Halvors O2 tuning (Read 1882 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Halvors O2 tuning
Reply #105 - 08/17/13 at 14:56:37

Man I wanted one of those.,.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #106 - 08/18/13 at 07:46:32

My friend's BMW R100RS is a 93 model he got from a seller in Canada. The speedo display is in Kilometers. It has the mono-shock rear suspension and handles MUCH better than my old 1975 R90 did.

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
Halvor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Norway
Reply #107 - 08/18/13 at 09:16:58

""My A/F ratio is currently running at 13/1 at 1/4 throttle cruise, 10.3 at idle and off the gauge over 20/1 at WOT!""

Interesting I have the same numbers. It is allways around 20 at WOT. I started to see what speeds I could reach before 17,5 (red color starts). At idle it is 10-11-depending on the mix screw. And about the same as you have when crusing.

My setting

main Jet: 180
Pilot jet: 20

It is not easy to find out whats going on on WOT. When I try a very big jet it still shows around 20?? I have found that a bit smaller jet than usual is best when measuring top speed.

What I have found helpful is observing the heat from the engine after racing. THe original settings results in a very hot engine. I belive it is not to lean as long as the engine is significant cooler than this.

I will not modify the header becauce I am afraid I will loose bottom end power? THats meaning with this bike. Want high revs? Buy a 600R..

I got good results with my new Enfield muffler- see under forum-tech-part.  

« Last Edit: 08/18/13 at 12:28:21 by Halvor »  

Savage 96, Enfield muffler. Lowered forks. Progressive springs Drag bar. big head light. GL1000 fender. small back light. Black. mini turn lamps, vm36 180-20. o2 sensor ! K&N
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #108 - 08/18/13 at 12:25:39

[I will not modify the header becauce I am afraid I will loose bottom end power? THats meaning with this bike. Want high revs? Buy a 600R.. ]

If you go too big then you may run the risk of losing performance which is why experts advise not go go bigger than 1.5 for the Savage. I have done it and I assure you their is no loss of bottom or top end power.On the contrary actually. Wink

IP Logged
Halvor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Norway
Reply #109 - 08/18/13 at 12:34:53

Interesting. Maybee I will make my own header. Or extract the inner tube. I have thought about it and if it is cut loose maybee it can be forced out. Weld a fastener and pull it out with a winch?  Grin

Savage 96, Enfield muffler. Lowered forks. Progressive springs Drag bar. big head light. GL1000 fender. small back light. Black. mini turn lamps, vm36 180-20. o2 sensor ! K&N
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #110 - 08/18/13 at 12:40:00

I wanted mine to be the same size as the outer stock header but I was told by the manufacturer the same thing about losing performance. It is important not to go larger than 1.5 . The smallest increase from 1.5 can impact on performance.

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #111 - 08/18/13 at 12:59:42

Super Thumper wrote on 08/17/13 at 14:54:27:
I have a Barnett High Performance clutch in this bike...the stock clutch couldn't handle the power but the Barnett does!!

Happy tuning!! Smiley

Where did you purchase the Barnett HPC?

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #112 - 08/18/13 at 13:12:48

paulmarshall wrote on 08/18/13 at 12:59:42:
Super Thumper wrote on 08/17/13 at 14:54:27:
I have a Barnett High Performance clutch in this bike...the stock clutch couldn't handle the power but the Barnett does!!

Happy tuning!! Smiley

Where did you purchase the Barnett HPC?

Are these the right parts?
Do I need the plates and springs or just the springs?
http://www.barnettclutches.com/940/suzuki/0/0/1987-suzuki-ls-650f.html

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #113 - 08/18/13 at 20:33:09

paulmarshall wrote on 08/18/13 at 12:40:00:
I wanted mine to be the same size as the outer stock header but I was told by the manufacturer the same thing about losing performance. It is important not to go larger than 1.5 . The smallest increase from 1.5 can impact on performance.

Yep, a 1/8th" change in the header ID makes a significant difference.  The small change in diameter of the tube increases volume dramatically, and that causes the big performance changes.

IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #114 - 08/19/13 at 08:52:31

Paul Marshall....those are the correct parts for the Savage clutch and are the ones I am using.

Note that there are two different part numbers for the Kevlar friction plates.

One has a larger inside diameter and this is the one that fits over the clutch wave washer. The other 5 have a smaller inside diameter.

Here is a link to the clutch diagram for you:

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oem-parts/suzuki/1997/ls650p-savage-v/clutch

The wave washer is part #10 in the diagram.

I have done several of these Barnett clutches and have NEVER replaced the OEM steel clutch drive plates.

I use a rubber sanding block with 320 grit sandpaper and rough up the surface just a little bit.

This is necessary because these plates get polished very smooth during normal operation and were most likely slipping a bit even if you didn't notice any clutch slippage with the OEM clutch.

BE CAREFUL...don't overdo it with the sandpaper...use a light touch when sanding with the block...you do not want to remove any material from the steel plate surface just rough it up a little bit until it no longer is shiny..the rough surface will give your new Kevlar clutch plates something to grab on to.

I did this on my own 97mm Super Thumper and it does NOT slip no matter how hard I try and I did try just to make sure I could re-use the OEM steel drive plates without any slippage issues.

I have over 1,000 miles on the new clutch and so far still no slippage with the re-used OEM drive plates with this big 97mm motor.

The only time I would recommend replacing the steel plates is if they are worn so thin they are out of spec.

I don't have the specs available while I am writing this reply...maybe someone has them and can post them for us Smiley

I am currently out of stock on them but will have some more of these Barnett clutches in stock at the end of September.

I am still hoping Lancer will got those Big Bore exhaust pipes made so we can try them out. Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #115 - 08/19/13 at 09:23:09

If I was gonna use sandpaper on them, Id work the paper to make the lines go from outside edge to center, not around.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #116 - 08/19/13 at 12:35:08

Thanks Super Thumper.
I am kicking myself because I had the clutch replaced a couple of months ago with a OEM clutch with 10% stronger springs.This was before I decided to put the 97mm in.Of course now it slips in top when I open the throttle. I feel abit stupid as I wasted money but in saying that the steel plates will be like new.(Should I still sand paper them?)
I wonder if Dave is experiencing clutch issues with his mods.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #117 - 08/19/13 at 12:50:59

paulmarshall wrote on 08/19/13 at 12:35:08:

I am not having any problems with my clutch.  I holds just fine and under full throttle acceleration through the gears it grabs between shifts and never slips under application of throttle.  I anticipated that I might have problems and I bought some EBC springs that are listed as being 10% stronger......but I have not put them in.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #118 - 08/19/13 at 12:54:46

Dave wrote on 08/19/13 at 12:50:59:
paulmarshall wrote on 08/19/13 at 12:35:08:

I am not having any problems with my clutch.  I holds just fine and under full throttle acceleration through the gears it grabs between shifts and never slips under application of throttle.  I anticipated that I might have problems and I bought some EBC springs that are listed as being 10% stronger......but I have not put them in.

Thats interesting. Would the difference between the 95mm and the 97mm be enough to push the clutch over its limit?

IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #119 - 08/20/13 at 07:41:42

It appears that the stronger clutch springs and the Kevlar friction plates that don't fade when they get hot are making all the difference in the world to clutch performance on our Savages. The metal plates not so...the OEM plates are fine even when worn a little....this is good...saves us some $$$ since we don't have to buy the metal plates as often! In the future when my clutch is getting worn out I will just replace the Kevlar friction plates and see if the metal plates and Barnett springs will still hold up. Those Barnett springs are about $14.95 for a set of 4 and I would highly recommend anyone change their OEM springs out even before your clutch starts to slip....might make those OEM friction plates last longer before needing replacement.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:24:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Halvors O2 tuning

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.