Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Basic bobber update (Read 230 times)
ksthumper

Olathe, KS
Basic bobber update
08/19/12 at 17:46:50

Hey everyone, been a while since I've been on any posts. Figured I'd update for those that were still knocking around the idea of taking the plunge to convert to a bobber. Everything minus the drilling can be reverted to stock easily.

Rear fender: Northern tool specialty. I think it was 20 bucks. Mounted so that it clears the belt by and inch.
Solid struts were from a local metal shop, probably spent a whole five bucks in raw steel. Used a drill press for the holes. GO SLOW AND USE CUTTING OIL!!!

I wanted to go for the Indian style light but didn't want to shell out 100+ bucks for some fancy fangled get-up. So I made a bracket to relocate the headlight to the top of the triple tree.

Stock position that y'all are so fond of.

New and improved bobber version!

Added a simple 1" - 50 foot roll of header wrap, and I had plenty to spare!

Also ripped out the air box and make a faux oil can to stuff all the electrics until I can rewire this winter. I picked up a pair of turn signals from a harley deuce softail at a swap meet for 5 bucks that will be hooked up to the struts. I originally had drag bars on with the homemade extensions but threw in the stock buckthorns to get a feel for the height before buying a set of 12" apes.

The stock body pillow seat will be replaced with a bates style with 3" beehive springs since I'm storing fat for the winter.

And before y'all ask, I don't have a picture of the headlight mount I made yet, this was just a rough setup that'll work for now till I can get bolts that aren't 1/2" too long. I'll add those pics later Smiley

It's amazing what you can do on a budget with builds like these. I think I haven't even spent 100 dollars so far.

99 savage: k&n filter, .6 spacer mod, 152.5 main, stock pilot, open HD shorty "muffler" and currently working on bobbing.
  IP Logged
Gh0st
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Basic bobber update
Reply #1 - 08/19/12 at 19:16:21

(My first post)

And I gotta say that looks really good. Seems like you have a pretty good vision of what you want and you're going for it.

I thought about bobbing mine but I kinda like the idea of having a back seat. Im gonna re-do quite a few things on it though. Already got a new muffler and handlebars. Wanna get some new tail and brake lights.

Question for ya: Did you make that side mount license plate holder, or where did you get it? I wanna relocate my plate to the side so I can move my brake light down.

IP Logged
ksthumper

Olathe, KS
Reply #2 - 08/19/12 at 22:01:18

First thing is to check your state highway patrol website and see what orientation is legal in your state (vertical vs horizontal).

Then get a plain Jane one from eBay 20-30 bucks. Some come with a light, some just have the mounting holes. I bought a trailer DOT brake light at tractor supply years ago and never had a use for it till now. Just make sure you have a white light on it or you'll be like me last month with my sportster, ticket for no plate visibility.

99 savage: k&n filter, .6 spacer mod, 152.5 main, stock pilot, open HD shorty "muffler" and currently working on bobbing.
  IP Logged
Firetox
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Chantilly VA
Reply #3 - 08/20/12 at 12:50:42

ok i got questions ....

so there is no suspention in the back correct?

what is that canister in the airbox location?

sorry im sorta new lol

IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #4 - 08/20/12 at 13:19:13

Firetox wrote on 08/20/12 at 12:50:42:
ok i got questions ....

so there is no suspention in the back correct?

what is that canister in the airbox location?

sorry im sorta new lol

right he replaced the springs with a solid piece of flat bar, if he didnt put springs under his seat then there is no suspension in the back.

the canister is a fake oil tank probably stuffed with all the extra electrical components.

IP Logged
hotrodbobber

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/20/12 at 14:24:33

hi there, i like your style, just in the same stage as you and thinking about the headlamp, i think ill try your idea with a bullet type lamp, nice build Smiley

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #6 - 08/20/12 at 15:05:24

Lookin' good! I am really diggin' the headlight up there. I need to figure out how to do that myself!

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
ksthumper

Olathe, KS
Reply #7 - 08/20/12 at 18:03:45

I had to do a few reversions of the headlight, I've actually got it mounted from the underside of the tripletree and secured it with a metal plate and shims. I'll have to make a CNC version so it eliminates vibration which will be inevitable.

IP Logged
mel.aggy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/14/12 at 19:59:31

if you dont mind me asking what fender did you buy on northern tools. I really like the way yours came out and i'm trying to finally get mine started. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 02:25:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Basic bobber update

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.