Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What is the stock header made out of? (Read 279 times)
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: What is the stock header made out of?
Reply #15 - 08/31/12 at 18:51:14

Thanks RFW! I've learned not to trust my memory as the years go on...
Still, a 1500 degree paint might work, right? How hot do you suppose that header gets under the fiberglass?

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #16 - 08/31/12 at 19:16:56

Yeah 1500° paint should work just fine.  As for how hot the pipe itself gets with the wrap I'm not sure, Don't think I've even seen where anyone has tried to measure temps of the pipe itself once it's wrapped. I know lots have shown the lowered temps at the wrap itself but not of the pipe. I think the biggest issue with wrapping the pipe will be the moisture that is held in contact with the pipe.  On un-coated or painted only headers they have been known to rust out very quickly with pipe wrap. I like the looks of a wrapped pipe myself over the traditional use of heat shields in key spots, but with the issue of the corrosion of the pipes I won't do it.  Instead when I get a custom larger ID header made up I'll just have that ceramic coated.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 08/31/12 at 20:25:43

I cut and welded the stock pipe....at least in 97 it was mild steel.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #18 - 08/31/12 at 21:50:25

scubachef wrote on 08/31/12 at 20:25:43:
I cut and welded the stock pipe....at least in 97 it was mild steel.  

Good to know I'm not gonna run into any surprises when I fire up the torch this weekend to weld the 10° adapter on.  I had finally found some stainless steel t-bolt clamps locally and I still have a slight leak, so I'm just gonna bite the bullet and weld that sucker on there.  Cool

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #19 - 09/01/12 at 18:36:32

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/31/12 at 04:16:55:
I sectioned my header & removed the inner pipe years ago. The TIG weld hasnt been hard to keep from rusting at all..Ospho is gone, Jasco is the same stuff, 1/2 price. You hafta Look to even notice the header isnt stock,

So you're just running it with the outer skin?

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 09/01/12 at 19:09:42

ralfyguy wrote on 09/01/12 at 18:36:32:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/31/12 at 04:16:55:
I sectioned my header & removed the inner pipe years ago. The TIG weld hasnt been hard to keep from rusting at all..Ospho is gone, Jasco is the same stuff, 1/2 price. You hafta Look to even notice the header isnt stock,

So you're just running it with the outer skin?

I was wondering about that too... I'm sure you've posted about this somewhere, and I don't want to hijack the original thread, but can you post a link to a write-up if you did one? I'd love to see what you did...

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #21 - 09/02/12 at 04:36:12

teabowl13 wrote on 08/31/12 at 18:18:29:
If you are wrapping it anyway, why not paint the header? I just got a can of Rustoleum High Heat paint at the hardware store that's rated to 1500 degrees, requires NO special primer, and doesn't need to be baked on; just spray and go.
I believe (And I may be remembering this wrong...) I read somewhere here that the header only gets up to about 600 degrees tops... 1500 degree paint should hold up pretty well, even with the heat sealed in by the wrap...

I've also seen paint sold that's made for pipe wrap; maybe that would work to keep the moisture out... It's like an aluminum looking paint that you spray over the wrap.

Some areas of the exhaust systems on the Rotax motors in my gyrocopters stay orange hot for minutes at a time during climbout.  

I tried maybe 8 or 10 different rattle can high-heat paints.  

None of them worked for more than a few hours except for Dupli-Color high heat.  It stayed on for maybe 25 or 30 hours of flying time (several months) before needing a light sanding and respray on the areas that got the brightest during climbout.  

I don't remember the color code, but it is a dark gray,.. nearly black.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 04:26:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What is the stock header made out of?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.