Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Maybe pushing the S40 a little hard? (Read 535 times)
Fry
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maybe pushing the S40 a little hard?
08/23/12 at 07:03:43

Hey all! I've been lurking the forums since I got my S40 back in May. Loving the bike so far, it's my first bike and this forum has helped me learn a ton!

I ran into a bit of an issue coming into work this morning. Generally I avoid the highway on my way into work, but was running late this morning. I rode about 30 miles on the highway, trying not to go over 75mpg and generally staying around 70. After about 30 miles of great traffic I got to an off ramp started to decel and the motor shutoff. Gave it a little gas let out the clutch and it kicked back on, but it had me concerned. I pulled off to the side of the road and sure enough the bike stalled out. I couldn't get it to start without giving it a little bit of throttle, and if I let off the throttle it would stall again. My S40 only has 2k miles on it and no performance mods/tweaks.

Did I just push the engine too hard? Is this normal for an engine that's overheated? Also after staying on the throttle and riding for a mile all was well again. Leading me again to hope that it was just over heated.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Re: Maybe pushing the S40 a little hard?
Reply #1 - 08/23/12 at 07:23:52

How full is the tank? How steep was the off ramp? Was it fine after you got off the ramp and were back on level roads?

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 08/23/12 at 07:28:58

Read this and do the test.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1

Seriously, don't mess around asking a lot of questions or chasing all the various comments from all the well wishing posters that you will get around here on the list.   They can have you chasing your butt and tearing stuff apart before you have tested or analysed a single thing if you let them.

DO THE TEST, and post your results the very first thing right off the bat.  Then the senior members will have something to work with and can actually help you trace down your problem.

And no, Toes, this wasn't aimed at you.   Although you did sneak in some of the same stuff mentioned in the milliseconds before I hit my enter key, I didn't know you had done it.

And if you hadn't done it, four (4) other enthusiastic people would have.  You guys need to learn how to help people, by leading them through the diagnostic tests in TECH SECTION, rather than just throwing out "what ifs".

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #3 - 08/23/12 at 07:30:05

Welcome Fry!!! I've never owned a brand new bike(a lot of basket cases and well-broken-in scoots though) so this is just my thoughts,take with a grain of salt. I'm thinking with only 2000 miles you may be pushing it a little. Your manual should give you break-in speeds for certain milage readings and I'd go by them.

I commute 45 miles each way to work(1996 Savage w/11,800+ miles) and I run 70-75mph for 20 miles on the interstate with no problem and have throttle to spare if needed. Back when we had the 105*F+ temps the scoot ran a little hotter than normal but I never had it die on me.

As an after thought......at 2000 miles it may be time for some adjustments and service. Have you changed your oil yet?

Good luck and keep us in the loop!

Zar

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #4 - 08/23/12 at 07:33:25

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/23/12 at 07:28:58:
Read this and do the test.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1

Seriously, don't mess around asking a lot of questions or chasing all the various comments from all the well wishing posters that you will get around here on the list.   They can have you chasing your butt and tearing stuff apart before you have tested or analysed a single thing if you let them.

DO THE TEST, and post your results the very first thing right off the bat.  Then the senior members will have something to work with and can actually help you trace down your problem.

OF since his scoot is brand new and only 2K miles......what are the odds the petcock is failing this soon? Not trying to argue....just curious.

Zar

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 08/23/12 at 07:48:51

A vac petcock on a Savage has one noted strange quirk, at full running speed the vac level in the engine decreases slightly which partially decreases the fuel feed from the stock vac petcock.  This can lead to a listed & known symptom of stock vac petcock malfunction (fuel starvation) which is exactly what he described in his first post.

He can do the test set up, make a high speed run, report the results and then get more "help" from there.

And you do know that vac lines can fail at any time, right?   Verslagen replaces his vac line yearly as a matter of rote.   If he tests "vac petcock system deficient" then I am sure someone will suggest replacing his vac line.

Key thing when a new person posts with a situation is to FIND OUT WHAT HIS SITUATION REALLY IS.  The standard tests in Tech Section are designed to do this.

If anyone posts with a fuel related issue, to remove over half the of "unknown" from the situation use the http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1 test.   Do it first thing, right off the bat, make the poster reply that he did the test and get him to tell us what he found out.

This will tell you instantly what he understands about the bike and what he doesn't understand.   It also cuts out over half the fail modes instantly (no matter which half, half are GONE).  Then you focus on what is left.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #6 - 08/23/12 at 08:00:29

Thanks for the clarification OF.  You make perfect sense in getting someone to do the testing work-through to help them learn their scooter and to give the gurus here a feel for someones understanding of mechanics!
That's why you're the  Cool dude!

IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #7 - 08/23/12 at 08:24:55

At high rpm for 30 miles with lower vacuum and a fresh, stiff diaphragm spring, you probably just emptied the carb bowl. Perform the test, but it might be difficult to duplicate the symptoms. If it does it again, you can always try switching to reserve to see it that fixes it.

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 08/23/12 at 08:34:16

Smiley     reserve?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 08/23/12 at 08:46:29

When I raised my idle speed mine stopped doin that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 08/23/12 at 09:11:40

Yup, and there are LOTS of good reasons why we tell all the newbies to make sure their idle speed is 1,000 rpm or slightly better.

Keeping enough oil pressure to supply the cam bearings is the main one, but keeping enough vac suction to keep the vac sucker sucking is another.

Can you say this 5 times fast?

"...... how much vac could a vac sucker suck if a vac sucker could suck vac?"

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
LouSiana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hannover, Germany
Reply #11 - 08/23/12 at 09:14:56

The vac  system should (or may I say it must) work even if one's emptying his fuel bowl at top speed.

OK, right, the vacuum decreases the more throttle you give.
But it should at least be enough even if you go on max speed all the way.

I found out (and some others here around) that not only the vac tube sometimes plays tricks on you, also the rubber flange between carb and head (exactly the two screws which loosened), one should have a close look if that four little screws holding the diaphragm case on the petcock are tightened well.
On a newer bike they should, elder ones may need some little service there. Cause may be the paper sealing and the diaphragm shrinking with time.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 08/23/12 at 09:42:11

The problem noted may be more incidious than we have thought.
This is a common problem... run at high speed and sudden decel to a stop... and silence.
What's happening here?  
High speed... low vacuum
decel to stop... high vacuum?  no!  we have a CV carb.  The butterfly is downstream of the carb and the vac pick up.  So it's possible we're seeing a low vac to low vac issue causing the bowl to empty and the engine to run lean and cut out.

WWW   IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #13 - 08/23/12 at 09:42:35

hehe

so last night... ran 60 - 70 for about 20 miles.. engine began to cut out... swiched to prime (I can do that blind.. I forget reserve) ... bike only got down to 50 before comming back to life....

Its all good.. my new Raptor petcock is on the dresser awaiting install this weekend. It just got here 3 days ago.

PS: dern it.. jut realized I refilled the tank this morning to get to work.. now I have a bunch of gas to drain, saturday!  Tongue

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 08/23/12 at 09:57:21

verslagen1 wrote on 08/23/12 at 09:42:11:
The problem noted may be more incidious than we have thought.
This is a common problem... run at high speed and sudden decel to a stop... and silence.
What's happening here?  
High speed... low vacuum
decel to stop... high vacuum?  no!  we have a CV carb.  The butterfly is downstream of the carb and the vac pick up.  So it's possible we're seeing a low vac to low vac issue causing the bowl to empty and the engine to run lean and cut out.

Interesting, isn't it?

"So it's possible we're seeing a low vac to low vac issue causing the bowl to empty and the engine to run lean and cut out."

Do this ongoing for a few years, lean out the engine at full speed multiple multiple multiple multiple times and then what sort of piston symptoms will you see when you pull your engine down later?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 07:27:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Maybe pushing the S40 a little hard?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.