Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
removing fender side rails... (Read 266 times)
mojohand40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

removing fender side rails...
08/30/12 at 07:03:12

I need to replace my rear turn sigs. One was broken when I bought it ( a well worn 1998) It's held to the stem with a hose clamp at the moment. I got some other turn sigs that will work laying around in my shed, but I'm feeling lazy and don't feel like removing the rear wheel to get the fender and side rails off.
In thinking about it, It occurred to me that if I jack the rear wheel off the ground and remove the shocks, it MAY be possible that the swingarm will drop enough that I can get access to the side rail bolts inside the fender.

Is this wishful thinking or has anybody tried this? Taking off the rear wheel is a pain and I don't want to unless I have to.  I just had the rear wheel off my Shadow and replaced the sprockets and chain last weekend...one of those "2 hour" jobs that took me about 5 hours...arrrrgh!

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Re: removing fender side rails...
Reply #1 - 08/30/12 at 07:09:09

I was able to reach up in there with a wrench and make it happen without jacking up the bike.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
mojohand40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/30/12 at 07:13:49

Greg wrote on 08/30/12 at 07:09:09:
I was able to reach up in there with a wrench and make it happen without jacking up the bike.

..hmmm, I can barely get a finger in between the wheel and fender on the right side.

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #3 - 08/30/12 at 07:23:45

mojohand40 wrote on 08/30/12 at 07:13:49:
Greg wrote on 08/30/12 at 07:09:09:

..hmmm, I can barely get a finger in between the wheel and fender on the right side.

Don't need a finger. Use a ratcheting wrench.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/30/12 at 08:00:19

If jackin it up doesnt give you what ya need & ya just dont wanna spend any $$$ on tools, maybe dropping the shocks would be easier than pulling the wheel. IDK if just one end will come off or which wopuld be easier, just a thot..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #5 - 08/30/12 at 08:41:36

i'm not saying it was easy, a little crowded, but i've taken them on and off without removing the wheel.  if you can figure a way to lift the fender i,e, extend the shocks,( i think i put a nylon strap around the fender- hooked a comealong to that and lifted a little to a ceiling beam (?) ), might make a little more room in there.

ps I have a slightly oversized tire 140-90

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #6 - 08/30/12 at 09:08:35

take the license plate holder off, then use a 1/4" drive ratchet reaching in from the rear.  You will have plenty of room then.  That's how I did it.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Johnny57

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minneapolis
Reply #7 - 08/30/12 at 10:30:27

I just did it myself without removing the rear wheel.  It is a little tight but I have seen a lot worse.  The two Chrome nuts towards the front are on the outside of the fender and bolts just push through.  The third bolt is farther to the rear and threads into machined hole from inside.  Once you break it it might even turn most of the way by hand.  Lay on the floor and look up and you will see it all.  Give it a rip.  It is not that difficult but there is some weight if you still have sissy bar connected.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 08/30/12 at 10:57:30

IMHO, those side rails have to go ... ugliest part of the savage.
Remove em and put on color matched ammo cases ...

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 08/30/12 at 11:25:00

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/30/12 at 08:00:19:
If jackin it up doesnt give you what ya need & ya just dont wanna spend any $$$ on tools, maybe dropping the shocks would be easier than pulling the wheel. IDK if just one end will come off or which wopuld be easier, just a thot..

take the lower shock nut off, push the bolt in and you should be able to take the shock off from the swingarm.  then jack it up as high as you need.

and that's the way is and you are there.

WWW   IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/30/12 at 11:58:38

Just like Greg I just reached up and did it.  Had lots of room and I'm still using the stock struts.

--Steve

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #11 - 08/30/12 at 19:36:00

I have a newer model (2008) but I have plenty of room to reach up in there with a ratcheting wrench and remove the inside bolts as others noted...and have done it several times recently working on the lights and adding a new sissy bar and side pillars, etc. I have sorta small hands, but anything beats not having to remove the wheels, struts or anything else just for two bolts.

If you can't get in there. find a small neighborhood kid and offer him $5 to get his hands in there for you.   Smiley

Good luck!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 08/30/12 at 20:13:46

Uh, Hi,, Mr. Walker,, uhhh,, can Billy come over?

Why? Ohh,, well,, ya see,, he has about the right size hands for a little job Im doin,,

Yea,, I can see it now,.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #13 - 08/30/12 at 20:47:29

You can remove the rear fender side rails with out a jack, with it on the kickstand.

IP Logged
heroicseven

oops, I broke it.

San Diego
Reply #14 - 08/31/12 at 21:25:49

+1 Got mine whole fender off in about 35minutes. It helps to have a ratcheting socket, and some different depth/length sockets. Good luck!!

00' raptor - supertrapp - 52.5 - 155 - half spacer - versaved
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 14:33:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › removing fender side rails...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.