Who has heated gear? (Read 304 times)
mnefred
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Coupeville, WA
Re: Who has heated gear?
Reply #15 - 09/12/12 at 16:53:01

If you don't have one already, a windshield is easily the number one thing you can do to keep your core warm. The other thing I heartily recommend is Hippo Hands. I commute all year 'round down into the mid 30's still wearing my summer gloves. I just add a pair of the thin inner liners from the local Harley shop when the temps stay in the lower 40's and below.
Beyond that, it's just a matter of adjusting the layer count and waterproofing to match the expected weather.

Mark & Evelyn
2011 S40 with Routy's FC's, Memphis Shade Slim w/s and lowers, Protac backrest, EBAY hard saddlebags
  IP Logged
Joe F

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 09/12/12 at 17:41:42

Gerbig heated gloves connected to a wire that runs out the back of my coat to a wire that comes out under the seat.  They are great and they don't draw too much power from the Savage electrical system.  

I have a full windshield , TPG pants and a waterproof codura crash coat with liner.  That is good down to a little under 40 degrees F. I add an airbag vest or windproof shell and I'm good down to just under 30.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #17 - 09/13/12 at 06:06:05

Hello all.

I ride in Roma all year long, because traffic in medieval streets packed beyond hope WILL kill all hope...
... but when it's still dark out there and the thermometer out the window says it's below freezing, you don't care if the ride to work is 45 miles in top gear or 10 miles in stop&go traffic, it's cold nonetheless.

Although my big BMW does have heated grips, I use very thiock winter gloves so the heated grips are a waste, and they are switched off.

On cold days I use a cordura riding jacket by an Italian manufacturer by the name of TUCANO URBANO

My Tucano Urbano "URBIS" sports a nice plush winter padding + an extra winter vest - definitely warm !

Velvet riding trousers and thick riding boots. Thick rainproof riding gloves which go up beyond the wrist; hands protected by handguards (library pic)

On the really cold days, I replace my riding gloves with riding mittens , although the "sniper's mittens" aren't bad either

Under my FF helmet I wear a silk balaklava, very thin but very warm.

Sorry for the oversize pics, I still have to learn how to resize them.

Funny how one thinks Rome to be a hot (warm) city, in the winter it hovers around/below freezing for weeks on end...

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 09/13/12 at 07:11:57

Awesome picture. I've always wanted to visit Italy. My grandfather is the last purebred Italian in my family.

I like the vest. I like the jacket too but leather is more my style. I do have a windshield but it's not much. There is a write up to add lowers to it with lexan from Home Depot. I don't care for windshields to begin with but I might have to make it a seasonal thing.

Going to check out helmets and gauntlets tonight.

--Steve

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 09/09/13 at 09:35:56

Almost a year ago, eh? I never went out that night.

Did a ton of reading.
Magnet wire, nichrome wire, teflon wire.
Settled on teflon wire.
Did some math, bought a pulse width modulator off ebay.
I made my own shirt.

Nice and toasty at 50%. The plan now is to make some gloves and pants.

Let me know if that doesn't load.
I need gauntlets.

--Steve

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #20 - 09/09/13 at 13:13:05

doesn't load

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 09/10/13 at 09:22:09

How about now?
I have to take another pic of the shirt itself. For how cheap and easy... I don't know why I didn't sooner. Pants this weekend.
someone in thr Ryca build had a nice set of outlets. Jacks. I want to get something similar. For now I will be using molex connectors from a car in the junk yard.

--Steve

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 01:20:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Who has heated gear?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.