Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Maybe pushing the S40 a little hard? (Read 535 times)
Fry
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Maybe pushing the S40 a little hard?
Reply #15 - 08/23/12 at 10:21:01

I'll do that test tonight and report back what I find out.  To answer some other questions the tank was 3/4 full so plenty of gas.  Thanks everyone!

IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #16 - 08/24/12 at 07:04:46

Oldfeller, pine, sorry I meant to say put it in prime, not reserve. When low vac is not filling the carbs as fast as they are emptied, it doesn't matter how much gas is in the tank.

I also noticed that when I am running low on gas, it will chug along fine until I come to a stop light. Then I'll have to blip the throttle and switch to reserve/prime bedside it starts to die. I'm supprised that this has not been brought up as an issue before.

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 08/24/12 at 07:18:57

Groupus,

You have a known issue Groupus, you are posting in a thread where we are discussing your known issue as we help a newbie through his discovery process of what he's got (which is your issue, btw).

"I'm supprised that this has not been brought up as an issue before."

What do you suppose your issue might be, now that you stop and think about it.

.... I can't really believe all the people telling us they are running around on bikes that die out on them at high speed and stop them cold on the roadside, and all the OTHER people who have bikes that have to be revved up and coaxed to keep running when they get caught by a stop light .....  

AND THEY HAVEN'T FIGURED OUT WHAT'S WRONG YET.    

(shakes his head and sighs)

Undecided

Bill, get my rocker out and get it set up on the porch, I think I'm gonna go sit in it a while ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Fry
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 08/24/12 at 08:32:39

Okay so blocked off the lines and ran on prime with no real difference. The bike ran fine on the way home that same day. I've thought about switching to a manual petcock but I know me,  and I'd probably leave it on the first time I parked  Embarrassed

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #19 - 08/24/12 at 08:35:42

Fry wrote on 08/24/12 at 08:32:39:
Okay so blocked off the lines and ran on prime with no real difference. The bike ran fine on the way home that same day. I've thought about switching to a manual petcock but I know me,  and I'd probably leave it on the first time I parked  Embarrassed

As long as you don't have a problem with your float in your carb,  leaving it on won't hurt it.   I've left mine on for several days at a time with no issues.

Your Float system in the carb keeps it from just draining from the tank when the carbs bowl is full.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #20 - 08/24/12 at 08:42:22

Fry wrote on 08/24/12 at 08:32:39:

I switched to the raptor at the beginning of this year and think I've only turned it off 2 times, both maintenance issues. I always forget that I "should" turn it off, but it was a habit of riding it for the past 2 years with the stock petcock that re-trained me  Embarrassed

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #21 - 08/24/12 at 15:26:00

Let Fry make his decisions at his own pace -- he knows where to look when it reoccurs, and he also knows what the other error mode faces the vac sucker can show can be.  

Men can acknowledge something without it causing a need for them to do anything about it right now .... ask any woman, she'll tell you all about it.

Groupus's request for somebody to say "the vac petcock is a piece of shite" is all handled now and Charon is kinda sorta standing up for the vacsucker (or at least he is insisting on factual data, which is always a good thing).   He should have a good time doing so.

I am interested in the poll results, do they change overall any compared to the past or do they stay around 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 as they have in years past.

Folks saying they habitually hand maintain their idle speeds at stop lights is a new one for me -- we have folks attacking that issue by playing with their little side diaphragms on their carbs when they may be having yet another face to the long known petcock strangeness instead.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 08/24/12 at 16:23:15

After all, his spider only did one (1) single push up over his main jet .....

Smiley

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Fry
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 09/19/12 at 06:44:56

Alright well I wanted to post a quick update. I've taken the highway a number of times since that day and have not been able to reproduce the problem. Not sure if maybe I tightened up a leak when I pulled the vacum to test out the petcock. Either way for now it's working so I'm going to leave it be.

Hopefully the problem with either never come back, or come back in a way that I can reliably reproduce it. Thanks for the help everyone.

IP Logged
Fry
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 04/26/13 at 13:17:21

Well it's been a while and I wanted to updated everyone on this. Looks like it was the petcock. I've swapped out the OEM with a raptor petcock and have no had the problem the last couple weeks I've been riding.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #25 - 04/26/13 at 13:19:20

Ahh spring has sprung and Fry is back riding!!  Enjoy   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #26 - 04/26/13 at 13:45:27

Fry wrote on 04/26/13 at 13:17:21:
Well it's been a while and I wanted to updated everyone on this. Looks like it was the petcock. I've swapped out the OEM with a raptor petcock and have no had the problem the last couple weeks I've been riding.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

It was worth it just to read Oldfeller's replies!!! Grin

I am all about taking advice from knowledgeable people without arrogant second guessing on my part. I switched to the Raptor last week at just under 1k miles and will be getting the Versy next month.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 07:17:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Maybe pushing the S40 a little hard?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.