Honda Shadow VT1100 (Read 305 times)
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Honda Shadow VT1100
08/25/12 at 14:46:14

Just curious if anyone is riding or has rode a VT1100.
Been thinking of adding or moveing up to a larger more highway and 2up friendly bike.
The spirit is one thats caught my eye.

Want to stay small enough to be errand/town/twisties friendly.
But big enough for comfortable 2up(day and weekend trips) and highway riding?
Thought about an S50 or Kawa 900 but i think an 1100 would suit me better. Thoughts?

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: Honda Shadow VT1100
Reply #1 - 08/25/12 at 15:58:32

What about an M90? Or a Yamaha 950?

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #2 - 08/25/12 at 18:14:49

I had a 96 model Ace 1100. Good motorcycle, I had a windshield and bags on it and it did great on long trips and was my daily driver back and forth to work. No mechanical problems ever.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #3 - 08/26/12 at 01:30:46

M90's to big and NO Yammies! Had a yamaha and had nothing but problems from it. No chain drive either. Got to be a belt of shaft. I hate chain drives.
Kinda prefer sport type fenders to. The classic look just don't trip my trigger.
Something on the order of 1000-1100ccs.
Most of my riding would still be local and one up. Just want something thats more highway and 2 up friendly.
Idealy i get to keep the savage but thats probably not going to happen.
No fricking harleys either! I got to be able to afford to work on em without paying for the name. They just don't inspire me anyway.

Sport tourers would work just for me but the girls would be carping at the end of the day. Im partial to cruisers anyway.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 08/26/12 at 04:16:08

I was looking at the Honda VT's last year and came close to buying one.  I did not take one for a test ride but they did sit very well for my body size and felt like it would be good for "time in the saddle"

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/26/12 at 07:58:44

I upgraded to a c50 two weeks ago.
I'm loving it. My girlfriend loves it too. She never wanted to ride on that 6x4" rectangle Suzuki called a seat.
She loves the c50 and wants to take it out more and more. It's nice she's getting into cycling. She now wants to buy a helmet so we can leave the state and go places on it.

I had never heard of the S50 until last week. It's a shame because sometimes I miss how light and nimble the Savage is compared to the c50. The S50 looks like it held onto a lot of the Savage's design. In terms of power though the c50 hasn't disappointed me yet. (Give it a couple years and I'll get used to it and think it's underpowered)

She loves it so much she helped me polish the chrome and then took over waxing the whole thing.

--Steve

IP Logged
Johansson
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/26/12 at 10:24:41

I am fairly happy with mine. I am used to older machines that had more hp. I figured an 1100 would be 60 or 70 hp. The vt 1100 's made after 96 have just slightly over 50 hp. The bike is over geared. 5th gear is happy at over 70 mph only. It will cruise all day at 80 to 85 mph. Keeping up with the truckers in the mountain of Oklahoma and Arkansas, often at speeds of 90 mph, is beyond the capability of this bike. It starts to get squirrelly at 90. The stock tires are really bad. I upgraded to Metzler 880's which made a new bike out of it, an extraordinary change in handling. I reallly disliked the bike until the Metzlers were on it.
This bike has a very comfortable saddle, I go to Iowa from Dallas tx several times a year, 15 hours trips and am very happy with the stock seat.
The location of the speedometer prevents the memphis fats 19" from tilting back enough. I think the CWI windshield or the demon windshield would stop buffeting, which comes from below, I put my sisters demon on it, much better but her windshield was way to short. I had the Memphis, so that is what I used. The lowers helped some, If you look close, I made some deflectors in front of my footpegs, that solved all buffeting. Oh, by the way, the buffeting was extremely severe with just the stock memphis shade, so bad the bike was unrideable at speed with any headwind. It would literally pull my helmets, half, 3/4 or fullface to the back of my head, choking me.
The location of the pegs is a little to far forward for long distance travel , also, the highways are buckling in OK, some bumps are pretty bad and it is hard to raise up on these pegs.  
I am also dissapointed with the mileage, about 40 mpg at 70 to 80 mph low winds, 35 mpg when windy.
So, I am not really happy with the low power, My old 82 shovelhead stock with a factory listed 55 hp gets 50 mpg in the same scenarios, is more comfortable and handles better,,fxr
Now, I just sold a Ducati 748, and I have an 82 virago with 70 hp,, so the vt1100c shadow spirit does not compare with the virago or my harley favorably,,
But, the maintenance is zero, 8000 mile factory reccomended oil change interval, air filters are lasting about 7000 miles, runs on ethanol 87 octane just fine, or straight gas, no valve adjustments ever, starts right up even after sitting a month or so......
chuck

I am on the left, 6'1" and 220 lbs, I can see over the 19" memphis fats, but I stronly recommend against this windshield for the shadow spirit.

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #7 - 08/26/12 at 12:51:52

Ive considered the C50. Just hate them big fenders. Some folks complain about it being slightly under powered for 2 up and slightly cramped with a passanger. Same for the S50 though i dont hear near as many complaints about power.

Most ive talked to(or read) seem to love the VT1100. Good around town and fun in the twisties. Comfortable 2 up and pleanty of power for the highway.
Top speed isnt as important to me(supposedly about 120) as roll on power to pass at 70 or so.
The extra 200lbs or so is a concern but displacements gonna add weight.
I dont ride with a shield though i have considered one for the winter months. I ride anytime its above 35.

Id considered a bandit 1250 and could live with that. The youngest would eat that up. But the old lady would be carping 50 miles down the road most likely...lol I can get a lil heavy handed so probably wouldn't be a good idea.

40 mpg i can live with. Saveing on gas is good but i ride mostly for the ride. So if i can keep it 40 or above ill be happy.
I got a few road trips i want to make before im to old and crippled up.
Love my lil savage but the youngest is getting to big to ride 2 up and im getting a real itch for 2 up exploreing.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/26/12 at 13:56:20

I don't mean to keep pitching the c50 but I do want to add that my gf has too much room. She complained the first week she felt like she was going to fall off because she was sliding around so much. I got her some Cobra running boards and she's happier with those.

She wants me to get a back rest so she has something to hold on to.

I know what you mean about the fenders though. If you look at it the right (or wrong) way it looks like an 8" wide fender on a bicycle tire.

--Steve

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #9 - 08/26/12 at 18:37:18

I upgraded to the c50 and loved it too.  The wife started to ride with me and the 50 worked fine but it was getting very busy at 70 mph with very little more for passing. Most of my 2 up riding is on 4 lane 70 mph hiways so i upped the anti to a c90.  Considering its weight and size it is still pretty maneuverable. Suzuki put the gas tank and battery real low to keep the c of g lower and it works. Sometimes you have to forgo some maneuverability to gain the room and power for comfortable 2 up riding. The wife is very glad we got the C90. She's a lot more comfy now. Happy wife; happy life.  Cheesy

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #10 - 08/26/12 at 19:40:52

Hubby has the Honda Shadow Aero 750.. It is a 2007 and he has had
no mechanical or other problems with it.
Averages 50 mph and seems to be comfortable for him.
I can't say for myself as not allowed to ride it..
That is ok as if I really wanted to ride one, I would own one.. Smiley kim

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #11 - 08/27/12 at 01:34:46

Oh im considering the C50. Just got to get by them fenders. Live on a gravel road and wonder if id beat em all to he!!. Worry about it being a bit under powered 2 up. But would be the same for an S50 i reckon.
I REALLY like the S50's looks.

Lot of 750s around but if im going to move up im moveing up a couple hundered ccs anyway. Dont think 100 would get me what i want and frame length is about the same as the S40.

Missed out of a couple of real good deals on a couple of late model(98 and 2000) 1100's.
Theres one that really sings to me but he's wanting about a grand above book for it. And more then im willing to give.
Love to have one now but ill probably wait till winter.
Then ill have to get rid of Jolene much as i hate to.

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #12 - 08/27/12 at 12:58:44

Something to consider on the C50 is putting the C90 rear end gearing on it. The guys that have done it say it helps a lot on the hiway. It reduces the revs so it has more top rnd and doesn't rev as high when cruising. There's a Good c50 forum. Voulsiariders.com that will give you a good idea if it's the one for you.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #13 - 08/27/12 at 13:54:38

Step son has a Suzuki Intruder (S50) and it does quite well. I traded my Burgman scooter in for a V Star 1100 and really enjoy the bike.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #14 - 08/27/12 at 17:31:04

Skid Mark wrote on 08/27/12 at 12:58:44:
Something to consider on the C50 is putting the C90 rear end gearing on it. The guys that have done it say it helps a lot on the hiway. It reduces the revs so it has more top rnd and doesn't rev as high when cruising. There's a Good c50 forum. Volusiariders.com that will give you a good idea if it's the one for you.

I picked up a C50 several years ago too, and like it pretty well. I am however considering the gear swap, because past 75 or so it does sound like it's revving a lot, not to mention the mileage drops fast at the high speeds. Tongue
As far as power, for its weight as opposed to engine size, I'd say it does pretty good. I've ridden Yamaha's and Harleys with bigger engines, that while they had more torque, they didn't feel as quick off the line.  I've used it for 2-up with a passenger of around 150 lbs, and I'm topping 200, and it doesn't seem to struggle any. Won't win any drag races, but gets me around just fine.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:44:29

General CategoryThe Cafe › Honda Shadow VT1100

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.