Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
leaky #$%@*!! clutch cover.... (Read 127 times)
mojohand40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

leaky #$%@*!! clutch cover....
08/30/12 at 07:11:44

..I did the verslavy mod a few weeks ago..then had to do the Raptor mod (which worked aces!!)...and finally got to ride the Savage to work again...but then when leaving...I spy a big oil stain under my bike.

I'm not one hundred percent sure the leak is coming from the clutch cover gasket...but since I replaced it..I'm about 99% sure. It's hard to tell because the whole bottom of the engine was covered in oil when I got it home.
Also, when I parked the bike at home, I put a board on the ground to catch any oil dripping...but after the bike cooled down, I got no more drips.. (and yes, I checked my oil level, and it seemed okay).
I DID switch to a synthetic oil when I did the cam chain tensioner..if that matters..
Anyway, any thoughts?
should I just try and re-torque all the cover bolts? Should I pop the cover and inspect the gasket and try again with the old gasket? Should I bite the bullet and just get a new gasket?
..or should I kick this bike over and take a hammer to it? ...jk..jk...sorta'

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: leaky #$%@*!! clutch cover....
Reply #1 - 08/30/12 at 07:57:33

should I just try and re-torque all the cover bolts?

Yes,, BUT, is a lot easier to pull it & clean surfaces up & start over than pull it, clean surfaces & start over After repairing a stripped thread or  removing a broken off bolt. I had to do that when I went with No Sealer on one side of that gasket. You can leave the peg on if you use an end wrench. Wipe it off & FEEL of the bolts. Theyll tell you when theyve reached Max clamping force.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 08/30/12 at 08:09:00

sounds like a pressure induced leak.
rather just leaking from anywhere.
so, check the oil filter 1st.
next there are 2 plugs, 1 on the bottom of the clutch cover and 1 on the front of the case.

then check the torque on all the cover bolts, don't over torque them.

WWW   IP Logged
LouSiana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hannover, Germany
Reply #3 - 08/30/12 at 08:17:53

maybe the gasket has moved a bit while mounting the cover.
And are you sure you removed all particles from the old gasket and made no remarkable scratches on the sealing faces?

best you can do: determine exactly where it is leaking and have a spare gasket on the shelf. I personally additionally  apply some little non hardening gasket like Hylomar. No silicone sealing. (of course only there where it is needed and useful)

IP Logged
mojohand40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/30/12 at 08:46:15

verslagen1 wrote on 08/30/12 at 08:09:00:
sounds like a pressure induced leak.
rather just leaking from anywhere.
so, check the oil filter 1st.
next there are 2 plugs, 1 on the bottom of the clutch cover and 1 on the front of the case.

then check the torque on all the cover bolts, don't over torque them.

hmm...interesting. I didn't think of that, but it kind of makes sense. I was trying careful to not put in too much oil, but...after the leaking fiasco, I checked the oil a minute after I got it home and it seemed like the level was on the high mark. Maybe caused a pressure leak?
You said there are two plugs; 1 on the bottom of the clutch cover and 1 on the front of the case. This isn't counting the oil drain plug? right? What do I check these for? See if they are loose? or....?
Like I said, it's hard to see where the leak is, even though it was a lot of oil.
As for the oil filter, what should I check? I'm 99.9% sure that it's installed correctly.
BTW: I just ordered a new gasket, just in case.

Thanks For the help!!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 08/30/12 at 09:13:19

Wipe it off..If its not leaking just sitting there..think about it.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 08/30/12 at 09:15:17

The first thing to do is wash the oil off and clean things up.  Then wipe everything down and get it squeaky clean.  Then......see if oil weeps from the gasket with the engine off.  You might have to lean the bike more upright to get the oil level correct on the right side of the bike.

If that doesn't show anything.....then start the bike up and run it for a few minutes (without riding it as that will only blow the oil around and make it hard to find the source).  Then shut it off and look for a leak.  Did you get the 3 sealing washers in the correct places?

If you used a new gasket and there were no scrapes or nicks in the clutch cover or engine case - you should not have to use any sealant.  It should not be necessary to tighten the screws more than you can get with a screwdriver style handle on the socket or a short 1/4" ratchet.....these bolts are supposed to be torqued to a very long number and should only be very snug.......not two-handed tight.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #7 - 08/30/12 at 18:25:32

When I installed my Verslavy, I torqued those clutch cover bolts to 3-5 ft-lbs.  I did it in two stages using a cross pattern (I'd tighten one bolt, then count 7 bolts clockwise, then tighten that bolt, then count 7 more bolts clockwise, then tighten that bolt.....and so on).

No leaks.

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
mojohand40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/31/12 at 12:48:03

Well, I cleaned it up, started it, didn't really see a leak...so....I went for a ride.
Came back, checked it again, and yep..it's leaking. I'm pretty sure it's the gasket. Looks like it's leaking where that little rubber boot goes into the lower left corner. What the heck is that thing?
Anyway..I got a gasket on order, will try again.

I'm thinking where the alignment pins are is where I had problems as that's a hard area to clean. Those pins pull out right?
I'll try that next time (and then of course put them back in after a thorough cleaning off of the old gasket.
Thanks!

IP Logged
LouSiana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hannover, Germany
Reply #9 - 08/31/12 at 13:07:32

Quote:
Looks like it's leaking where that little rubber boot goes into the lower left corner. What the heck is that thing?

That one with the blue wire? That's the wire from the neutral-switch.
(later models can have three wires there, depending for which country)
Take off the clutch cover, clean well and add there a bit of silicone gasket. Maybe the boot has a bit shrunk over time or collected up some debris.

Take the opportunity and have a look for the O-ring on the shaft of the clutch lever. Mabe it's worn.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 04:22:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › leaky #$%@*!! clutch cover....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.