Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What is the stock header made out of? (Read 279 times)
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
What is the stock header made out of?
08/25/12 at 17:27:43

Is it mild-steel or stainless? Not the stainless most of you have come to know and love that doesn't rust but what most stainless exhausts are made from, 400 series. It surface rusts but never rots. I would think that a bike exhaust is made from this, I have a hard time believing it would be mild steel but if it is, it completely changes what I'm going to do with my exhaust.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: What is the stock header made out of?
Reply #1 - 08/25/12 at 20:46:10

In 1987, it likely was designed from simple low cost mild steel tubing that was polished and chromed (on the outer shell anyway).

What the 2012 models were made of, who knows?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
tizzyfit

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/29/12 at 17:07:44

Stick a magnet on it.  If it sticks, it's not stainless steel.  That being said, it could still be stainless steel but with less than 10.5% chromium, which kind of puts it in the "maybe" category.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #3 - 08/29/12 at 17:19:37

As bad as mine is rusted on the slip fit portion of it,  I'm betting it's just mild steel.   I will find out this weekend though when I go to weld the 10° adapter on, since I still can't get a good seal even with the stainless steel t-bolt clamp and slotting.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 08/29/12 at 17:20:13

Magnets stick just fine to any stainless steel except for 300 series. Google "austenitic stainless"

The "stainless" forks in your silverware drawer are magnetic, as are high-quality knife blades and will corrode given the opportunity.

IP Logged
tizzyfit

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/29/12 at 18:35:22

If it's 400 series, will the magnet stick to it or not?  My understanding is it will not, your mileage may vary.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #6 - 08/29/12 at 18:43:56

tizzy I do believe 400 series SS is magnetic.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #7 - 08/29/12 at 20:11:16

Yes, 400 is magnetic. Pick up any knife and stick a magnet to it, they're all 400 series. Companies will trademark some specific blend of certain metals for their knives but they still fall within the category of a martensitic stainless which is magnetic. Only austenitic steels are non-magnetic.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 08/29/12 at 22:07:37

& yet, I find myself drawn to Austin.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/30/12 at 08:59:11

Hey Cavi... So I have to ask: What are you planning to do with your exhaust, and why does the kind of steel it's made from matter?

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #10 - 08/30/12 at 23:29:15

I have a section of 2.25" 304L pipe that slides right over the header like a glove. I was gonna weld it directly to the header but if I have to worry about the area I ground the chrome off rotting away, I'm not gonna do it. That means I need to figure out a way to make the pipe removable while still looking seamless.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 08/31/12 at 04:16:55

I sectioned my header & removed the inner pipe years ago. The TIG weld hasnt been hard to keep from rusting at all..Ospho is gone, Jasco is the same stuff, 1/2 price. You hafta Look to even notice the header isnt stock,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #12 - 08/31/12 at 04:21:06

I'm gonna be riding this all year round in the rust belt. I'm also terrible with maintenance and I'm using exhaust-wrap to hide the seam between the header and pipe. It's a combination that will make this rot out in couple years, three if I'm lucky. Not acceptable.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/31/12 at 18:18:29

If you are wrapping it anyway, why not paint the header? I just got a can of Rustoleum High Heat paint at the hardware store that's rated to 1500 degrees, requires NO special primer, and doesn't need to be baked on; just spray and go.
I believe (And I may be remembering this wrong...) I read somewhere here that the header only gets up to about 600 degrees tops... 1500 degree paint should hold up pretty well, even with the heat sealed in by the wrap...

I've also seen paint sold that's made for pipe wrap; maybe that would work to keep the moisture out... It's like an aluminum looking paint that you spray over the wrap.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #14 - 08/31/12 at 18:40:54

teabowl13 wrote on 08/31/12 at 18:18:29:
If you are wrapping it anyway, why not paint the header? I just got a can of Rustoleum High Heat paint at the hardware store that's rated to 1500 degrees, requires NO special primer, and doesn't need to be baked on; just spray and go.
I believe (And I may be remembering this wrong...) I read somewhere here that the header only gets up to about 600 degrees tops... 1500 degree paint should hold up pretty well, even with the heat sealed in by the wrap...

I've also seen paint sold that's made for pipe wrap; maybe that would work to keep the moisture out... It's like an aluminum looking paint that you spray over the wrap.

Not quite true,  if you getting it hot enough to blue it, your getting to atleast 900° as that is where chrome plating starts to turn blue.

R.F.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 04:23:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What is the stock header made out of?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.