007 S40
6100 Miles
Memphis Shades Slim windshield
Routy's froward controls
Air Hawk 2 seat pad
Good Tires
Fresh Oil Change (and no, I will not comment on the brand, let's just say it is a new oil called "Klotella" and leave it at that)
Valves adjusted at 5K
Fresh clutch cable adjustment and cable lube
Fresh EBC pads and brake fluid change
New battery in April
12V fused power outlet

RIDING GEAR
Army desert boots
Spare set of boot laces
Fieldsheer mesh pants
Tour Master rain pants
Tour Master waterproof boot covers
Fieldsheer mesh jacket
Fieldsheer Aqua rain jacket
Vented leather gloves
Joe Rocket rainproof gauntlets
Rainproof balaclava
Bell full face helmet

TOOLS and SPARES
1/4" socket set to 14 mm plus a 17mm for the plug
Wrenches from 10mm to 17mm
Screw driver with changeable Phillips and flat bits
Allen wrench set
Needle nose pliers
Slip joint pliers
Flashlight
Air pressure gauge
Roll of electric tape
Wire ties
New spark plug, pre-gapped
Headlight bulb (installed the 9003 and kept the old one as a spare)
Rear turn signal bulb
Front turn signal/running light/brake light bulb
Oil (still anonymous)
Paper oil funnels
Rag to keep it neat
Heavy zip-lock plastic bag for the oil and rag
Patch kit for the Air Hawk
Wood block to bring the bike about level for oil check

OTHER
Saddlemen BR-3400 tail bag with backrest (closeout for $85, great deal)
Maps with preplanned route and stops
Cellphone with charger
GPS with charger
Camera with charger
Discover Card
Visa Debit Card
My entire cash life savings, $87, plus $1.50 in quarters for the air machine
Added 24/7 roadside assistance for the insurance policy
Advil
Makers Mark

As much as it sounds, i mocked up the tail bag over the weekend and, excluding the riding gear, it came in at 28 pounds including clothes and toiletries. (Do real bikers carry toiletries? I am not talking cologne and styling gel, just a razor and toothbrush. hmmm just a thought)

I plan to allow three days each way on the back roads staying mainly on US highways and off the Interstates and state roads.

Thanks in advance for your input and wish me luck.

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Final Check List
Reply #1 - 08/30/12 at 15:14:59

There's a few 8mm on the somewheres... (maybe just the turn signals?...
23mm for rear wheel...
Couple 'a water bottles?...
Sunblock...
Choc chip cookies...
TP.?... Huh...

Have fun... Wink...
Ohhh!... camera!...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #2 - 08/30/12 at 15:24:16

If you have room you might think about a quart of fuel just in case. On my way home from the tail of the dragon I was getting low so i stopped to fill up (the pick-up truck) and the power was out from a storm the previous day. I didn't have enough to get to where the power was on but I had a small amount in a gas can and the savage had about a half tank so I made it but it could have been a problem. I wasn't planning on power outages when I was planning my gas stops.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #3 - 08/30/12 at 15:32:01

Like serowbot said TP and some alcohol wipes to clean with......road side bathrooms can be not so inviting  Shocked

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #4 - 08/30/12 at 18:15:16

I'm only 59, but the first thing I get straight is my meds. BP, Cholesterol, pain. Zip ties take up no room and weigh less than Helium. Definitely take a camera and a phone. I also carry flat fixer that says it works in tubes. If I want to go outside my comfort zone, I have a friend ready with a trailer who can get to me within 24 hours. We had an agreement that I would pay for his gas and trouble even though he said he wouldn't take it. He was also familiar with my route. Fix up an ICE card or two in case you get knocked out.  Go prepared for trouble and expect to have fun.  Wink

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #5 - 08/30/12 at 18:36:29

Boofer wrote on 08/30/12 at 18:15:16:
I'm only 59, but the first thing I get straight is my meds. BP, Cholesterol, pain. Zip ties take up no room and weigh less than Helium. Definitely take a camera and a phone. I also carry flat fixer that says it works in tubes. If I want to go outside my comfort zone, I have a friend ready with a trailer who can get to me within 24 hours. We had an agreement that I would pay for his gas and trouble even though he said he wouldn't take it. He was also familiar with my route. Fix up an ICE card or two in case you get knocked out.  Go prepared for trouble and expect to have fun.  Wink

Often, those who get rid of all wheat/grains/sugar have to stop taking BP meds because their BP gets too low.  Same for cholesterol meds and pain meds,... these situations improve so much the meds are not necessary anymore.

Another thing I like about it for motorcycle travel is that I don't have to worry about eating at all during the trip.  
-- The appetite decreases so much you can ride all day and, if you want, completely forget about food stops.  
-- I go to Daytona every year.  
   --- I used to always plan out an eating schedule of where to stop for food, which snacks to carry with me, etc.  
   --- On this last trip I skipped eating altogether.  Not one hunger pang.  No distractions.  It feels liberating.

« Last Edit: 09/01/12 at 06:13:04 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 08/30/12 at 20:29:15

The body makes cholesterol to Repair weak spots in blood vessels. Vitamin C ( which we dont make) allows us to make collagen, which is the building block of the blood vessels,.Take C, daily, to bowel tolerance, then back off a little. Vessels will get stronger, cholesterol will decrease.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #7 - 08/31/12 at 03:06:08

Once this is complete, it should go in the tech section.  
It may contain things that some won't want to take, but it would be a nice reminder of things you you have forgotten!

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
tizzyfit

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/31/12 at 10:04:06

Blinky, first and foremost, ENJOY YOURSELF!  Is your route primarily secondary roads or interstate?  300 miles a day seems reasonable enough.  Ride defensively and take lots of pictures.

IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #9 - 08/31/12 at 10:11:16

The packing list looks great but I don't see any clothes listed.  I'd advise taking a couple more pairs of socks that you've planned to take, just in case.  It's nice to have dry socks on even if you're putting on wet boots.

My only other comment is if you're looking at 900 miles one-way in 3 days, you're talking 300 miles a day.  I did Cincinnati to Bowling Green at the beginning of this summer which is a little over 230 miles and I was wiped at the end of the that day and I'm slightly younger than you at 47.  300 miles doesn't sound like much but when you avoid the super-slabs, you spend a large amount of time doing between 25 and 40 and that means an 8+ hour day in the saddle.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
mojohand40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/31/12 at 12:57:28

That's a long trip. Good list! The longest trip I did in a day was about 360 miles on a Ninja 250 mostly secondary roads. Brutal...but fun. Took about 9 hours or so.
Anyway, two things you might want to stash somewhere: Duct tape and some Zip ties. You'd be surprised how many things you can repair with just those things if you have to!
Have fun, ride safe, take lots of breaks!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 09/01/12 at 09:55:07

Don't forget a small pack of spare fuses; usually 4-5 in a little metal or plastic box for a few bucks.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 09/01/12 at 16:44:02

Ive heard of [people doing a Pre TRip dry run, where they get all the stuff they want together & start packing it on. Sometimes, they just said NO to a few things.
I wouldnt do it unless I had some kinda road side assistance insurance, including towing to a repair facility qualified to repair my bike. Not just "The next town"..

I know of no product that will fix a flat on a tube type tire, I spent about $20.00 on fixaflat stuff to get from Tyler to Longview. On a fairly new rear tire, on a straight stretch at 65 or so, its okay even if its almost flat.
Front tire? Youre parked,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #13 - 09/02/12 at 15:52:45

Thanks for all the input. I have added a few things based on your comments.

I intended to use an older Panasonic video recorder mounted to the bike for some motion video. I tried an ebay handlebar mount and then two home-brewed attempts but the video was so shakey it was all but unwatchable. I took the plunge and bought a Go Pro Hero Naked camera from Best Buy for $129. It does not come with memory but I already have a 32GB SDHC card which should give me several hours at top resolution.

I gave it a test today and have attached the you tube link. I was very impressed with the stability of the image. The video is nothing special, just around the block for about 5 minutes and then some old guy spending the next minute or two trying to figure out how to turn the dern thing off.
http://youtu.be/UP_wNHpc7Xk

Thanks again and I will post updates when I get back on the 16th.

Good Hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 09/02/12 at 19:45:27

What a great picture..no blur, bike sounds like a sewin machine,, I kept leanin my head back, tryin to see on up the road. I think if ya tilted the camera up a bit so your mirrors & such are out of the pic it mite be better.
If theres a Mic plug, you mite consider getting one & pokin in it. You could leave yourself verbal notes as you film, for when you edit later & it would kill the wind noise. Sounds like the sewin machine is trying to give birth to a hay baler..

Man, how tall Are you? I was almost nauseated by the time you sat down,

& remember, if youre filming, dont run a stop sign,,

Re: Rowboats post about how amazing technology is.. 1971, in high school, they had a camera to film us & we could watch ourselves in a mock job interview,.No telling what that big, clunky, sorry pictured, lousy audio havin piece of crud cost. Your $130.00 camera KICKS its Butt!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:32:31

General CategoryThe Cafe › Final Check List

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.