Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
clacking engine noise (Read 497 times)
MeLikeBike

Newbie, but Goodie

Monroeville, PA
clacking engine noise
08/28/12 at 19:03:13

I've posted before, but since I just took a video I've decked to make a new thread.

Loud clacking coming from left side of engine, upon closer listening, the most offending/alarming part is a jackhammer-like sound about halfway down.  It's very clear with mechanics stethoscope.  Somewhere between a "ting" and a "tang".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvSnOMXklt0 sound clearest at 0:19.

It's an 2003 with now 5500mi bought last Aug at around 4400 off craigslist for 1700.  My uncle thought maybe it was run without oil due to the bluing on the exhaust. But I've changed the oil twice since  I got it.  I checked the oil for flakes and there is a little that I can get with a magnet, and I can see some on the filter.  But I don't know if its excessive or just normal wear.  

Its my first bike so I can't comment on any low or loss of power...its still a blast. Its just loud and I'm concerned with destroying it and/or me.

Exhaust pipe seems fine, and i put on a new gasket.  I checked the cam tensioner, and it's fine.  I had the valves checked and set to spec last winter at Benteleys in Murrysville PA.  The guy at the repair shop/dealer said it sounded loud enough for him to call Suzuki and ask, and Suzuki said "they're just loud".  But in he end the repair guy didn't say anything needed fixing.

Thoughts?  I'm reluctant to tear down the engIne due to lacks of clean workspace, patience, time, and desire to spend lots on parts.  But maybe that's what I gots to do?

2003 Savage LS650, Dyna, 2/3 Spacer
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: clacking engine noise
Reply #1 - 08/28/12 at 19:49:48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSKo7qQH3hE
Sound like that?

Edit: Nevermind. You just said you checked the tensioner.

--Steve

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 08/28/12 at 20:07:29

you need a mechanic stethoscope

got to hunt down the clacking

top end will mean worn cam journals

bottom end probably burnt piston

by the oil filter is the cam chain.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 08/29/12 at 04:52:24

My engine had a horrible clack....and I found that my left crank bearing was a bit loose, and the worst part was that the flywheel nut on the left side of th engine was only finger tight and should have been torqued to 100 foot pounds.

My suggestion is to check the flywheel nut - only downside is that you are going to need a puller for the alternator rotor, a holder for the flywheel, and a 46 mm deep socket.  It will probably take an hour or so to try this out and see if that is the problem.  I have the tools and would be willing to rent them out for a depost and $ 10 rental fee, and you pay shipping cost both ways.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MeLikeBike

Newbie, but Goodie

Monroeville, PA
Reply #4 - 08/30/12 at 18:42:18

I did get a stethoscope, just to maybe help track this down, and I pulled the tubes off the earpieces and held it near my phone's mic.  This video is a reasonable (for a phone) demo of what you hear in the earpieces.

http://youtu.be/5PVlrFHEmDA

The sound is definitely near the top.  Not sure I trust the loudness of the engine cover (since it's like a big bell), but the hammer on metal sound is definitely ringing in there.  No comparable sound from the exhaust or frame (or crankcase)

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 08/30/12 at 18:53:03

I think it sounds okay, but, Im not there to be sure. If youre really concerned, go in &  check the valves. If theyre loose, adjust them, if theyre inside the specs then set the valves a coupla thousandths tighter than minimum spec & fire it up. If the noise is much diminished, you found it, its just that noisy valve train. Then set them back to spec, on the tite side.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 08/30/12 at 18:53:16

didn't hear anything really out of the ordinary.
definitely higher than lower though.
also the sounds are different with the rod vertical than horizontal
how about giving us a pic how you did that?
might be good for everyone to do the same so they have reference to how it should sound.

WWW   IP Logged
MeLikeBike

Newbie, but Goodie

Monroeville, PA
Reply #7 - 09/03/12 at 17:48:17

Well, I dived in and checke the valve clearances.  The intake ones were to spec, and so I assume the exhaust ones were as well (but I ended up resetting them, because I loosened everything up to figure out where I needed to slip in the feeler gauges.  It wasn't obvious, and it was really hard to do with the motor still on the frame.)  

So I'm back to spec, and no difference really.  I threw in some Rotella T (I read the Great Oil Debate a few nights ago), so at least I'm not doing any more damage.  

As for how I took the audio, I'd take a picture, but I doubt you could consider it repeatable, since every phone is going to be different, and I don't know how much the tube from the steth was moving around relative to the mic hole.  Probably about half a centimeter.

So now my question is, if the sound is "loose valves", does that mean it's that few thousandths of play at TDC just rattling somethin' serious?  What the the purpose of that clearance?  If there's that much banging, then how dangerous is it to shrink it back to, say, .0025"?  Could it be that the "spec" is just not ideal for whatever tolerance stackup my bike would be suffering from?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 09/03/12 at 23:27:08

The reason there is slack in the valves when its cold is, the valve stems get longer when they get hot. That closes the gap up some,.The tighter ya set the valves, within spec, the quieter it is.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
cafecarl

I love old
motorcycles

Maine
Reply #9 - 09/04/12 at 07:11:21

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/03/12 at 23:27:08:
The reason there is slack in the valves when its cold is, the valve stems get longer when they get hot. That closes the gap up some,.The tighter ya set the valves, within spec, the quieter it is.

+1. But be careful, you also need to keep in mind that if you over- tighten, the valves will hang slightly open and cause compression and combustion problems. I'd stay off the margins.

IP Logged
LouSiana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hannover, Germany
Reply #10 - 09/04/12 at 14:19:28

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/03/12 at 23:27:08:

not quite right, Sir! Since valves and rockers always have to have some clearance, just to assure the valve springs can close the valves everytime they have to.
In fact the construction in the S40/Savage is that way, that valve clearance increases with increasing temperature of the enginge parts.
Not alone the valve stems get elonged on higher temperatures, the head material (aluminium) does, too! And the thermal expansion coefficient of aluminium is more than twice than steel.
Thsi should make clear facts, that "Elsie" usually has the valve ticking sound louder when she is hot. The head is made of cast aluminium and therefore it lifts up the camshaft more than the valve stems can elongate. Wink

Back to S40: The specs say a clearance ,08 mm to ,13 mm.
,10 mm is a good middle course. It should be more of concern that both valves are at very same clearance than exactly ,10mm.
Intake may be adjusted with lower clearance since they do have lesser temperature stress.

There may be different construction features in other engines, where valve clearance decreases with rising themperature. Then they mostly are designed to have adjusted valve clearance at operating temperature or, assuming the difference to room temperature is well known, the valve clearance can also be adjusted to a greater gap when "cold".

We had some odd apperances and experiences with that theme on different engine types when I was in apprenticeship on Volkswagen, Audi and Porsche back around 1980

IP Logged
LouSiana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hannover, Germany
Reply #11 - 09/04/12 at 14:28:21

cafecarl wrote on 09/04/12 at 07:11:21:
+1. But be careful, you also need to keep in mind that if you over- tighten, the valves will hang slightly open and cause compression and combustion problems. I'd stay off the margins.  

Not only that. You then would risc a break away of the valve disc. The valve disc uses a good amount of heat dissipation on the valve seats!
If it can't do so, the lower part of the valve stem gets overheated, looses rigidity and breaks off.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 09/04/12 at 16:24:27

The head is made of cast aluminium and therefore it lifts up the camshaft more than the valve stems can elongate. Wink

Thats interesting. & the intake is sucking cool air past it, so its cooler than the head, while the exhaust is having hot air blown past it, so its hotter than the head. Its gonna take a while for me to digest that, but not near as long as it takes for a piston to digest a valve head.

I hope others chime in here,

IP Logged
MeLikeBike

Newbie, but Goodie

Monroeville, PA
Reply #13 - 09/05/12 at 19:21:19

Great discussion..I love this board.

Now...now that I've adjusted myself ( Wink ), I noticed when riding tonight that it's taking a little longer for the engine to slow down after I let go of the throttle in neutral (or with the clutch in).  Maybe 2 sec instead of 1 sec (that's a really rough estimate from memory).  It changed enough for me to notice.  Is that an issue?

In general, the bike definitely seems to sound different...a little throatier.  Still the tick-tacking, but I think i'm gonna embrace the sound as a high-pitch overtone to my revving exhaust note.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 09/05/12 at 20:47:52

Engine off, twist the gas, let go, watch the throttle plate on th carb.. it otta Slap shut.,

If its actin right & the return to idle feels slow enough to feel wrong, then it sounds like a sticky slide.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:26:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › clacking engine noise

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.