Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
ToesNose tach & speedo (Read 2340 times)
BOBD

Blacklick, Ohio
Re: ToesNose tach & speedo
Reply #15 - 08/30/12 at 06:50:44

I put 2 red led's on my mirrors and hooked them up to the turn signal wires in the head light. You have to cover the led's with a piece of a black hose big enough to fit over the led and just see the top of the led so you can see them in the daylight. Since I'm always looking in my mirrors they remind me to turn off turn signals. Also I am trying to make it a habit to turn them off right after turning.

IP Logged
Nutters
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ft. Worth, TX
Reply #16 - 08/30/12 at 07:02:20

Great project, it has given me a few similiar ideas. Keep up the good work you mad scientist!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 08/30/12 at 09:26:23

Have you ridden a bike with a heel/toe shifter......and gotten in the habit?

My wife and I rented a Harley Ultra Classic and rode it around for a day when we were in Florida this year.  It had floorboards and a heel/toe shifter......and I tried the heel part a few times and it didn't seem to be any easier or more convenient to me.  I just kept doing stuff "my way"....and kept using my toe like I normally do.  It is hard to break a routine that you have been doing since 1968.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
BOBD

Blacklick, Ohio
Reply #18 - 08/30/12 at 09:48:40

I had a heel/toe shifter on my 2009 Yamaha 650 and I liked it a lot. You get used to it. I have also put one on a Yamaha 250 I had. I doubt I will do it to the S40, I would have to fabricate it and have no way to weld it.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #19 - 08/30/12 at 11:39:19

Greg wrote on 08/28/12 at 09:31:15:
Did you need to remove any metal from the caps on the handlebars to keep the bars tight?

I'm not sure what caps you are refering to Greg  Huh
But I didn't have to do any modifications to the bike to mount them, I only had to cut the bottom of the gauge mounts themselves  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #20 - 08/30/12 at 12:11:17

ToesNose wrote on 08/30/12 at 11:39:19:
Greg wrote on 08/28/12 at 09:31:15:
Did you need to remove any metal from the caps on the handlebars to keep the bars tight?

I'm not sure what caps you are refering to Greg  Huh
But I didn't have to do any modifications to the bike to mount them, I only had to cut the bottom of the gauge mounts themselves  Wink

I believe he was questioning if the handlebar clamps tighten down enough to still hold the bars tightly. I did the same when I mounted my tach that way, I had to grind off part of the mounting tab on the tach, but I did not do anything to the risers to compensate for that additional thickness. I now have mini-apes installed too, which put more stress on those risers, but I still haven't had mine slip yet (knock on wood).

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #21 - 09/02/12 at 11:33:27

OK finally finished the prototype and I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out (other then a huge bug dive bombed it while my second coat of paint dried LOL)  Now I'm just waiting on the blue LED lights & resistors to be delivered.  The SunPro voltmeter I used on this one is a Super Mini 1 1/2", I'm also going to be making one for the more common 2 1/16" gauge size. Then I'll be casting molds of them and see how much time and how much it costs in materials to make them.  If anyone is interest just let me know, after I cast the molds and make one I'll be able to come up with a price for them.  I'm also going to make one for the keyswitch to be moved up top.  I already have someone working on patents for the first prototype, and hopefully next week I'll start working on the 2 1/16" mock-up   Cheesy

Rider's view-

Angle view-

Side view-

« Last Edit: 04/01/14 at 06:12:51 by ToesNose »  

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #22 - 09/02/12 at 11:36:35

Oh also update on the Dime City Speedo & Tach, I finally got a good ride in this morning and got on the interstate. Up into the 70's Mph with almost no vibration and no jumping needles  Wink   I've been talking with the guys at Dime City and they still recomend using rubber gaskets to dampen vibration and to help prolong the light bulbs life, so I'll probably do that soon  Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #23 - 09/02/12 at 12:35:09

Buy the The Garmin & watch the $$$$ Zumo outta yo wallet at 220 MPH!

I like it,, but, the other approach, ( Mo Wurk) versus Mo Money
would be how I would have to go.,

Virtual "gas Gauge"? Would my immediate proximity to it make it always read full, since I am?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #24 - 09/03/12 at 12:23:33

Hey BOBD I've never tried to repair a Tach, but you can open up any  gauge that has a pressed on front face you just need to take your time. I've cracked open a speedo with a stuck trip odometer and fixed it. There are vids up on YouTube explaining how to get it open and how to seal it back up, there might even be one that'll show you how to fix the Tach   Wink

IP Logged
BOBD

Blacklick, Ohio
Reply #25 - 09/03/12 at 12:37:59

Wish I would have known that a while back. I just replaced it. I don't see anything about opening one up. Maybe you can tell me where to find it. I sold that bike.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 09/03/12 at 13:01:50

BOBD, unless you have a history of performing autopsies on things that die, not seeing it & doing it is perfectly understandable. People like me take things apart, sometimes I bust them to pieces, sometimes I fix them,,
I know Im gonna walk off into my tach & hope I can find it & fix it. I saw it flutter , off & On, over the past few months, so, Im hoping its just a bad connection, busted wire, cracked board,, & not a problem inside the movement,, cuz Im no neurosurgeon.
Its not likely theres a post anywhere online thats gonna tell ya how to open it up or how to fix it.,It comes down to your personal level of McGyverism & bravery. Thankfully, working on something thats busted & that no one else is gonna fix for ya means you cant cost yourself a dime by trying.,

Securing the face? Doesnt sound like a tough problem, really,, but something thats built to be on a bike, is beuilt to survive the rain, & isnt likely to be easy to open. Odds of getting in w/o leaving some marks are pretty slim, IMO. YOu mite compromise the seal, so, may hafta ugly it up a bit so it will hold epoxy to seal it up..
If you still have it & dont want it, lemmee know..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BOBD

Blacklick, Ohio
Reply #27 - 09/03/12 at 13:08:38

Sorry don't have it. I did try to fix and I did bust it up. Got pissed and smashed the sucker. If I decide to put one on the S40 and it does the same I will do better next time. I had mine on the handlebars without any rubber damper so that may have been a problem. I would find a way to mount it with some rubber mount of some kind. I'm there is something out there. Like this: http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-choppe...  Think I can find this at the hardware store.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #28 - 09/03/12 at 13:40:12

Okay, disregard the PM,, Smiley

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #29 - 09/04/12 at 08:46:08

BOBD wrote on 09/03/12 at 12:37:59:
Wish I would have known that a while back. I just replaced it. I don't see anything about opening one up. Maybe you can tell me where to find it.

Just went onto YouTube and did a search, here's the first one that popped up-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlZrUUqn0Ik

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:22:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › ToesNose tach & speedo

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.