Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Strange Behavior (Read 273 times)
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Strange Behavior
08/18/12 at 10:01:56

Since a few days whenever I start the bike, it doesn't crank for a few revolutions like usual. It just starts the instant I push the starter button.
What could that be?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Strange Behavior
Reply #1 - 08/18/12 at 10:05:33

... a good thing?... Smiley...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 08/18/12 at 11:24:10

Strange Behavior???.....I thought you were talking about me for a moment!

Weather change?  Maybe a switch to cooler weather is not evaporating fuel out of the float bowl as fast.  If you still have the stock petcock, it might take a revolution or two of the engine to get evaporated fuel back into the float bowl....while cooler weather may let the fuel stay in the float bowl longer.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 08/18/12 at 12:25:42

Well I would call it strange, because it's like a light switch. The cylinder is firing the instant you push the button. I can't even hear the decompression solenoid banging. Could that be the problem?
I mean the bike starts effortless, still is odd or not?
I don't know how to describe it...It don't seem to even crank, or what you would call cranking. Like you had push started it and would fire on the first try.

IP Logged
SaVaGeEaRL

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgetown, KY
Reply #4 - 08/18/12 at 14:39:53

I know exactly what you're talking about, because mine started to do the exact same thing. I have no idea why, and it's been running the same otherwise as before for 2 months now

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 08/18/12 at 15:36:27

SaVaGeEaRL wrote on 08/18/12 at 14:39:53:
I know exactly what you're talking about, because mine started to do the exact same thing. I have no idea why, and it's been running the same otherwise as before for 2 months now

It has done that a few times before over the years, but only briefly for a few starts and ONLY after I had been on the road for a longer trip with hotter temperatures, and stopped for gas and a drink. It always went away. But this time it started doing it out of the blue in the morning when the bike was stone cold and the temperature was 61 degrees. At first I thought: "awww, that shite again", but this time it kept doing it, and it's doing it now since two weeks straight.
Like you said, it"s running normal other than that, I'm just one of those inquiring minds that wants to know why, and wonders if still something is about to break or is already.

The only thing neat about it is, that it reduces cranking time down to nothing and gives you the impression that this ought to be easy on the battery as well.

Did you check your decomp solenoid?

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 08/18/12 at 18:17:57

I suppose I found what it is: The decomp thingie isn't clacking anymore. The reason it fires up instantly is that it has instant compression and the battery and starter are strong enough to turn over the motor. I'm gonna yank the tank tomorrow and see why it isn't working.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 08/18/12 at 19:40:14

I just checked and the solenoid isn't moving. Now what?

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #8 - 08/18/12 at 19:46:02

ralfyguy wrote on 08/18/12 at 19:40:14:

Check with rfw2003 on that. He took the controller off and apart and found mucho green crud(moisture damage) in his. That caused the malfunction. He is working on making a new and  better controller for the de-comp solenoid.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #9 - 08/18/12 at 19:49:55

ZAR wrote on 08/18/12 at 19:46:02:

Check with rfw2003 on that. He took the controller off and apart and found mucho green crud(moisture damage) in his. That caused the malfunction. He is working on making a new and  better controller for the de-comp solenoid.

Mabe it's just stuck. Who knows...gonna yank the tank tomorrow and see what's up.

IP Logged
SaVaGeEaRL

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgetown, KY
Reply #10 - 08/18/12 at 19:51:21

Run a test wire from the battery to the solenoid and see if it works. Mine does, but it doesn't when starting normally. And my bike will also on occasion not start at all unless I use the starter button I have wired in due to the faulty solenoid controller I have and can't get myself to pay 70 bucks for. Now you mention it though, I do believe that my instant start came about the same time as my controller died.

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #11 - 08/18/12 at 19:52:36

ralfyguy wrote on 08/18/12 at 19:49:55:
ZAR wrote on 08/18/12 at 19:46:02:

Mabe it's just stuck. Who knows...gonna yank the tank tomorrow and see what's up.

Ralf the controller is not waterproofed and where it sits under the tank it's a pure "water magnet" Riding in the rain or washing will certainly get it wet...and it' does not dry out easily. Won't hurt to check.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #12 - 08/18/12 at 19:57:19

That does sound like decomp controller issues.  The controller has a very short time delay in it to fire the decomp solenoid right before the starter.  If you test your solenoid directly and it works when you apply the 12v to it, then it's most likely the controller.  It's supposed to be sealed but in reality they didn't do a very good job of it, so water does get in at times and can cause the controller to fail in various ways.  At least yours so far just failed in a way it's no longer doing the decomp solenoid and not causing a "Spooky Zuki" effect Smiley

As to the remark from Zar,  Yes I'm in the process of designing and will then build a much better replacement for that over priced POS

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #13 - 08/18/12 at 20:15:06

Thanks for the input guys. I'll try the battery connection test tomorrow, just hate to have to pull the dam' tank. I had this before a few times over the years and it went away again on it's own. This time it's persistent. I also noticed it only happened in summer. Mebbe it's just stuck.
Oh BTW, for the controller getting wet, I wouldn't know when, because my bike never gets wet, no riding in the rain, no parking in the rain. If it was wet, I wouldn't know from what. I'll check anyway, if the battery direct connection test fails. I should be able to test the controller if it puts out any voltage when pushing the starter button right?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 08/18/12 at 20:23:46

Its a dang short burst,, youll need a digital meter. Heck, a test lite mite be better.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/08/24 at 10:58:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Strange Behavior

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.