Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
My Bike is a Jerk ... at Low Speeds (Read 397 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: My Bike is a Jerk ... at Low Speeds
Reply #15 - 08/20/12 at 20:49:01

Sounds like a sticky slide

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #16 - 08/20/12 at 20:59:54

Let's face it boys, gas is getting "worser" by the day. This month the first page in Motorcycle Consumer News is titled "Ethanol". And either Cycle World or Rider magazine has an answer in the tech section stating the effects Ethanol and the EPA has had on our bikes performance. Even the newer bikes with injection are having some problems with uneven power bands, jerking, parts that handle gas leaking or other problems. The owners are mad, the dealers just throw up their hands, and the bikes get a bad name. As one author put it, "These companies don't want to sell less than perfect machines, but it is what it is." That quote isn't verbatim, but lean engines running weak gas don't work like they should. Try taking half the sugar and putting 1/3 more water in your tea, and you'll get my drift.  Wink

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 08/21/12 at 06:05:31

Where do you live?  Maybe someone in the area can ride your bike and your ride theirs....and see if they can help.

I think all members should update their personnel information to include where they are from......it would help us to know if we live close by and can help in person.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #18 - 08/21/12 at 06:06:18

Quote:
Bought a 2005 S40 about a month ago with ~4000 miles on it.  I'm now noticing that the bike jerks under acceleration.  Not sure how else to describe it other than uneven acceleration, even though I'm holding the throttle steady
----------------------------------------------------------------
Your going to have to make up your mind,.......
is it jerking under acceleration, (sp plug, dirty carb, restricted gas supply, etc)

or is it jerking under steady throttle at low speed,......and 1 click on the choke improves it 90% ??? (white spacer mod will fix it)

You can forget the "bad gas" garbage !! Todays gas keeps carbs spotless, and all our engines have never run better !!  

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #19 - 08/21/12 at 06:30:11

Well - a 20005 is 6 -7 years old, 4K mile is 600 per year unless it sat for a while.  You say the idle is good - did you set it by ear of measure the RPM's.?  Once you are sure the idle is in spec, then check the carb, with the previoiiusly mentioned sticky slide the logical culprit.  

Good luck with the hunt. Cheesy

IP Logged
denistheruski
YaBB Newbies

2005 Suzuki Savage

Austin, TX
Reply #20 - 08/21/12 at 14:58:14

Man I love the wealth of info at this forum.  Thanks for everyone's responses.

Dave, great call.  I'm in Austin, TX.  If there are any members in my area, it would be great to compare how my bike rides to someone else's.

Routy, I guess I was a little unclear.  I'm noticing this problem both during steady throttle and under acceleration but only at low speeds (under around 35 mph I'd say).  It seems to get a little better after I've ridden a good 20 minutes and at highway speeds.

Trippah, I set the idle by ear.  Is there an easy way to measure RPMs without special tools/instruments?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 08/21/12 at 21:13:14

Well - a 20005 is 6 -7 years old, 4K mile is 600 per year unless it sat for a while.

600 miles a year IS sitting a while..

Id pull the tube to the air filter( yea, need a truck to get it out) & watch the slide when I twisted on the part the cable goes to on the carb.
I think what youre describing sounds like a sticky slide.

Would it be okay to squirt some Berrymans in it( shut off, of course) & use a thin screwdriver to raise the slide & let it drop a few times? I cant see a reason not to,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #22 - 08/22/12 at 04:30:21

denistheruski wrote on 08/21/12 at 14:58:14:
Dave, great call.  I'm in Austin, TX.  If there are any members in my area, it would be great to compare how my bike rides to someone else's.

I'm in San Antonio, and I am out riding every weekend.  I could probably meet you half way Saturday or Sunday.  Driftwood, Dripping Springs, Wimberley. that general area.   I have another ride that I am suppose to lead, but those plans haven't gelled yet.  Let me know if you want to do something, and which day, and I will see if I can nudge the other ride to the other day.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
denistheruski
YaBB Newbies

2005 Suzuki Savage

Austin, TX
Reply #23 - 08/22/12 at 16:06:51

justin, I'm still getting used to the mechanical stuff.  What is the slide in the carb and what does it do?

youzguyz, I'm going to PM you in a minute.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #24 - 08/22/12 at 20:39:49

To accurately set the  idle you need a tachometer (inductive type) that reads the electrical impulses to your spark plug..either by wrapping a lead around the cable or a clip that clips onto the spark plug wire.  You are talking about 45 - 100 dollars depending on how fancy and if you want permantenly mounted and of course permanently working.  Some have added them I thin nk to their handlebar clusters..I''ll let the mechanics jump in because this has to be right before you start messing with the carb, Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 08/22/12 at 21:02:50

If I could remember the make of the carb, Id enter

( carb name) carburetor exploded view

The slide does what the butterfly does on a carb on a car, controls the airflow. Ours, tho, also raises & lowers the metering rod. The throttle cable doesnt lift the slide, tho, vacuum does. You know where it is, because I said how I would go about getting access to it,

Anyway, since it is Vac. operated, just a fingerprint on it will mess up how it works,

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #26 - 08/23/12 at 02:19:43

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/22/12 at 21:02:50:
If I could remember the make of the carb, Id enter

( carb name) carburetor exploded view

The slide does what the butterfly does on a carb on a car, controls the airflow. Ours, tho, also raises & lowers the metering rod. The throttle cable doesnt lift the slide, tho, vacuum does. You know where it is, because I said how I would go about getting access to it,

Anyway, since it is Vac. operated, just a fingerprint on it will mess up how it works,

It's #2 in this exploded view:
http://www.bikebandit.com/2005-suzuki-boulevard-s40-ls650/o/m147635#sch505570

The skinny round part at the bottom is metal, and is called "the slide".
Like JOG says, you will see it when you pull off the boot between the airbox and carb.  Can't miss it.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 06:19:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My Bike is a Jerk ... at Low Speeds

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.