Send Topic Print
Halvors O2 tuning (Read 1882 times)
Halvor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Norway
Re: Halvors O2 tuning
Reply #15 - 09/01/12 at 00:03:23

Serowboot: Is your engine hot/cold after "cruising" driving? I have the impression of that small adjustment in the area I am in (10 - 14), cruising speed, change engine temperature significant. I can hold my hand for a second on the cylinder with those walues. My friend have a savage with original jets and leaking muffler. I guess he is very lean, and the engine is crazy hot.

It would not surprise me if laser temperature gauge measurements would correlate with the 02 values. I might try, for fun. Theese gauges are quite cheep to get and simple to use.

Savage 96, Enfield muffler. Lowered forks. Progressive springs Drag bar. big head light. GL1000 fender. small back light. Black. mini turn lamps, vm36 180-20. o2 sensor ! K&N
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 09/01/12 at 00:44:40

I really like seeing such a scientific approach to tuning,Im enjoying this thread,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #17 - 09/01/12 at 03:58:20

Hey Halvor I just picked up a Black&Decker laser temperature gauge off FleaBay for $21 including shipping, they ususlly run around $28. Fun little toy to mess with around the house and in the garage   Cheesy

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 09/01/12 at 05:39:14

Looks like a Prosport gauge.

I'm curious. The c50 guys tune for mid 12's.
When I tune my car I shoot for 14.6-15.4 at idle, 12.6 during spool (turbocharged) and 11.1 at WOT.
12's seems too lean for me.

--Steve

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #19 - 09/01/12 at 09:11:27

What is the unit of measure on the gauge you are using ?

"K&N Air/Fuel Monitor uses this same electric signal to illuminate a group of 10 LED lights that correspond with an air/fuel ratio scale. Reading the scale will tell if your fuel calibration is rich, lean or just right.  Using the Monitor as a tool, a tuner can adjust for peak performance, economy and/or drivability under any load condition or throttle setting."

Fuel/air Ratio

ECONOMY      
Light 1      Light 2      Light 3
17.1       16.0       15.1

BEST ALL-AROUND
Light 4      Light 5      Light 6      Light 7
14.7       14.7       14.7       14.7      

POWER
Light 8      Light 9      Light 10
14.0       13.2       12.1

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #20 - 09/01/12 at 09:44:38

I absolutely cannot wait to get one of these!  Cheesy

Lancer, I need to talk to you when you get a chance btw

Halvor, what brand monitor do you have?

IP Logged
Halvor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Norway
Reply #21 - 09/01/12 at 12:22:53

It is from "biltema". A chain of shops with affordable tools, parts etc in scandinavia.

Heres the equipment. App. 100 dollars for complete system included single wire sensor.

http://www.biltema.no/ProductImages/32/large/32-214_l.jpg
http://www.biltema.no/ProductImages/52/large/52-950_l.jpg

The housing is self made in stainless steel. But Biltema has housings too. But self made is more fun.

Savage 96, Enfield muffler. Lowered forks. Progressive springs Drag bar. big head light. GL1000 fender. small back light. Black. mini turn lamps, vm36 180-20. o2 sensor ! K&N
  IP Logged
Halvor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Norway
Reply #22 - 09/01/12 at 12:37:13

Lancer: I think it is the same units you have. THe o2% is showed digital between 10 and 20 and with led lamps in different colors. A disco effect.  Grin It is great to have this after the tuning allso to monitor the engine and see if it is working as normal.

It flashes when out of range (over 20 or under 10), it shows the voltage in time intervals. When you turn on or off the ignition it takes several rounds with led flashings back and forth. Wery impressing. Cant get enough of it.

Paraquat: Interesting. I thought 12-13 was best for power? 14,7 should be best for combustion? THanks for advices.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #23 - 09/01/12 at 12:54:39

Built2Last wrote on 09/01/12 at 09:44:38:
I absolutely cannot wait to get one of these!  Cheesy

Lancer, I need to talk to you when you get a chance btw

Halvor, what brand monitor do you have?

What's up dude ?
Will be visiting kids & grands this afternoon & evening but will check in when I get home.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #24 - 09/01/12 at 17:38:07

I'm just impressed how much bigger it shows to have the main jet and how much smaller the pilot jet. It is somewhat completely opposite from what the majority of folks here are doing before you posted this thread. Looks like we must be all jetted completely wrong.  Huh
The discrepancy is simply stunning.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #25 - 09/01/12 at 17:49:30

ralfyguy wrote on 09/01/12 at 17:38:07:
I'm just impressed how much bigger it shows to have the main jet and how much smaller the pilot jet. It is somewhat completely opposite from what the majority of folks here are doing before you posted this thread. Looks like we must be all jetted completely wrong.  Huh

To be honest, it doesn't surprise me one bit.  We have been jetting via spark plug readings and backpop through the muffler. When jetting using spark plug readings you are jetting over an avg throughout the throttle range and not each individual range unless you have a dyno so that you can specifically hold it in that range and shut it off while it's in that range of throttle.  Overall if you look at it with a bigger main and smaller pilot you still getting the same fuel at WOT as a bigger pilot and smaller main since they are all accumulative.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #26 - 09/01/12 at 18:33:34

rfw2003 wrote on 09/01/12 at 17:49:30:
ralfyguy wrote on 09/01/12 at 17:38:07:

To be honest, it doesn't surprise me one bit.  We have been jetting via spark plug readings and backpop through the muffler. When jetting using spark plug readings you are jetting over an avg throughout the throttle range and not each individual range unless you have a dyno so that you can specifically hold it in that range and shut it off while it's in that range of throttle.  Overall if you look at it with a bigger main and smaller pilot you still getting the same fuel at WOT as a bigger pilot and smaller main since they are all accumulative.

R.F.

It makes sense what you say. Still amazed about the pilot jet part. I can't remember anybody trying a smaller pilot than the stock one because everybody thought it is too small. So a bigger jet went in. Usually from stock 52.5 - 55. This made the bikes run better at idle and low speeds/throttle.
About the main jet part, usually people went from stock 145 to at least 150 (like me) or even 155. But according to those readings, still waaaay to small. I once tried a 155 on mine and the bike just choked on it when cracked open and that with a new air filter.

BUT, if you look at the jet sizes on 80's Savages the stock pilot was a 47.5 and the stock main was a 155. And that was before EPA BS.
But the carbs back then were a tad different as well. The needle had no spacer, but grooves instead and that one air jet was different as well.
Makes me wonder if we were to use the older carbs, the bikes would run better to begin with.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #27 - 09/01/12 at 19:37:15

Makes me wonder if we were to use the older carbs, the bikes would run better to begin with.

I think thats a great idea for an experiment,,

If one of the tuner guys would get a bike all set up & find an older carb, clean it up & put it on & compare performance, thatd be interesting.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #28 - 09/01/12 at 20:04:00

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/01/12 at 19:37:15:

I think thats a great idea for an experiment,,

If one of the tuner guys would get a bike all set up & find an older carb, clean it up & put it on & compare performance, thatd be interesting.

Actually I wondered about this a long time ago. I even keep checking on eBay, if ever one from an '86 or so pops up. Pinwall Cycles is one of my favorites as they have a slew of parts from wrecked bikes for cheap. The part that six is that in several years I only saw a couple of cards listed. I wonder what they do with all the carbs they pull. If they ever list an '86, I'll get it and clean it up and slap it on my '06 just for giggles.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #29 - 09/01/12 at 21:34:29

Well,, hurry up & do it, I need a giggle, too.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 12:18:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Halvors O2 tuning

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.