Send Topic Print
Medicare (Read 226 times)
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Re: Medicare
Reply #15 - 08/26/12 at 20:19:25

I've already told you Web. When this country flourished as you mentioned in your first post the rich were paying taxes. All you have to do is look at the tax rate during the investment in America time you mentioned. Due to the decline of the rich paying taxes and the stupid wars, we are in the shape we are in now. Its history, dont argue with me. Rewrite the history books if you dont like it. Our citizens health and well being should be the last thing the goverment cuts back on. There's too many other things like defense, useless wars, foreign aid etc. I dont see how anyone can stand in front of a crowd and claim to love their country and wanna see seniors who paid into the system for the most part of their life do without. As Retread said in a previous post its not a handout, its an entitlement.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 08/27/12 at 06:00:07

I've already told you Web. When this country flourished as you mentioned in your first post the rich were paying taxes

no, no no no no. Not true. Spending was miniscule compare to what it is now. But that's not the main thing wrong with your thinking.

Its history, dont argue with me.

I am going to argue with you because you are wrong. It’s a fallacy that high tax rates yield prosperity.

Here’s an exercise for you. How much revenue was generated from those high tax rates you refer to and how many actual earners fell into those categories?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #17 - 08/27/12 at 06:24:43

Higher taxes worked when Bill Clinton was in office.GWB lowered taxes and you know what happened.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #18 - 08/27/12 at 06:36:14

WebsterMark wrote on 08/26/12 at 18:49:12:
No Midnight; LBJ started the Great Society and the War on Poverty which is ironic since it's where we are all going now.

Maybe we could look back and point to this as the beginning of the end. We took a safety net and tried to make a hardwood floor out of it.
In 1960, the federal budget per person was $4,000 or so.  Today, it’s over $11,000 per person.

Now again, tell me exactly how we have a revenue problem and not a spending problem?....

We took a safety net and tried to change it into a net full of razor blades ...

Correct it was 4k in 1960 per person and its 11K now ... and what was a loaf of bread in 1960 ? what was a gal of gasoline in 1960 ? what was the cost of electricity in 1960 ? How about the roof over your head ... cos if I remember in 1960 too people still had to have those things to survive.

Its called inflation my friend.
The 11k doesn't mean they are living in luxury as the rich people and if it was just the rich it would be alright ... its the brain washed wanna be rich as well ... would like people to think ...

Its right up there with Joe the Plummer's tax dilema ... Obama was going to raise taxes on me if I statred making over 250K per year ... bad, bad, bad. Yea right moron, you barely make 55K now, you will take decades if not centuries if things go right before you get to 250K. You are worried about your taxes going up then ... really ... really.

The whole taxes on the rich (the 1%) need to be lower so that the soon to be rich (the 99%) will enjoy the lower taxes too has a fine print there, and that is, if they ever get to becoming rich ...

I'm a bit horrified that 11K per head is all we are spending on the safety net ... seriously in 50 years what else has not even tripled in $ ... yea I know, Internet. In 1960 you would have paid billions for the speed we have now ... how about TV's and electronic gadgets ... yea You get the point ... not neccesities for life my friend.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #19 - 08/27/12 at 07:07:56

WebsterMark wrote on 08/27/12 at 06:00:07:
Here’s an exercise for you. How much revenue was generated from those high tax rates you refer to and how many actual earners fell into those categories?

Webster, it makes no difference how much $ is being collected by the progressive taxes on the rich ... there is 1 reason - moral hazard. Reason #2 is that its anti reinvestment.

Reason #1 is the more powerful IMHO, which is why Ron Paul was against the bailout in 2007/08, and why he wants to throw out the 17th amendment.

It is extremely bad to reward someone for a crime. You want taxes to be low, lower them for everyone. It still needs to be progressive, so if Mitt "the I paid no less than 13% in taxes" Romney gets 13%, I should get 5% or less ... and if you make even less than I do, you need to have to pay even less, so I guess we need a smaller govt, like ... no govt ... cos you cant run the govt on 1/100th the current expenditure.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 08/27/12 at 07:31:59

Correct it was 4k in 1960 per person and its 11K now ... and what was a loaf of bread in 1960 ? what was a gal of gasoline in 1960 ? what was the cost of electricity in 1960 ? How about the roof over your head ... cos if I remember in 1960 too people still had to have those things to survive.

The 11k doesn't mean they are living in luxury as the rich people and if it was just the rich it would be alright ... its the brain washed wanna be rich as well ... would like people to think ...

i stopped reading right there because the numbers have been adjusted for inflatation which is standard practice when comparing one year to the next.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #21 - 08/27/12 at 09:57:04

WebsterMark wrote on 08/27/12 at 07:31:59:

i stopped reading right there because the numbers have been adjusted for inflatation which is standard practice when comparing one year to the next.

Sorry inflation adjustment isn't that accurate ... not in a 52 year span. And please cite the source that says these numbers. I really dont think its adjusted for inflation.
BTW as a quick note in 1982 they switched from purchase prices of houses to rents as a measure of inflation and cost of living. Sometime in 2009 they went back to house prices. Sometime in the middle they also came up with a new calculation - core inflation - food and energy taken out of inflation.

There is also the facts that many items like food, medical, college tuition etc are climbing faster than inflation ... and some items like durable good (not in the CLI) are actually far below inflation.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 08/27/12 at 11:07:14

one source below. i found this in several places.

http://supportingevidence.com/Government/fed_budget_per_resident_over_time.html

2) The chart shows the total federal budget, or how much it spent during each fiscal year - from 1962 to 2009, with projections
through 2015, adjusted for inflation to constant FY2005 dollars - divided by the U.S. resident population over time. Inflation
reduces the buying power of the dollar over time. So constant FY2005 dollars adjusts to constant buying power over time.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #23 - 08/27/12 at 12:01:09

WebsterMark wrote on 08/27/12 at 11:07:14:
one source below. i found this in several places.

http://supportingevidence.com/Government/fed_budget_per_resident_over_time.html

2) The chart shows the total federal budget, or how much it spent during each fiscal year - from 1962 to 2009, with projections
through 2015, adjusted for inflation to constant FY2005 dollars - divided by the U.S. resident population over time. Inflation
reduces the buying power of the dollar over time. So constant FY2005 dollars adjusts to constant buying power over time.

Thank you for posting that webster mark - Now I'd like to get a tally of the $ paid out to veterans+retirees+medical from that 1960 number vs 2011 is it - OK yea ... if I recall 1960 was pre vietnam. We had ww2 then.
So yes numbers like this for the wars and the retirementshould be compared too.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 08/27/12 at 12:13:12

Thank you for posting that webster mark - Now I'd like to get a tally of the $ paid out to veterans+retirees+medical from that 1960 number vs 2011 is it - OK yea ... if I recall 1960 was pre vietnam. We had ww2 then.

have at it, do whatever you want.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #25 - 08/27/12 at 12:22:34

WebsterMark wrote on 08/27/12 at 12:13:12:

have at it, do whatever you want.

What you mean have @ it ... I'm saying the data given in incomplete, and without the mandatory expenditures its meaningless.

Say in 60 we spent $12 per capita on veterans and retirees.
In 2012 that number may be 10K. I dont know but its a matter where we have no choice - then the amount spent on social programs has dropped from 4000 in 60 to under 1000 in inflation adjusted terms for 2010.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #26 - 08/27/12 at 12:28:36

OK this is all I could find -

http://supportingevidence.com/Government/fed_budget_as_percent_GDP_over_time....

The 07 recession has caused that last bit to climb a bit, but in historic terms its very well manageable and close to the 1960 mark. Plus remember, retiring people and returning war veterans will have that number climbing more and more in the future unless the economy expands rapidly.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #27 - 08/27/12 at 12:34:38

Oh wow look at this -
http://supportingevidence.com/Government/Def_HHS_Percent_GDP.html

Huh ... the Defence spending dropped steadily from 92 to 2000 and spiked from 00 to 2008, after which it appeared to have turned downward ... wonder who was in the WH at those times ?

And health and human services seems to constantly be rising from 1962. wonder why ...

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #28 - 08/27/12 at 12:40:30

And in 2005 dollars, GDP numbers ...

http://supportingevidence.com/Government/US_GDP_over_time.html

Man that sorta increase in GDP comes with its own set of rules ... its doubled from 70 to 95, and stayed with that same rate of rise through to now.

You do know that your 4k-11K rise from 1960 to 2010 is a bit pathetic incomparison right - in 1960 we were @ less than a trillion. in 2008 we were @ 13 trillion. 15 fold increase vs a 3 fold increase ... OK who says they have to increase in lock step ... Ok fine ... however if you count in the mandatory payments I am gonna say the 4k to 11K rise is closer to a 4k-5K rise than to 11.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #29 - 08/27/12 at 12:46:59

Oh wow look at this -

http://supportingevidence.com/Government/fed_debt_as_percent_GDP_over_time.html

From 95-2001 the debt to gdp dropped from about 68% to around 58%. Who was running the WH then ... Bill Clintstone ah I see.

Then from 2001 where it was @ 58, it climbed to 82% was it in 2009 ... guess who's in the WH then ? Bushies .. correct.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/14/24 at 12:21:45

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Medicare

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.