Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
That'll buff right out! (Read 400 times)
butters
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

That'll buff right out!
08/29/12 at 06:29:10

Hey guys,

I've been lurking for a couple of weeks, just bought and brought home an 07 and can't wait to ride it.

I've got 2 dents in the tank and I'd like to pop them out with the hair dryer/compressed air trick.  Have any of you tried this? Any tips?

Thanks very much!

butters

2012-08-28_22_04_24.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: That'll buff right out!
Reply #1 - 08/29/12 at 06:46:27

I doubt it you are going to have any luck with dry ice of a hair dryer......or even the Ding King!  Most of those might work on auto sheet metal that is getting thinner all the time, and it mostly works on things that are just gentle bumps that don't have any creases.  Motorcycle fuel tanks have much thicker metal than car fenders/hoods/etc., and the tank is very difficult to gently push back into shape.

There is limited access to the inside of a tank to allow you to hammer the dent out - so pulling the dent out with weld on studs is mostly used.  Using compressed air doesn't work - as you will blow up the tank before it can push out a dent - the compressed air will push on the entire tank surface equally and not just on the dented portion.  A few pounds of air pressure can exert hundreds of pounds of force on the tank seams.

Your best bet is to either buy a better tank, or find a body shop with stud pullers, fill it with bondo......or send it to people that specialize in tank repair.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #2 - 08/29/12 at 07:01:56

new tank time - i have fought these type of dents before - and lost every time - get a used tank in better condition and clean it out good and seal it with POR-15 - you will spend less time effort and money, trust me, been there done that.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/29/12 at 07:03:50

The local renta-center has a stud gun & studs & slide hammer for rent.
What I dont know is, when the stud is welded on, is that hot enough to lite gas fumes? I wouldnt use them till I had drained, removed, rinsed & let the tank air dry & vent out for a coupla days. Im a real scaredycat about explosions,,
Once its ready for the studs, mount it on the bike & go to work. Youll need someone to hold the bike, because youll need to pull on the slide hammer pretty hard before you slide the hammer, Id expect, to load the bushings & put the pull on the metal & not allow the bushings to soak up the impact.
A few quick taps on the back of the slide with the hammer is better than a Big Bang. YOu can watch the metal come into place.
The part that went in last is the part to bring out first, IOW, dont go to the deepest point & start pulling. Work around the inside edges an inch or so in & get a body hammer. You can just hold a good pull on the slide hammer & , using light, quick taps, spank along the edge of the bent place & it will start coming up.
You may discover the metal has stretched. If you get to that, let me know, Ill walk ya thru shrinking it back,
& be cool pulling it, or you will have it stretched.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
butters
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/29/12 at 07:04:28

Rats! I was hoping that the answer would be a little more promising.

Oh well, thanks for the tips.  I'll keep an eye out for a replacement tank.

IP Logged
butters
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/29/12 at 07:06:11

Haha, ya, I'm not ready to commit to any sort of explosion stuff, so I'll probably sit this one out and go with another tank when available.

Much appreciated guys!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 08/29/12 at 07:08:07

Yea, We Race RC is right,, If you dont know how to do it, its not gonna come out well. If you can get a tank on it & painted for $200.00 youll be ahead. Heck, tool rental, body hammer, sandpaper, bondo, paint, yea,, tank time,, If you think youre gonna want more gas, maybe time to fit a bigger tank.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
butters
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/29/12 at 07:10:14

A bigger tank? I didn't know that was possible.  Yup, definitely a newbie when it comes to this.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 08/29/12 at 07:31:59

Considering your Newbieness, I would suggest you just ride it for now. Take the riders safety class, get 5,000 miles in the saddle. By then, youll have been here long enough to learn some maintenance on it, youll pretty well be past the Ooops, I dropped it stage of learning to ride. Sure would suck to put a lot of time & $$$ in it & then bounce it,

IP Logged
butters
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/29/12 at 07:42:02

Agreed.  I've got the safety course this weekend.  I'm planning on doing exactly what you have suggested, although I figured if I could pull those dents out with relative ease, I'd give it a shot.

Thanks again for the tips!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 08/29/12 at 07:50:42

You could look around to see what rental would be, if youve ever had any desire to UNwrinkle a piece of metal, here's your chance. Ill do what I can to guide ya thru, if the cost of the experiment isnt too high.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 08/29/12 at 09:16:20

Bondo and paint make it what it ain't.

--Steve

IP Logged
butters
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 08/29/12 at 09:18:35

Cool, thanks.  Ya I'll do some riding first, get used to a the bike and hopefully avoid dropping it.  If I decide to get experimental, I'll definitely post up here.  What a great resource!

Thanks.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 08/29/12 at 09:47:58

While you are gaining experience and riding ability.....keep and eye on the Marketplace, Craigslist and eBay for a tank or complete body kit.  Sometimes a good tank in the correct color will come along - and not too long ago a complete and pristine body kit was on this site.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 08/29/12 at 09:52:17

With a very sharp paint scheme, too,, what ever happened to that guy?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 04:33:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › That'll buff right out!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.