Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Kawasaki rims on a savage? (Read 251 times)
rustysavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Nova Scotia, Canada
Kawasaki rims on a savage?
08/25/12 at 14:18:15

I have access to a rusted out 81 Kawasaki 440 ltd with mag rims and belt drive. I know some have used the front pulley but I was wondering if the rims would fit the savage? I believe front is 19" and the rear is 16". Thanks

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Kawasaki rims on a savage?
Reply #1 - 08/25/12 at 14:48:01

send me the wheels and I'll let you know   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
rustysavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Nova Scotia, Canada
Reply #2 - 08/25/12 at 16:20:13

Sure thing  Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/25/12 at 19:48:29

Ya cant put Sakkahockey rims on a Zuki, boy!! Dont you know NUTHIN?
Dang thing'll blow up,,Geeeze,, kids these days,, I tell ya,, dont know nuthin 'bout nuthin..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #4 - 08/25/12 at 23:04:20

I have a '74 Pinto wagon up on blocks in the back yard. Can I put those rims on my Savage? Or should I go with my first plan which involved Super Glue, hula hoops and 50' of Weed Wacker string?

Sometimes the voices make me do stuff.

Jack

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 08/26/12 at 06:18:55

I ran with a guy who had a Pinto wagon. WE pretty much lived in it once for about 6 weeks. They had a strange thing goin on down in Mobile Alabama with them. We couldnt keep a gas cap,, not for a week, park, come out, gas caps gone, we bought one, it got swiped, so, from then on , it was swipe a cap, no one in town had the right color gas cap on theirs & I suspect somewhere there was some klepto with a garage full of them,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 08/28/12 at 09:52:30

Jack_650 wrote on 08/25/12 at 23:04:20:
I have a '74 Pinto wagon up on blocks in the back yard. Can I put those rims on my Savage? Or should I go with my first plan which involved Super Glue, hula hoops and 50' of Weed Wacker string?

Sometimes the voices make me do stuff.

Jack

Not sure about that but I'm pretty sure we had somebody on the site who was darksiding with a VW tire on his Savage.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #7 - 08/28/12 at 10:27:34

rustysavage wrote on 08/25/12 at 14:18:15:
I have access to a rusted out 81 Kawasaki 440 ltd with mag rims and belt drive. I know some have used the front pulley but I was wondering if the rims would fit the savage? I believe front is 19" and the rear is 16". Thanks

Rusty you're right on the sizes of the Kawa rims...I have a 1980 KZ440 LTD and I've sat many a night wondering the same thing. I'd say it can be done but it might require major changes and refitting on the rear. Maybe more than the outcome is worth!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 08/28/12 at 11:58:54

Not sure what belt you would end up with....the Suzuki or the Kawasaki.  You may end up having to shorten or lengthen the swing arm to make it fit the belt length.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #9 - 08/28/12 at 19:13:19

I looked around and found that it's really hard to get tires narrow enough for the back of the Suzuki. The specialty tires for O-L-D cars can be gotten but they're expensive and often made to the old specs which means hard, stiff and unforgiving. Sound like anything you guys have heard before?

I'm running a Goodrich Radial T/A P155 on the back. And before you go looking for the Goodrich it's discontinued, or so I was told. I ordered it from somewhere in Tenn. I think, that had bought the molds, forms, whatever and was making them. Same markings and everything.

Jack

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 08/29/12 at 00:57:11

maybe sharing contact/ordering info would be a good thing..

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 08/29/12 at 06:07:28

HEY RUSTY,

Sounds like you need to go check out that Kawi and just take some measurements to see how everything will line up. For the rear as well as the front.
Are these wheels wider? Do they require a wider/larger tire?
Does the rear wheel have a drum brake? Is it the same as the Savage, or will you have to retro-fit the whole thing? Will the rear pulley line up straight with the front pulley?
What about the front brakes? I know I asked about using the GS550 wheels, and while the rear wheel is a direct swap, using the front wheel requires using the entire GS550 front end because none of the front brake stuff matches up; that means either custom wiring in all of the GS550 controls to match the Savage wiring because the GS uses a 7/8" handlebar...

I guess you'll find out if it works when you try it!!

IP Logged
rustysavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Nova Scotia, Canada
Reply #12 - 08/29/12 at 18:12:06

I'm thinking of stripping the rims, the front pulley, axles, front caliper and rear brake from the kawasaki. The price is right (free nothing to loose but some time). The front rim has a disc brake rear is drum, depending on axle, rim off set and clearance issues might be a winter project.  

IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/30/12 at 05:57:54

Interesting idea, if you figure it out post pics i am sure others wuould give it a try. I like the look of those wheels!

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #14 - 08/30/12 at 06:15:11

What do you mean "fit?" Like bolt right on? Yeah, sure, different manufacturers get together ALLLL the time to make sure each others parts will just swap back-n-forth no problem. Seriously, they do.

FYI the front Kawi pulley doesn't fit, it needs to be heavily modified.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 04:26:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Kawasaki rims on a savage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.