Send Topic Print
Front foot pegs (Read 398 times)
sytvngale
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Front foot pegs
08/18/12 at 11:44:45

I need a new front peg on the left side.  I am having trouble finding one.  Has anyone tried a Harley peg, or aftermarket pegs?  Any help would be appreciated.

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Re: Front foot pegs
Reply #1 - 08/18/12 at 19:23:22

Yep! Several folks here have used HD and aftermarket peg and footboards. There is some minor grinding/shaping/drilling work required as well as some hardware changes but nothing you can't do on a rainy afternoon!

Use the search function and check out how they did the swap.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
sytvngale
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/18/12 at 21:19:04

Thanks Zar
Didn't find much specific info on switching the footpegs, but I found some links that were helpful.

IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #3 - 08/19/12 at 03:10:10

sytvngale, what size you are interested in? I just have aftermarket footpegs and I can measure it....

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #4 - 08/19/12 at 07:35:31

I picked up a set of take offs from my local HD custom shop for $10, drilled the hole to 7/16", added a washer to each side and installed them. I really like them and you can't beat the price.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
sytvngale
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/19/12 at 10:58:51

Yeah, those pegs look great.  I think it looks like any male Harley peg can be adapted.  That leaves a lot of style choices and great pricing, especially for take-offs.  Thanks!

IP Logged
Gh0st
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/19/12 at 19:21:23

Thats good to know. Do you guys just go to the HD dealership and ask for take-offs??

Theres a Harley dealer about 8 miles from my house, and it sounds like I need to make a stop up there.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 08/19/12 at 22:51:09

Ive heard some of them dont really want to sell to Jap bike owners,, so, you mite be ahead to not advertise what you want them for,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #8 - 08/20/12 at 05:02:52

I go to the independent garage/chopper/bobber builders. I am very lucky to have a few relatively local.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
highlander10
YaBB Newbies

Keep Walking

Groningen, Netherlands
Reply #9 - 02/05/13 at 11:21:46

Hi savages,

since i do not have a harley shop around, can I find a cheap pair of chrome front foot pegs on ebay?
What should I be aware of when checking the dimensions.

Greetz from the Netherlands

IP Logged
elitemunkeycrew

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sierra Vista, Az
Reply #10 - 02/07/13 at 08:00:50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JSadcGEu2c

These are mine fast forward to 3:22

IP Logged
Dooley
YaBB Newbies

Palm Harbor, FL
Reply #11 - 02/07/13 at 12:39:41

I did this not to long ago and it seems to be fine. If you are cheap like me you will not have to buy anything other then the pegs you want. I got lucky and found a set of new Harley pegs at a local shop on consignment for only $20.

Many have said on other threads that to avoid having to drill out the peg hole. You can go to the hardware store and get a smaller bolt and brass piece to fit the peg and attack it to the bike. Well I am cheap so I drilled. Smiley

If you look at the parts list on page 24 I think. You will see that the stock peg is made of many different parts. Why I dont know seems silly to me. But If you do not care about your stock pegs you can use some part from the stock peg to help mount the new peg.

First I drill out the peg hold to fit the hex bolt. I would advice to go a little bigger then needed if you do what I did or something similar as it makes it easier to mount the peg.

Then I took  part #11 and #12 off the stock peg and ground off the tabs. I then took those parts and ground out the hole a bit so they would slip onto the new peg. You will see as you do this how it should line up and be put on the peg. This is going to be used as a washer of sorts to prevent the peg from dropping and and to keep it tight.

Like I said before drill the hole slightly bigger the the bolt itself because I found that if it is exact it is almost impossible to get the bolt in with the washer in place.  

I have only had them on for about a week but the washer seems to be able to hold my weight fine. I am about 205lb right now.

Hope this help.

Bike_peg.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 09:26:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front foot pegs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.