Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gremlins of the electrical kind. (Read 113 times)
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Gremlins of the electrical kind.
08/21/12 at 13:57:51

On the way home yesterday my bike sputtered out and died. I pulled onto the sidewalk and tried to start it, only to be greeted to an angry clicking sound and lights dimming out as it tried to turn over. I rolled the bike onto a side street and down a hill. Threw it into 2nd and let out the clutch... away she goes. Knowing that my battery is dead I kept my rpm's up and made it about mile before I (thoughtlessly) signaled a turn and she sputtered out and died again. I roll started it again and then the next time she died I was on a flat and I just pulled to the side and called my wife to come give me a jump.
While I was waiting a friendly biker came by in his pickup and gave me a boost. This time I didn't even get to the end of the block before she died again. After disconnecting the headlight we jumped her again and I got home. I left her on the charger over night and nervously rode to work this morning. I did a load test on the battery. 12.75 when the bike is off. The battery dipped to 9.something as she started but the bike fired up first shot and then the battery sat at 12.5 while the bike idled.
I had been thinking it was a bad battery, now I'm not so sure. Those reading indicate a good battery don't they?

Next up, rectifier and stator tests.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Gremlins of the electrical kind.
Reply #1 - 08/21/12 at 14:12:10

12.5 at idle.  You might just be seeing the battery, not the charging system.
According to Clymers, you should get 14 to 15.5 at 5000 rpm.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #2 - 08/21/12 at 14:16:02

Yep, when rev'd I was getting 14.5v

Just checked the alternator.... darn glad I have a spare one of those sitting on my shelf. I'm getting 10-12 Volts off one of the legs where I should be getting 100V+

IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #3 - 08/21/12 at 15:21:15

Before ripping into things I thought to check the rest of my connections. The other three wire plug that comes from the regulator rectifier was loose to the point of almost being disconnected. Any body know if this could have caused my issue?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 08/21/12 at 16:25:15

Yes, clean the connectors where they arced and put it back together firmly and see if you get 14-16 volts at the battery when you rev the engine up some.  

(charge the battery completely before doing this test, you are looking for the max output voltage from your charging system and do not want the battery itself sucking away at the output you are trying to measure)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #5 - 08/21/12 at 16:39:45

I reconnected the non-yellow 3-wire connection coming from the rectifier (what are those lines anyway?) and redid all the tests, everything checks well into the green. What a relief!

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #6 - 08/21/12 at 17:17:38

A rectifier takes AC voltage and turns it into DC. It shouldn't be hard to figure out what the other wires are after knowing that: they  are the DC output wires. Well, two of them anyways. The third wire is most likely an excitation wire. Basically it tells the rectifier to start working. Mine doesn't have that third wire.

IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #7 - 08/22/12 at 08:22:09

It was the third wire I was wondering about. I know where the other two go.

IP Logged
wernermeister
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spotsylvania Virgina
Reply #8 - 08/22/12 at 18:08:31

Cavi Mike wrote on 08/21/12 at 17:17:38:
A rectifier takes AC voltage and turns it into DC. It shouldn't be hard to figure out what the other wires are after knowing that: they  are the DC output wires. Well, two of them anyways. The third wire is most likely an excitation wire. Basically it tells the rectifier to start working. Mine doesn't have that third wire.

I looked at all wiring diagrams I found and they all show 3 wires. What year to you have for not showing the third (+, -, 3rd is coming from ingnition switch for ON position).

I do not believe any statistic I did not falsify myself.
If all else fails, manipulate the data.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 04:25:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gremlins of the electrical kind.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.