Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
That'll buff right out! (Read 400 times)
butters
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: That'll buff right out!
Reply #15 - 08/29/12 at 09:55:06

Ya, most definitely.  I'm not in a rush quite yet...and the riding season is slowly coming to an end up here, so there will be some down time, too.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #16 - 08/29/12 at 18:46:26

See this thread:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1346209240

Apparently, he has a nice tank for sale.....

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #17 - 08/29/12 at 20:12:27

butters, there is a way to use refrigerant (Freon) and heat to pop them out, but I 've never done it and don't know how big a dent it will work on. And whoever suggested a body shop for $200 is about right on the price for a good job on a tank. Good luck.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
MiCTLaN

O_o

Winter Haven, FL
Reply #18 - 08/29/12 at 21:29:59

I'd just slap a bandaid on it until I could find a tank in better shape.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 08/29/12 at 22:04:18

Id give a little thot to a sticker saying

I did not build this!

with an arrow pointing to a dent.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
tizzyfit

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 08/30/12 at 00:02:51

You may want to check with a local "paint-less dent removal" person.  I've talked to a few about dents in M/C gas tanks and was told there isn't enough room to get their tools situated in order to effect any positive result.  
If all else fails, while your waiting to locate a new tank, you could try some decals or bumper stickers, they would be truly ugly but it would get your mind off the dents. Grin Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 08/30/12 at 01:34:44

Once ya get down that tube,, its about over. That tank needs some pulling. & since theres no getting a dolly inside & working it all the way, it looks like its gonna take a fair dab O mud to fill it where the asphalt laid grooves in it, The other one otta smooth out pretty good.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #22 - 08/30/12 at 04:09:48

Paraquat wrote on 08/29/12 at 09:16:20:
Bondo and paint make it what it ain't.

I agree Steve.

Butters if the tank is bothering you the way it looks, invest $22, some time and make it look half way decent till you get some good miles under your belt  Wink   LOL have some fun and throw a custom rattle can paint job on the whole bike while you at it!   Grin

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
butters
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 08/30/12 at 04:48:03

Haha, thanks guys, some great suggestions for sure!

While I can live with the dents (for now), I thought to myself "hey, if I can get these out for next to no cost, that would be awesome."

I'll most likely get a quote from a shop to see what it would take to get it out, as well as if they just happen to have a Savage tank lying around.

I just bought the bike, so I'm excited just to ride it, haha. I'll keep you guys posted on my progress.  Of course, keep the suggestions coming!

Thanks.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 08/30/12 at 07:02:45

Okay, heres something to try,, Ride around, get alist of shops & just cruise them, look for a bike. Walk in, dont go to the office, just walk in the shop area & strike up a convo with a body man. Ask if any of them do "side work" at home. Youd be surprised at how many do. Well,, they did when I was doing it. You may be able to get that straightened up for $50.00 & a coupla 6 packs And you may even be able to help & learn a bit while youre at it.
If you find someone who rides, maybe cheaper, IDK what the Side Rates are these days, IDK if any even do it any more, but, you could have a ride & meet some new people & see what happens.

IP Logged
butters
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 08/30/12 at 07:19:31

Oh man, that's a great idea!  I'll certainly try that out - at the very least, I'd learn a lot more about the bike.

Thanks again Justin.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #26 - 08/31/12 at 05:34:38

I bought a Ding-King a few years ago.  It worked really well to remove simple dents in motorcycle tanks twice.  On a third tank, it got the basic shape the surface back, but the metal had been wrinkled slightly, so the damaged area was still noticeable,... requiring $10 worth of bondo and a few hours of painting and rubbing to make the dent disappear.

I had a Subaru WRX a few years ago that got clobbered on the right front fender by an "alligator" from a semi.  That danged Ding-King took a while (several "pops") but I was able to bring back the original curvature of the surfaces involved.  I had to touch up the paint, though.  Apparently the alligator had some rocks in it.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
butters
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 08/31/12 at 11:48:57

Gyrobob,

Interesting about the Ding King - I've never heard of it, but sounds like it could work.

Over the next little while, I'm probably gonna check out some local shops and see if I can talk to a couple of mechanics, possibly even help them out with it (based on Justin's advice).  I'm planning on riding it for the remainder of the season as is and hopefully fix/replace it in the new year.

Thanks again.

IP Logged
Greg-E
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 09/01/12 at 08:59:21

In order to make the tank safe for cutting or welding you can save some time by draining and letting sit for a while to evaporate, then put in some chunks of dry ice and wait for the CO2 to fill the tank. Alternate would be to fill from CO2 fire extinguisher or some other CO2 choice. If you have a MIG welder then you may have some other inert gas you can use to fill the tank prior to work.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #29 - 09/01/12 at 09:39:02

chunks of dry ice

Copied & pasted in my "How to solve that problem" file..I REALLY like that one,

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 04:36:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › That'll buff right out!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.