Honda Shadow VT1100 (Read 305 times)
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Re: Honda Shadow VT1100
Reply #15 - 08/29/12 at 01:11:56

The real sucky part about looking right now is most folks are asking a grand over book for their rides.
Buyers market but most don't seem to get that. At least on craigslist.
Bikes that book 2145 in excellent condition in KBB are priced anywhere from 3000-3500.  Shocked

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 08/29/12 at 06:11:14

Seriously.
Same thing with people trying to sell old cars.
I can't find an 89-93 240SX shell, SHELL, for less than 1500. I bought a 90 complete turn key Eclipse GSX for 500 bucks 5 years ago.

--Steve

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #17 - 08/29/12 at 06:33:41

If I were to buy another bike anytime soon (which is extremely unlikely), I think I would seriously consider the Honda NC700X.  Another similar bike that would be in the running would be Suzuki's V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure.  I know, neither is a cruiser form factor and I'd miss that but for the types of riding I do, both are very well equipped.

« Last Edit: 08/29/12 at 08:06:59 by Savage_Rob »  

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #18 - 08/29/12 at 07:38:29

I've never sold a bike for "book" value.

I'd advertise a bike say a GS500 (of which I have owned 17 and sold 14) for say $1500. People would call and go on and on and on about book value ...
I'd say bring me the book and I'll sell you for book value.
When they did that, I would read it, and I'd go ... see it says 5K per year ... OK so in 12 years that is 60K miles ... so if it has 60K miles it should be 700 bucks ... OK great ... I got this bike only 48K miles and I'll gladly take 650 for it. Should be a steal innit it.

Oh no you want that one with 10K on it ... sorry that will be $1500. I sold 7 GS500's that way before I was left with the 48K mile bike, which too I sold ...
Book value = Book mileage = in some cases 1 foot in the grave and the other on banana peels.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #19 - 08/29/12 at 19:04:08

If I was to go out today and step up to a larger displacement used bike, there would be but 2 choices, VN800A or a VN1500 (any flavor). The 800 is a great all day bike, gets in the high 40s to low 50s mpg, can clear the ton by quite a few hash marks... but it is chain driven.

The 1500's (newer ones) are fuel injected, liquid cooled, shaft driven, hydraulically clutched (with adjustable reach levers), have decent exhausts available, are comfortable (with the exception of the old 1500A) and get high 40s to low 50s mpg if you stay out of the throttle.

And they don't rattle themselves apart.

As for Suzuki 50 series cruisers, the S50 is the origin of the breed, the others are all detuned variants of the original VS700 engine design of the 1980s. The S even still looks like an early cartoon caricature  80's tariff Shadow/Vulcan/Intruder. Lisa's 96 800 Intruder is done, used up, ready for the scrap heap with sub-20K miles on it.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #20 - 08/30/12 at 02:08:53

1500'sa lil bigger then i wanna go. Want to stay small enough to still play in the twisties and run errands without feeling like im wrestling a greased hog.
800's a lil smaller then i want to run 2 up comfortably.

900 to 1100 is about the range im looking in. Several nice shadow 1100's localy but their priecy. D@mn near buy a new one for what some of them want for a 2000 or 2002.
One guys got a bone stock 88 with a shield that wants 3000. Roll Eyes
V-Star would work but i got a real bug about yammies and i hate chain drives.
Seems like almost all the C50's are 2007 or newer, tricked out and priced that way. And themfenders just make me cringe.

Old ladies like 'You got a bike already and don't need another' and im like 'ill get a bigger one when i decide to get one'.
I think i had a more comfortable 2 up she would enjoy riding more. The kid just wants to RIDE! Sport, tourer, cruiser, she don't care...lol

May have to get rid of the savage before i do anything. Bad thing is besides haveing to get rid of it is its MY transportation. And its FUN s he!! I just HATE driveing the truck anymore.
Bigger bike would slow me down a bit to. Good thing i didn't get a 600 sport. Roll Eyes
If i could only win the lottery...lol

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #21 - 08/30/12 at 06:08:07

The V Star 650 and 1100 is shaft drive and the V Star 950 is belt drive. I have arthritis and fibromyalgia and was worried about handling the 1100 but it isn't much different than the Burgman. I am very happy with my V Star. Wolfman, the V stars are a lot better than the old Yamaha Virago models. If I wasn't on the other side of the state from you, I'd let you check out my V Star. The Kawasaki Vulcan 900 is a nice bike also.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #22 - 08/30/12 at 14:25:52

Yeah the Star 1100 is in the running. I just got to get over really hateing yammies. Had one a loonnnggg time ago and it was nothing but trouble. From what iv read i wont even consider a virago.

Distance? Road trip...lol Course if i liked your ride you might not get it back. Grin Hadn't really thought about the 950. Ive grown to love a belt drive.

Sounds like isac is going to pay you a GOOD visit 12B. Maybe 10 inchs. Looks like we're in the 2-4 inch range right now.

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #23 - 08/30/12 at 15:45:09

We could use the rain. Forecast calling for rain on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. The rain will be too late to help the crops though.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #24 - 08/31/12 at 01:37:32

Ill be happy if it brings the grass back to life before winter. My pastures shot and going to have to spend money i could use on a bike for hay. For the girls d@mn horses! Cattle i wouldn't mind. At least i got money out of them.

Sore tonight. Old lady forgot the milk at moms and i had to go back. First trip home bambi came running up to the fence and came to a screaming stop by the neighbors pond fence. She had jumped the fence she would of literaly been right on top of me. I thought 'thats my close call for the day'.

When i went back for the milk i started to turn right turning around in the barn lot comeing back out.
Don't know what i hit if anything but the front tire went out from under me like it was on marbles. Cracked my head pretty good, banged up my right shoulder and upper ribs. Got something pinched up between my shoulder blades now to. Had my leg pinned under the bike under the saddlebags and couldn't get the d@mn thing out. Gas running out of the tank at that. Finaly got pizzed after my head quit ringing and 'HULKED' it up and got my leg out. Man was i pizzed!
Don't think i hurt anything besides myself and knocking the rearview out of whack. Have to check again in the morning.
Thought i was going to have to call the old lady to come get it off me.

Off the gravel, ground was solid and grass wasn't wet. All i can figure is maybe the loose cr@p piled up from the rain the other day. Halfway through a right hand slow speed turn and BAM, i was down and seeing stars and tweety birds. Had to lay there for about 5 seconds for my head to clear to try and get up. What a Beotch!
Still want to let me test drive that V-Star?...lol
Think maybe ill start looking at spyders n trikes... Cheesy

IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #25 - 08/31/12 at 01:59:20

I think that most of us have been down in one of those slow speed turns where, for some reason, the front wheel went out.  In my case it was a piece of unseen pipe on the pavement that rolled the wheel out.  

One of the big reasons that I am such a fan of the Savage is the size and weight.  You can get it off of you when you go down.  A lot of the bikes that I have owned it would be too much.  Hell, right now, with my artificial hip, a C50 would be enough additional weight to pin me.  It is something to think about when looking at bikes.

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #26 - 08/31/12 at 03:12:58

Yeah but its irritateing as he!! though. And it HURT!...lol
The more i think about it i think it may of been the debris from the lil bit of rain we got the other day piled up in the edge of the grass. Have to look in the morning.

Was peruseing craigslist and found the EXACT twin to a bike i was considering. The one in camdenton was 2900.
This one is 3299. http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/mcd/3239088125.html
I mean their identical down to the bags, lightbar, crashbar, hwy pegs, grips and passanger pegs. Gas tank paint scheme as well.
Got me wondering if its a scam or some jackleg is trying to make a few bucks. Other one went off two days ago and this one suddenly shows up 70 miles north of it...lol

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #27 - 08/31/12 at 05:15:21

I had a 1989 shadow vt1100,One of the only bikes I really didn't care for,It did nothing really wrong but nothing I like about riding it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:26:29

General CategoryThe Cafe › Honda Shadow VT1100

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.