Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
My Bike is a Jerk ... at Low Speeds (Read 397 times)
denistheruski
YaBB Newbies

2005 Suzuki Savage

Austin, TX
My Bike is a Jerk ... at Low Speeds
08/20/12 at 13:00:53

Bought a 2005 S40 about a month ago with ~4000 miles on it.  I'm now noticing that at low speeds (not necessarily low RPMs), the bike jerks under acceleration.  Not sure how else to describe it other than uneven acceleration, even though I'm holding the throttle steady.

I did the easy stuff: changed the oil and replaced the air filter.  That didn't help.  What should I try next?  Should I try a fuel additive to clean out the system?  Should I check the spark plug?  Could it be an issue with the carb?  Basically, what's my next move?

Not sure if this is related but my bike requires choke for about a minute upon startup, even with air temps at ~85 deg and higher.  Without the choke, the engine idles very low (I already adjusted the idle screw) and dies.

Any thoughts or points into some direction are greatly appreciated.

IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Re: My Bike is a Jerk ... at Low Speeds
Reply #1 - 08/20/12 at 13:06:34

stock muffler?  Huh

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 08/20/12 at 13:07:00

Put some Sea Foam in the gas it will clean the carb and lube the carb slide.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 08/20/12 at 13:07:10

sounds like a sticky slide

either disassemble and clean or add an ounce of seafoam per gal.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 08/20/12 at 13:09:17

I rode a stock unmolested bike when I was riding used ones looking for one to buy.  I noticed that this bike did not run real smooth at low throttle settings just off idle....the way you would ride down the street in your neighborhood when you want to be nice to the neighbors.  It rode much smoother under full throttle.

I believe the engine was running a bit lean and would have benefitted from a larger pilot jet and the modification to the slide to replace the white spacer with the three washers.

Go to the Technical Section, find the index, and look under Carb mods.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 08/20/12 at 13:09:46

If you want drop the float bowl and put a little Sea Foam in there it will work a little faster.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #6 - 08/20/12 at 13:25:26

Having read the MSDS list of ingredients in Seafoam, I believe it is a completely worthless product. The carburetor slide is lubricated by gasoline, which is itself a very light oil. And gasoline is at least as good a solvent as anything in Seafoam, particularly if the gasoline includes ethanol. However, if you'd feel better putting an additive in there, go for it. At the very least it will do no harm.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 08/20/12 at 13:27:28

Then just put some gasoline in your tank and your good to go.thanks charon I never would have thought of that.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #8 - 08/20/12 at 14:27:33

The thing about Seafoam and other gas additives is that you put small quantities (an ounce of Seafoam per gallon of gas, less than 1%, for instance) in a tank of fresh gas, then you run it. The fresh gas, with its Federally mandated detergent package, flushes out the system, and usually that is about all that is needed. The additive gets the credit, even though it basically does nothing. It is the placebo effect writ large.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
denistheruski
YaBB Newbies

2005 Suzuki Savage

Austin, TX
Reply #9 - 08/20/12 at 15:15:22

Thanks for the responses, everybody.  I'll try some SeaFoam and see if that helps.  I've thought about the carb mod but I'm a bit apprehensive since this is my first bike and I've never really worked on cars or anything.  Eventually, I'm sure I'll get there...

RanDaMan, it is a stock exhaust.  In face, the bike is 100% stock.

So no votes for bad spark plug?  Or is it possible that it's the petcock?

IP Logged
Jacob

2012 Suzuki S40 650

Ford City, PA
Reply #10 - 08/20/12 at 15:25:58

My throttle was really choppy when I bought my bike brand new a few months ago.. I believe it has to do with the carb.. I did the white spacer mod. I changed out the white spacer with the 3 small washers I got from the jet kit I ordered from LANCER... Right after that mod I could ride down town, 2nd gear 25mph and it was smooth!! No lagging and it wasn't choppy at all!! I also changed my muffler to a harley dyna muffler and got rid of that CANON they call stock muffler, re-jetted my carb with the jetset I got from LANCER and it runs and sounds amazing!!! I also changed my spark plug to a performance star plug. I hated this bike stock but after a few mods, I am really starting to love it!

(My opinion)

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #11 - 08/20/12 at 16:52:03

If the bike is jerking at a low speed try downshifting to a lower gear. Run a little more engine RPM and let the big single sing in it's torque range. If you are lugging the engine you are risking low oil pressure, it's not a Harley so twist that throttle.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #12 - 08/20/12 at 19:32:10

denistheruski wrote on 08/20/12 at 15:15:22:
...So no votes for bad spark plug?.....

Are you hearing any misfiring?

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #13 - 08/20/12 at 19:36:31

Ed L. wrote on 08/20/12 at 16:52:03:
If the bike is jerking at a low speed try downshifting to a lower gear. Run a little more engine RPM and let the big single sing in it's torque range. If you are lugging the engine you are risking low oil pressure, it's not a Harley so twist that throttle.

Agreed.....sounds like you may be lugging the engine. Downshift and keep her in the power band.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
denistheruski
YaBB Newbies

2005 Suzuki Savage

Austin, TX
Reply #14 - 08/20/12 at 20:43:32

Nope, not lugging.  I feel some jerkiness through most of the RPM range, even at mid to higher revs.  Could this be a hint: even when I'm sitting in neutral, a minute or so after start-up, if I rev it to mid-RPMs, it's very sluggish to respond.  After more warm-up time, it's better in neutral but I still feel this "sluggishness" or jerkiness when I'm in gear.

I searched for some youtube videos of misfiring to hear what it sounds like.  Correct me if I'm wrong but it should sound like out of synch popping?  Anyway, I don't think I'm hearing that on my bike but I'll listen closely on my ride tomorrow.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 06:18:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My Bike is a Jerk ... at Low Speeds

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.