Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MARSOC .50 Cal Sniper Helps Taliban Meet Allah  Re (Read 146 times)
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
MARSOC .50 Cal Sniper Helps Taliban Meet Allah  Re
08/22/12 at 04:26:37

Just one item from an interesting website
Real life ... not from Hollywood

http://sofrep.com/10276/marsoc-50-cal-sniper-helps-taliban-meet-allah/

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Re: MARSOC .50 Cal Sniper Helps Taliban Meet Allah
Reply #1 - 08/22/12 at 21:42:56

Lancer, the .338 Lapua is getting good reviews as a sniper round. I have a Barrett wooden .50 cal ammo crate my Bro-in-law picked up in Murfreesboro for $10. As a Nashville architect he gets around all over Tn. A service station had the crates stacked out front, so he got me one. Not like the dovetail made ammo boxes of 50 years ago, but still a part of history.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 08/22/12 at 23:17:58

GoPro in country?...
That's the quietest 50 cal I ever heard... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #3 - 08/23/12 at 02:43:16

30.06 and .308 used to be the standard sniper rounds. Then they started useing .50s for Hard Targets.
In recent years the standard rifles been the .338 and the .300 win mag.

As a side note the .50s are kind of a throwback to the turn of the century.
During WW1 some of the first man portable Anti-Tank weapons were .50s
By WW11 even the 37mm was obsolete and the 75mm was haveing a real hard time. The german 88mm was devestateing though.

IP Logged
cowboy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/23/12 at 21:25:40

i don't believe those guys are snipers. out in the open, to many shots. they are reg. army. you guys should read a book called american sniper by nayy seal chris kyle. over 160 kills. heck of a read. Cool

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #5 - 08/24/12 at 13:55:37

Read One Shot One Kill, Marine Sniper or White Feather. Their about Carlos Hathcock. Marine sniper in Viet Nam. 93 'confirmed' kills. At that time kills had to be confirmed by a third party, usually an officer. In the jungle that wasn't always an option. Although he never kept a ledger, Hathcock once guessed that he’d taken out upward of 300 enemy personnel during his time in the Vietnam bush.
Held the record for the longest shot(1967) of over 2500 yards untill 2002.

Hathcock was one of several individuals to utilize the M2 Browning machine gun in the sniping role. This success led to the adoption of the .50 BMG cartridge as a viable sniper round. Sniper rifles have since been designed around and chambered in this caliber since the 1970s.

Hathcock generally used the standard sniper rifle: the Winchester Model 70 .30-06 caliber rifle with the standard 8-power Unertl scope. On some occasions, however, he used a different weapon: the M2 Browning machine gun, on which he mounted a 10X Unertl scope, using a bracket of his own design. Hathcock made a number of kills with this weapon in excess of 1,000 yards, including his record for the longest confirmed kill at 2,500 yards.
The NVA had a bounty of $30,000 on Hathcock when the typical bounty was $8-$2,000.

Parts of his history has been used in several movies and TV shows. The movie Sniper is loosely based on some of Hathcock's exploits in Vietnam. Criminal Minds, Jag and NCIS among others.

A sniper range is named for Hathcock at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina.
On March 9, 2007 the rifle and pistol complex at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar was officially renamed the Carlos Hathcock Range Complex.
Springfield Armory designed a highly accurized version of their M1A Supermatch rifle with a McMillan Stock and match grade barrel and dubbed it the "M-25 White Feather". The rifle had a likeness of Hathcock's signature and his "white feather logo" marked on the receiver.

The Viet Cong and N.V.A. called Hathcock Lông Trắng, translated as "White Feather", because of the white feather he kept in a band on his bush hat. After a platoon of trained Vietnamese snipers was sent to hunt down "White Feather", many Marines in the same area donned white feathers to deceive the enemy. These Marines were aware of the impact Hathcock's death would have and took it upon themselves to make themselves targets in order to confuse the counter-snipers.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 08/25/12 at 06:22:53

cowboy wrote on 08/23/12 at 21:25:40:
i don't believe those guys are snipers. out in the open, to many shots. they are reg. army. you guys should read a book called american sniper by nayy seal chris kyle. over 160 kills. heck of a read. Cool

A lot depends on the mission, location and current situation on the ground at the time.  From the bits and pieces of conversation that can be heard it sounds to me like they are in contact with a moving and advancing enemy group, in relatively open terrain and are operating as a standard spcl ops team (usually 5-6 in number) with one carrying the big sniper rifle; not a sniper 2 man team sent out to take out specific targets while maintaining a stealthy posture.
In this situation the team chose to bring the 50 so they could reach out and touch someone farther out.  Given the mission assigned, team members choose their weapons based upon their expected needs and they have every type weapon there is to choose from.  
The hardware has changed over time of course with new and improved stuff available now, but the basics of how they operate their missions is still the same.  I spent the last 6 months of a tour in Vietnam flying full time (UH-1H Huey) for the Special Op's group in northern S Vietnam.  (all across the DMZ, Khe Sanh, Laos and into North Vietnam)  When prepping for a mission they would open up their armory and say "pick what you want to carry today".  The variety was amazing and made for a heck of a lot of fun.  I favored a sawed off M-1 with carved piston grip and dual 30 round clips tapped together for a quick flip reload.  The mini grenades (golf ball size) were a favorite as well.  I could load my lower flightsuit  pant leg pockets  with 8-10 in each. They were tiny but had a similar kill radius as a standard grenade.
We took out heavy teams on occasion who carried a 5.56 mini-gun mounted on a double layer 3/4" treated plywood and 2 truck batteries to spin the barrel up.

My call sign was "Lancer27"
http://www.thelancers.org/

* My daily ride

(I ran across this on a forum while looking for maps; this happened just a couple of months after I finished my tour in Dec '71 and went back to THE REAL WORLD as it was termed.  This was part of our operating area)

Fran Lawrence says:
4/7/2009 at 1:42 pm
Also, March 29-30 1972 at Quang Tri, was the first time that SAMs and regular AAA weapons were used. The NVA introduced the Soviet-built SA-7 (Strella) heat-seeking, shoulder-fired missile, for use against low and slow-flying Allied aircraft. It was deadly, and numerous Allied aircraft losses were attributed to the weapon.

Air cavalry units with the primary mission of supporting South Vietnamese Army forces were the only active Army combat units in Vietnam throughout 1972. Both the 11th CAG and the 12th CAG, (Combat Aviation Group), were there until at least Feb. 1973.

Many of these men fought, supplied logistical lift and provided medevacs in support of the ARVN troops in the biggest battle of Vietnam, ‘The Easter Offensive’ or ‘The Spring Offensive’. ‘The Easter Offensive’ began and ended in ‘The Second Battle of Quang Tri’. Some of these men died there.

Until USAF fire power could be transported back from Saigon, (sent there from the ‘drawdown’), 1st Calvary, Combat Aviation Groups held down the fort with help from the Marines that where still there. There were still some Navy offshore that helped too later with firepower. The Army of the Republic of Vietnam, backed by the United States Army, shelled more than 80,000 tons of ordnance, the destructive capacity equivalent to almost six Hiroshima-size atomic bombs.

When the massive firepower was first unleashed, unsuspecting NVA soldiers reporting for duty were in the city at the time and Quang Tri was referred to as ‘Hamburger City’ by some that saw the aftermath.

As well, leading out of the city was still ‘The Highway of Horrors’ from when South Vietnam had earlier lost its Quang Tri Province on May 1st, 1972 and the NVA cut down masses of panic civilians, war refugees, who were fleeing the city and got stuck at Truong Phuoc Bridge because of the traffic jam after an enemy artillery shell heavily damaged the bridge. Chaos occurred when enemy artillery began a rain of many hundreds shells from their 130mm guns on the refugees. A moment later, Communist foot soldiers attacked the crowd with infantry weapons that included mortars and grenade launchers.

When ‘The Second Battle of Quang Tri’ was over, (Sept. 16, 1972 the city was taken back. On Oct. 22, 1972 Quang Tri Province firebases were secured), not one building remained standing. The intense bombing, combined with U.S. use of the Agent Orange defoliant, turned the land into a virtual moonscape.

This all took place during ‘Operation Ceasefire’ when we were standing down and turning over the bases to the ARVN.

Americans still have little knowledge of this time in Vietnam and the part that brave American troops, including U.S. Army Air Calvary, Combat Aviation Groups, took in it.

As well, the brave nurses and doctors, many that volunteered, during this horrific time.

Camp Evans:  Our home base; you can see the beach in the upper right...got there to swim a few times...a really nice break

Major northern city, Quang Tri on the right; red line at top left is DMZ's souther line; larger bold black names are US Fire Bases; our normal daily job as an Assault Helicopter Co. was to support the Fire Bases with troops and supplies, with larger combat assaults thrown in here and there.  The Huey is a pick-up-truck with M60 (7.62)machine guns on both sides for defense.

Khe Sanh...site of 2 very large and costly battles; I got there just in time for the 2nd one.  
In the upper right is the ROCKPILE; a mountain of solid rock jutting up from the surrounding terrain.  The peak of that rock is where I inserted the special ops team with the minigun.   When we picked them up later in the midst of an all out assault on the team there was brain matter splattered all over the minigun.  It's the kind of thing that sticks with you forever.

The Rockpile

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #7 - 08/26/12 at 01:44:23

He!! Lancer, you may well of hauled one of my uncles around.
He was one of the green beanies that ran around playing with the Yards in the highlands. Had some wild stories from two tours.
Ate some nasty stuff to make friends with the yards. Man Loved Noc Mam though.

Brother was a high tech electronics expert they flew all over the country to the foreward air bases. Worked on everything from hueys n cobras to phantoms and Puff. He REALLY hated them big rockets they would toss into the air bases from time to time.

Had a good friend used to command a 105 or 155 crew, can't remember now. Had like a week left in country, next day back to the rear.
Had an alert their last day there and all came bailing out of their bunker to man their gun. Rocket hit right in the middle of em. Wiped out his whole gun crew he had spent a whole tour with. Messed him up pretty good as well.
Nasty war that was.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 08/26/12 at 04:05:09

Wolfman wrote on 08/26/12 at 01:44:23:
He!! Lancer, you may well of hauled one of my uncles around.
He was one of the green beanies that ran around playing with the Yards in the highlands. Had some wild stories from two tours.
Ate some nasty stuff to make friends with the yards. Man Loved Noc Mam though.

Brother was a high tech electronics expert they flew all over the country to the foreward air bases. Worked on everything from hueys n cobras to phantoms and Puff. He REALLY hated them big rockets they would toss into the air bases from time to time.

Had a good friend used to command a 105 or 155 crew, can't remember now. Had like a week left in country, next day back to the rear.
Had an alert their last day there and all came bailing out of their bunker to man their gun. Rocket hit right in the middle of em. Wiped out his whole gun crew he had spent a whole tour with. Messed him up pretty good as well.
Nasty war that was.

If your uncle was in the northern unit based at Quang Tri during 1971 then I hauled his butt around the place.
Their secure compound within the base was called "LZ Rolex".  All the US ops dudes were issued Rolex watches for dependable time keeping.  

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #9 - 08/26/12 at 13:09:21

Sounds about right,been awhile since he talked about it though.
They had a special ops unit working with the yards that only used the colt 45 with a silancer there for awhile.
Yards would lay along a trail untill the VC or NVA came through. Would quietly knock off the last one or two guys going down the trail then fade. More of a terror unit. Really did some mind games on them.

One thing about the yards were they were tough lil buggers. VC and NVA absolutely Hated them!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 08/27/12 at 03:20:16

Wolfman wrote on 08/26/12 at 13:09:21:
Sounds about right,been awhile since he talked about it though.
They had a special ops unit working with the yards that only used the colt 45 with a silancer there for awhile.
Yards would lay along a trail untill the VC or NVA came through. Would quietly knock off the last one or two guys going down the trail then fade. More of a terror unit. Really did some mind games on them.

One thing about the yards were they were tough lil buggers. VC and NVA absolutely Hated them!

Yep, the mountain tribes were tough loyal fighters, and made up half of  most of the teams we  inserted on the missions.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:25:58

General CategoryThe Cafe › MARSOC .50 Cal Sniper Helps Taliban Meet Allah  Re

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.