Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Sad
Reply #1 - 08/22/12 at 22:40:11

Monday,.. in front of Cycle Gear.. located in a strip mall,.. a woman approached and asked for food money... I could see she's sleeping outside,.. skin like leather, dirty clothes stuck to her with days of sweat...  She got a buck from me, and a buck and change from my buddy...
.. about 2 years ago,.. a guy approached and bummed some change from me in front of a 99 cent store... I asked " Why don't you bum in front of a better store?,.. someplace where people have money?"...
He said,.. "They don't give,.. they pretend they don't hear me"...
These people are out there at nearly every strip mall and street corner in town...
Honestly,.. I turn most of them away, I can't afford to give to every one...

It didn't used to be like this...  

If anyone thinks this from some upsurge in laziness,.. try spending a day walking a parking lot in full Arizona summer sun... then, sleep under a bridge and do it again, every day for a month...

It shouldn't be like this...

I doubt if Romney has ever seen a 99 cent store...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #2 - 08/23/12 at 06:37:36

99 cent store for the 99%........

I wonder if there is a 1 cent store for the 1%?

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/23/12 at 06:41:42

I asked " Why don't you bum in front of a better store?,.. someplace where people have money?"...

Oh please…..

It didn't used to be like this...

Yes, it was always like this.

If anyone thinks this from some upsurge in laziness,.. try spending a day walking a parking lot in full Arizona summer sun... then, sleep under a bridge and do it again, every day for a month...

No, it’s not laziness in that sense. Homelessness is almost always caused by alcohol or drug addiction, mental illness, the bad luck of having crappy parents, or extremely poor choices along life’s way. Assuming she didn’t fit the first 3, I’ll bet if you actually sat down and spoke to that woman you could find choices she made that ended her up where she’s at. Don’t sit there and try to blame this on Bush and Repubicans which is what you’re doing. That’s how the next generation never gets help. You never address the real issue, only the one’s you can use as a foil.

I doubt if Romney has ever seen a 99 cent store...

Okay, I laughed at that one. Maybe never been in one, but I bet he owns a couple hundred of them.

By the way, on food:
Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:40pm EDT
(Reuters) - Americans throw away nearly half their food every year, waste worth roughly $165 billion annually, according to a study released on Tuesday.
"As a country, we're essentially tossing every other piece of food that crosses our path. That's money and precious resources down the drain," said Dana Gunders, a scientist with the Natural Resources Defense Council's food and agriculture program.
The NRDC report said Americans discard 40 percent of the food supply every year, and the average American family of four ends up throwing away an equivalent of up to $2,275 annually in food

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 08/23/12 at 07:35:02

Just anecdotal observation, there has been an increase in working poor. As in they have a job but cant make it ... My welder is in this category. He was unemployed for 3 months about 9 months ago and that seemed to have turned him from just about making it, to just about not making it.

There has been an increase in people who are getting turned away from charities. They are out of food and shelter sooner and sooner. There also has ben an increase in immigrants Illegal mostly availing of the charities.

And yet, there has been a huge increase in boarded up bank owned houses built or sold during the bubble that banks prefer to keep on their books @ loan value and claim they have more in assets than the actual street value of their assets.

There also has been an increase in the working rich - these are CEO's and other top level executives, not business owners who rake in millions. The top tier of income earners these days is the employees @ the top - not business owners, employees. Not job creators, not even investors, as simple as the rest of the populace. They get the job and get their pay assigned by their cronies, then they in turn set the pay rates for their cronies. It comes out of the company's bottom line in the good times. It comes out of the tax payers pocket in bad times. If times get real bad and the company fails, they walk away with their golden parachute.

Like the CEO of Goldman sachs said, "It is god's work"  Wink
God helped hide Greece's debt before joining the euro zone, god helped retiree funds and other investors buy home loans from the people that bought dozens of houses for millions and then let em all go back to the banks ...

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 08/23/12 at 08:03:19

WebsterMark,

I know a few people who are now out of work and have been looking for many months without luck.  One friend/acquaintance and former co-worker looked for the better part of a year and went through his family's savings in the process.  He's now in a good job but his family's lives have been seriously impacted by this.  Another has been looking for full-time employment for over a year now and has found some part-time work but it doesn't pay all the bills and he doesn't have any benefits.  He's already lost his house, his land and his savings.  Another thought he was getting to be within just a few years of being able to retire.  He's now been looking for nearly a year now and I'm pretty sure any thoughts of retirement are history.  These folks are not lazy and aren't addicts.  They are hard workers who are victims of deregulation and unbridled greed.  Now some of them may wind up becoming some of those you're calling "crappy parents" because they don't have the resources to do what they otherwise would for their kids.

I don't know what you base your assertions on, whether it's published verifiable statistics or just your personal beliefs.  I can't speak to the statistical majority because I don't know them personally and haven't seen enough actual data to make the call.  However, when I see what it's done to some good people that I know, I can feel sympathy for them and help where I can.  While I accept personal responsibility for most of both the good and bad in my life, there are things outside my control.  "There, but for the grace of God, go I." is something I think about more these days than ever before.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 08/23/12 at 10:33:02

WebsterMark wrote on 08/23/12 at 06:41:42:
I asked " Why don't you bum in front of a better store?,.. someplace where people have money?"...

Oh please…..

Oh, please?... Really?...

.. and I don't care why they are there...
They are there...
...and no,.. it wasn't always like this...
I don't know where you live Web,.. but it's a very "Let them eat cake" attitude you have...
You make it sound as if it's okay for people to live in misery, if you can justify it with some life circumstance that led them there...
How does that make anything right?...
Because they had bad upbringing, or a mental problem or an addiction, that makes it okay?...
Because you see no way that it could be you?...

Romney is definitely your man...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 08/23/12 at 10:48:41

IMHO, We have been in recession since 2005 atleast. Till 08 we were denying it cos the bushies didn't want to be called the 2 recession president.
In 08 when we finally had to admit it (and McCain tried to deny it and got egg on his face when it looked like he was clueless) the economy may have actually bottomed. The stimulus actually prevented the pent up demand from getting pent up. In a way letting Lehman bros fail was a smart thing. A smarter thing would have been to let every troubled institution that we bailed out as a proxy via AIG (and that was dont to prevent Goldman Sachs from getting a hit to its bottom line cos they were the biggest backers of the bushies as well as have their ex employees @ the treasury and fed) fail. Every subsequent failure of an investment house will have wiped out most of the rich people to the tune of 30% of their assets and saved the tax payers 3 trillion.

Recessions are best if they are short, recoveries are best if the recessions are sharp and well, they clear out the dead wood.

The reason the recession is still going on is because the dead wood is still standing and sucking up resources. The problem is systemic, Obama has nothing to do to it that wont make it worse, Bush started the bail out and spent 1.5 trillion before Obama released the last 800 billion, and by then it was too late to reverse course.
However Obama's extension of unemployment and other benifits has helped quite a few but not me, I would have like to have had that extension in 05 and 07, I didn't need it since 08.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 08/23/12 at 14:07:04

Serowbot wrote on 08/23/12 at 10:33:02:
"Let them eat cake" attitude you have...

Romney is definitely your man...

Y'know Ann said Her and Mitt were so poor @ one time they had to sell some of their stock. Yea, y'know I was giving some good advice to this homeless guy when he was asking for $ ... why dont you just sell some of your stock dude ... Yea ... good advice.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #9 - 08/23/12 at 14:55:22

I used to joke with the cashiers at the local grocery that it seemed to me groceries were $10 a bag, because if I walked out with three bags it would cost around $30 etc etc. Now it's $20 a bag. A loaf of bread costs $3.29? when did that happen? Why is food costing so much?

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 08/23/12 at 15:02:41

arteacher wrote on 08/23/12 at 14:55:22:
I used to joke with the cashiers at the local grocery that it seemed to me groceries were $10 a bag, because if I walked out with three bags it would cost around $30 etc etc. Now it's $20 a bag. A loaf of bread costs $3.29? when did that happen? Why is food costing so much?

And why do they leave food and energy (not to mention healthcare) out of cost of living calculations?  Because otherwise the results would not be something they were comfortable with.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #11 - 08/23/12 at 16:40:47

Its never been like this in my lifetime. My family has never been out of work until now. Mitts probably paid more than $2,275 for one meal.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 08/23/12 at 16:51:25

I don't know what you base your assertions on, whether it's published verifiable statistics or just your personal beliefs. I can't speak to the statistical majority because I don't know them personally and haven't seen enough actual data to make the call. However, when I see what it's done to some good people that I know, I can feel sympathy for them and help where I can. While I accept personal responsibility for most of both the good and bad in my life, there are things outside my control. "There, but for the grace of God, go I." is something I think about more these days than ever before.

My objections were over Sew’s typical hyper-liberal tone that this is all the fault of ‘rich guys’ ; whomever they are. The idea that Romney has never been in a .99 cent store… what business does that line have being in a supposedly sad commentary on the state of the economy today other than a shallow, class warfare based attack at ‘the other side’. (forgetting that his side’s been in charge for almost 4 years and responsible for the woman out of work)

"There, but for the grace of God, go I."  

Don’t mistake my pragmatic attitude towards the economics of our day with a lack of love or empathy for our fellow man. As someone with, lets say a challenging childhood; I am first in line for those saved by ‘but for the grace of God’. If not for two elderly Aunts taking 4 kids to live with them on a moment’s notice, I would have been nothing but a statistic.

My church volunteers at a food pantry which was specifically started to assist the flood of Bosnian refugees who came to St. Louis. It’s open to anyone who needs help, but in the beginning, it was almost entirely elderly Bosnians. Over the past 3 years or so, we’ve noticed the number of Bosnians has reduced while the number of people from the surrounding neighborhood increased. It’s a poor area of the city.

What I see a lot of is more and more younger people showing up for help who are clearly in this bad spot because of poor life choices. Single women with multiple children and no man around. (Murphy Brown, where are you now?...) The younger men who show up are loud and obnoxious. They stand in line for their handout with a sense of entitlement that can be maddening to observe. Last time, I had to break up a fight. I don’t know if the number of older Bosnians has dropped off because they’ve gotten settled, jobs and learned the language or if they’ve been more or less intimidated away.

Occasionally, a young man with a wife and child will show up obviously embarrassed to be there. I hope he’s embarrassed. I hope he’s mad as hell at himself. I hope he cries out of anger and frustration when he gets home. I see hope when they realize the choices they made earlier have lead them to this. Those people don’t show up but once or twice. The others have become regulars. They have no desire to improve themselves. They have become accustomed to a lifestyle of lower standards along with everyone else.

No, this is not everyone one, but I believe it represents the majority. I think liberal policies and the line of thinking Sew expresses perpetuates the cycle of dependency.

I want to bring shame back in vogue.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/23/12 at 16:59:02

I don't know where you live Web,.. but it's a very "Let them eat cake" attitude you have...
You make it sound as if it's okay for people to live in misery, if you can justify it with some life circumstance that led them there...
Because they had bad upbringing, or a mental problem or an addiction, that makes it okay?...

as I said above, I don’t have a let them eat cake attitude. And it’s not okay for people to live in misery. I’m afraid too many have become accustomed to lower lifestyles. Misery loves company, I guess it’s true.

Doesn’t make it right, but it’s not Mitt Romney fault. It’s not Bill Gates fault. It’s not some ananomous rich guys’ fault. In many cases, it’s their own fault. If all we had to deal with were the one’s where it really isn’t their fault, it would be no problem.

Absolutely could be me. I could lose my job tomorrow, my wife could lose her, have an accident or something and I’d be in a world of hurt. But I would not sit there and say Mitt Romney’s never been in a .99 store.

I would never say a completely asinine line like this one: Its never been like this in my lifetime. My family has never been out of work until now. Mitts probably paid more than $2,275 for one meal.

I don't have that jealous gene that seems to run through your veins. I don't blame others for my own screw ups and expect unlce sam to take money out of someone's wallet and give it to me.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #14 - 08/23/12 at 17:32:32

I quit giving money to bums the day this happened: I pulled up to a stop sign in a rough neighborhood and this woman is jumping up and down trying to get my attention like it's an emergency.  Oh gosh,  her mother just had a heart attack and needed gas money to go see her right away!  I fall for that and give her 5 bucks.  Then I stopped about a block away to gas up, and another bum asks me for money. I start telling him about the other bum and before I can get two sentences out, he says "What, her mother had a heart attack?  She's smoking crack every night."  So I thank that guy for the information and gave him a buck, and think: Great, I just facilitated a crack purchase. So I went back to the first bum and started raising hell with her, trying to get my 5 bucks back.  It soon became clear that nothing short of a physical assault was going to make her cough it up. This bum REALLY wanted her fix.  So I moved on, lesson learned.

Now for the sad story. I'm on my bike and see this NON-bum hustling with a squeegee at a stoplight, you know, cleaning windshields for whatever tip he can get.  I really like that kind of guy, who offers you something in exchange.. and seeing that, would give him some pocket change even though I had no windshield to clean.  The timing of the light didn't work out, and I didn't give him any money.  But after I went to the store and was passing the other way.. a goddamm COP was writing him a TICKET!  For unauthorized solicitation or whatever.  It doesn't get any sadder than that, folks.

Now for the good story. I'm in Houston, I'm on foot and a NON-bum comes up and is selling beer.  He has a cooler full of ice cold Budweisers and is selling them for $1.  SOLD  Grin

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 01:32:38

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Sad

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.