Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Thinking of buying the 2012 Boulevard S40 (Read 663 times)
kalm333888
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Thinking of buying the 2012 Boulevard S40
08/21/12 at 13:52:02

I dont have any experience with the bike, but i am interested in getting one. Are there any noticeable issues with the 2012 model ? and is the backfiring really that bad ? Cause i know in canada if you have any exhaust that isn't stock, they can fine you for it.... the whole rejetting process i have no clue how to do if i ever get the bike and whether it would be possible through a dealer here.....

IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Re: Thinking of buying the 2012 Boulevard S40
Reply #1 - 08/21/12 at 13:59:09

What province are you in? I've only every heard of people being fined for running straight pipes around here.

IP Logged
Foxman276
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Nova Scotia, Canada
Reply #2 - 08/21/12 at 15:04:40

Same in NS. No law about stock.

My 2011 is stock right now and the backfiring is non-existent unless I downshift aggressively.

IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/21/12 at 23:02:02

Go to www.motorcycle.com click on reviews and check out Suzuki Comprisons Three for Five, Budget Bombers. This was written in 2007 but the only thing that seems to have changed on the bike is the colours. There are also individual reviews of the S40 on this site. Most of them favourable considering the type of bike that it is. Some people on this site may consider you get a better deal second hand and will argue cogently for this option. However, you will at least get a factory warranty buying new and won't have to worry about other peoples mods and tinkerings. I brought mine new in 2010 and have no regrets. I thoroughly enjoy it so far and think this site is wonderful. If I hadn't brought a tach off EBAY today I'd think about donating.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/21/12 at 23:27:11

Ive been wrenching on stuff since I was a kid. I was the mechanic for an oilfield company, by The Mechanic, I mean I was the guy who did all the repairs & drove trucks & operated equipment in the field. I bought a new one, so I would have that warranty. I wished later I had known how easy it would be to keep it going. I coulda saved at least $2,000.00. If I had found this place before I found the bike, I woulda got a used one. All the car & truck wrenching I had done didnt comfort me when I was thinking about working on a bike. Its so danged Easy,, I wish I woulda bought used,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 08/22/12 at 05:47:25

I always buy new,When you buy used your buying someone else's troubles,And you can see on here they troubles people have.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Cookie1247
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/22/12 at 05:59:40

I bought a 2006 S40 with 1850 miles on it about 6 months ago for $2800.  I am new to cycling and wanted a bike that was lightweight and handled easily but had enough power to cruise at 60 mph.  Minor backfiring but I easily manage it by minimizing the engine braking and using the suggestions in this forum.  Otherwise, this machine has been trouble-free.  Overall, a great buy!  I would highly recommend the S40; particularly to someone new to cycling. Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 08/22/12 at 06:49:51

bill67 wrote on 08/22/12 at 05:47:25:
I always buy new,When you buy used your buying someone else's troubles,And you can see on here they troubles people have.

When mine get a new owner, That owner will be buying a bike thats been looked after & had the bugs worked out..I disagree with the "Always buy new" & I am in real good company. I know a millionaire who NEVER buys a new vehicle. Ill never buy another new anything with wheels.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
cafecarl

I love old
motorcycles

Maine
Reply #8 - 08/22/12 at 12:46:19

If you want the dealer to do all the work on it, maybe better to buy new but if you enjoy doing some stuff yourself, I'm with Justin_O. There's a bunch of lightly used S40s out there and some of them have had an easy life. Not everyone is out to screw you. I always tell a buyer everything I know about a bike, I'd rather lose money than have someone think I shafted them.

IP Logged
kalm333888
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/22/12 at 14:33:45

greenmonster wrote on 08/21/12 at 13:59:09:
What province are you in? I've only every heard of people being fined for running straight pipes around here.

im in quebec at the moment, and any time i go to the dealer they are always offering other pipes to fit to the bikes, then i ask them if it is legal, and they say ... only if the cop is in a bad mood and really needs to give a ticket Tongue ... but alot of times people are stopped here for not having stock pipes and fined hundreds...

IP Logged
kalm333888
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/22/12 at 14:36:31

Thank you all for the replies... i mean i know its easy getting a used bike... its just the satisfaction of having a brand new vehicle and knowing if something is wrong with the bike coming the factory, that you can take it back within a year to get it repaired properly through dealer. But ya anyways ... looks like the 2012 doesn't really have a huge backfiring issue based on what i am reading so gonna go for it, but only after they make a promotion or the 2013 comes out if there are none left in stock. Cause they only usually make a small quantity as not many people buy them, just mainly the schools training students.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 08/22/12 at 16:05:43

kalm333888 wrote on 08/22/12 at 14:36:31:
Thank you all for the replies... i mean i know its easy getting a used bike... its just the satisfaction of having a brand new vehicle and knowing if something is wrong with the bike coming the factory, that you can take it back within a year to get it repaired properly through dealer. But ya anyways ... looks like the 2012 doesn't really have a huge backfiring issue based on what i am reading so gonna go for it, but only after they make a promotion or the 2013 comes out if there are none left in stock. Cause they only usually make a small quantity as not many people buy them, just mainly the schools training students.

Even if it did backfire a bit, it's very easily adjusted.  If you do get it, welcome to the club.  Either way, welcome to the site!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
tizzyfit

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 08/22/12 at 16:14:09

kalm333888 wrote on 08/21/12 at 13:52:02:
I dont have any experience with the bike, but i am interested in getting one. Are there any noticeable issues with the 2012 model ? and is the backfiring really that bad ? Cause i know in canada if you have any exhaust that isn't stock, they can fine you for it.... the whole rejetting process i have no clue how to do if i ever get the bike and whether it would be possible through a dealer here.....

Until you decide whether or not a motorcycle is in your life long term, it's far better to buy a low mileage used S40 than pay full retail plus all the add-on charges the stealership enjoys including with new purchases.
Case in point, I paid $2,000 for my 2006 S40 with 810 miles on the ODO.  The previous owner decided they wanted/needed a Harley and the Harley stealership didn't want to accept the S40 on trade.  Check craigslist and ebay, with summer coming to a close, you just might find a screaming deal.
Until you decide riding a motorcycle is something you enjoy, it's far easier to recover most of a $2,000 expenditure than losing your arse on a $5,000+ purchase.

IP Logged
Foxman276
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Nova Scotia, Canada
Reply #13 - 08/22/12 at 16:17:34

kalm333888 wrote on 08/22/12 at 14:33:45:
greenmonster wrote on 08/21/12 at 13:59:09:

im in quebec at the moment, and any time i go to the dealer they are always offering other pipes to fit to the bikes, then i ask them if it is legal, and they say ... only if the cop is in a bad mood and really needs to give a ticket Tongue ... but alot of times people are stopped here for not having stock pipes and fined hundreds...

Sounds like a good reason to bid La Belle Province salut!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 08/22/12 at 16:17:46

tizzyfit wrote on 08/22/12 at 16:14:09:
Until you decide whether or not a motorcycle is in your life long term, it's far better to buy a low mileage used S40 than pay full retail plus all the add-on charges the stealership enjoys including with new purchases.
Case in point, I paid $2,000 for my 2006 S40 with 810 miles on the ODO.  The previous owner decided they wanted/needed a Harley and the Harley stealership didn't want to accept the S40 on trade.  Check craigslist and ebay, with summer coming to a close, you just might find a screaming deal.
Until you decide riding a motorcycle is something you enjoy, it's far easier to recover most of a $2,000 expenditure than losing your arse on a $5,000+ purchase.

Very sound.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 04:30:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Thinking of buying the 2012 Boulevard S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.