Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
clacking engine noise (Read 497 times)
MeLikeBike

Newbie, but Goodie

Monroeville, PA
Re: clacking engine noise
Reply #15 - 09/17/12 at 05:22:24

Hmmm...now that i've been riding it a bit, the slow-rundown seems to have resolved itself.  However, sewing machine-like valve noise is same as ever (interesting how variable it is, only partially related to temperaturs).

Anyway, I've noticed a bit more backfiring.  Not sure if it's because I'm being a bit less cautious in shifting (because I'm getting more comfortable riding), or if it's my new and maybe-improved(??) valve clearances.

Should I jump into tuning the carb?  It looks like the previous owner may have already taken out the brass plug for me.  Can the adjusted valve clearances affect the backfiring amount?  (It seems that it would, but I'm a software guy, not a hardware guy )

2003 Savage LS650, Dyna, 2/3 Spacer
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #16 - 09/17/12 at 06:23:54

The more frequent back firing might just be because the temps in your area have dropped, mine has been more this past week or so with the drastic drop in temps.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 09/17/12 at 08:38:31

Have ya tried shifting w/o the clutch yet?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LouSiana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hannover, Germany
Reply #18 - 09/17/12 at 14:54:48

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/17/12 at 08:38:31:

in cases of backfiring that would help like driving with fingers stuck in his ears.   Wink Remove the cause, not the symptom!

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #19 - 09/17/12 at 15:21:47

Mine backfires/afterfires only when closing the throttle and coasting and the engine rpm's drops down to about a little over 3,000. Not above and not below that.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 09/18/12 at 05:03:35

LouSiana wrote on 09/17/12 at 14:54:48:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/17/12 at 08:38:31:

in cases of backfiring that would help like driving with fingers stuck in his ears.   Wink Remove the cause, not the symptom!

Thanks, but I actually have a clue, & was in search of another,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MeLikeBike

Newbie, but Goodie

Monroeville, PA
Reply #21 - 12/05/12 at 18:37:31

An update...

Inspired by Chris Roth's post on a similar issue, I decided to check *my* decompression shaft.  So I figured I'd give it a shot.  Since the manual says that it might be possible to remove the cylinder head cover without unmounting the engine, I thought I'd try.

I succeeded!  It was not easy, but only 10minutes of gymnastics got it off.

Upon initial inspection I didn't see anything obvious, but then looking on the bottom of the rocker arm, where it rides on the camshaft, I noticed that it was CONCAVE rather than convex, like the intake valve.  And there was a thin, sharp sliver on the edge of this, which likely (to my software engineer eyes) means that the camshaft was grinding that sucker down while the previous owner was running without oil.  And that the new free space give the rocker arm a lot of room to buck about in a way that was not intended.

(When I bought the bike, my uncle took one look at the bluing on the pipe and said "I think that bike's been run without oil.")

So I've ordered a new rocker arm (and some red Permatex).  The camshaft doesn't seem to be obviously bad (It's still in the engine with the chain on it, so it's just been visual/feel to evaluate it).  The rocker arm pad is ground down about .75mm.

So I'm hoping for some advice....Can I get away with just replacing the arm (and checking the other stuff in the head cover), or should I really look for more trouble by taking off the engine?  Taking the head cover off wasn't so bad, but I wonder how easy it will be to get the cover back on without botching the sealant.  

I know to the veterans around here, it's a no brainer, because they probably have engines sitting on their coffee tables Wink   But I don't want to get overrun with parts everywhere in my garage, and I don't want to get in over my head.

Thanks for your support!

IP Logged
MeLikeBike

Newbie, but Goodie

Monroeville, PA
Reply #22 - 01/09/13 at 19:56:29

UPDATE:

Put it all back together.  Sounds F#$*in' AWESOME!!!!  I'm so psyched for the upcoming warm weekend (relatively) in the Burgh to take her out.  

It was the rocker arms (see my post "Rocker Arm design change" for details).  

Now I have to just remember how all the wires were strung (please see my latest post to help me out Smiley )

IP Logged
MeLikeBike

Newbie, but Goodie

Monroeville, PA
Reply #23 - 01/12/13 at 13:48:38

Took the bike out now that it's back in action, and it runs great.  Sounds great (if you like quiet...maybe I'll look into the dyno Wink )  Seems to have a shade more power as well.  

Thanks to this forum, I fixed the dang thing.  I'd never have had the confidence or the knowhow to work on this bike if it weren't for suzukisavage.com, for sure.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:25:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › clacking engine noise

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.