rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Re: Strange Behavior
Reply #15 - 08/18/12 at 20:29:51

ralfyguy wrote on 08/18/12 at 20:15:06:
Thanks for the input guys. I'll try the battery connection test tomorrow, just hate to have to pull the dam' tank. I had this before a few times over the years and it went away again on it's own. This time it's persistent. I also noticed it only happened in summer. Mebbe it's just stuck.
Oh BTW, for the controller getting wet, I wouldn't know when, because my bike never gets wet, no riding in the rain, no parking in the rain. If it was wet, I wouldn't know from what. I'll check anyway, if the battery direct connection test fails. I should be able to test the controller if it puts out any voltage when pushing the starter button right?

It can get moisture just from humidity outta the air,  the glue seal they put on it does nothing at all I found out.  Wasn't even a residue of the glue on the outer part of the casing when I took mine apart.

If you can reach the controller with a screwdriver or socket extension you might be able to tap it a few time to see if the relay inside of it for the decomp solenoid is just sticking.  

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #16 - 08/18/12 at 20:32:50

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/18/12 at 20:23:46:
Its a dang short burst,, youll need a digital meter. Heck, a test lite mite be better.

I got a digital meter, but no test light. If nothing else you can use an old speaker. I have several laying around. You could just watch the membrane move, or even better, wire it to the horn!

My digital meter has a built in auto hold to capture spikes. That might work too.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 08/18/12 at 20:41:18

or even better, wire it to the horn!

That right there sounds like a pretty danged good answer..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 08/19/12 at 05:02:34

[quote author=30243570727271420 link=1345309316/15#15 date=1345346991]ralfyguy wrote on 08/18/12 at 20:15:06:
It can get moisture just from humidity outta the air,  the glue seal they put on it does nothing at all I found out.  Wasn't even a residue of the glue on the outer part of the casing when I took mine apart.
R.F.

Should those of us that have working ones consider doing some kind of sealing of the joint next time we have the tank off?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #19 - 08/19/12 at 07:49:47

rfw2003 wrote on 08/18/12 at 20:29:51:
Thanks for the input guys. I'll try the battery connection test tomorrow, just hate to have to pull the dam' tank. I had this before a few times over the years and it went away again on it's own. This time it's persistent. I also noticed it only happened in summer. Mebbe it's just stuck.
Oh BTW, for the controller getting wet, I wouldn't know when, because my bike never gets wet, no riding in the rain, no parking in the rain. If it was wet, I wouldn't know from what. I'll check anyway, if the battery direct connection test fails. I should be able to test the controller if it puts out any voltage when pushing the starter button right?

If you can reach the controller with a screwdriver or socket extension you might be able to tap it a few time to see if the relay inside of it for the decomp solenoid is just sticking.  

R.F.

Actually if you look a little closer, that rubber cap has a little lip inside and the brass bushing the shaft runs in has a little groove on the circumference so it snaps into place.
I tried tapping it with a hammer, but nothing. I put a little LPS1 on it, the stuff I clean my guns with, still nothing. I'm gonna yank the tank and go from there.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #20 - 08/19/12 at 10:00:49

Solenoid is sticking at times. Controller puts out 11.7 volts. I pulled on the cable that goes in the back and managed to get it working about 10 times in a row, then it quit again. Can't unhinged the stinking cable from the decomp lever. Got the lock nuts off, but still won't come out. Got it on TDC, but lever won't you up far enough to unhinge the cable.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 08/19/12 at 10:09:08

Take the solenoid mount bracket off the frame & release all tension?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #22 - 08/19/12 at 10:25:54

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/19/12 at 10:09:08:

That did the trick. THANKS!

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #23 - 08/19/12 at 10:27:59

Got the piece off and apart and cleaned everything. Now just laying it there and pushing the starter button makes it clack nice an neat. I lubed the cable a little too, put a little lube on the shaft and bushing. I'm gonna put it all back together now.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #24 - 08/19/12 at 10:28:27

[quote author=4E75786F7E72696F747C716E1D0 link=1345309316/15#18 date=1345377754]rfw2003 wrote on 08/18/12 at 20:29:51:
R.F.

Should those of us that have working ones consider doing some kind of sealing of the joint next time we have the tank off?

It couldn't hurt.  You would also want to use some dielectric grease on the plug because those terminals aren't sealed in there either, so that is another entrance point for moisture.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 08/19/12 at 10:39:57

ralfyguy wrote on 08/19/12 at 10:25:54:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/19/12 at 10:09:08:

That did the trick. THANKS!

Wheres that emoticon of a guy buffin his nails on his shirt?
Glad I could help.

If its like that goin together,, I think thats a problem,,ask some of the "Knows how to adjust the thing:" guys..

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #26 - 08/19/12 at 10:49:47

I unhinged the cable and immediately put the one lock nut against the other. So when I put it back together, there shouldn't be any adjustment.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #27 - 08/19/12 at 11:04:56

Point IM tryin to make is, I dont think that cable is supposed to be tight.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #28 - 08/19/12 at 13:52:18

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/19/12 at 11:04:56:
Point IM tryin to make is, I dont think that cable is supposed to be tight.

Got it back together. But battery was too weak to start. So i put it in first and push started it and putted along right away. I tried in second, but it works better in first. So far the solenoid is still banging. What it was is it was a little dirty, but more importantly after it gets actuated, and then releases, the round plate rests against the frame and in my case every now and then kinda gets jammed a little crooked when slapping against the frame. That gets it stuck and then it won't move.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #29 - 08/19/12 at 14:48:25

That gets it stuck and then it won't move.

Hmmm,, wont move Ehhh? Well,, that certainly Sounds like a workable definition of STUKKK...

I know Ive lost things & couldnt find them,,

I miss my mind most of all,,

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 09:23:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Strange Behavior

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.