Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: guns
Reply #75 - 09/19/12 at 06:13:50

Is this what is called "hijacking the thread?"

If so, let me return to the title issue.  The RIB has done more for the gun industry than any pres in modern times.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #76 - 09/19/12 at 10:18:55

Bear with me, I can be long winded.

It is difficult for non-gun owners to believe any justification for owning a gun or situation where it could actually be useful. Gun owners can be just as bad, saying how in this situation or that they would have done X and saved the day with their gun. Truth is, no one can know how a situation will play out until it has happened.

I own a gun, maybe I shouldn't admit that on the internet. I rarely carry because it is something else to fumble with, many places don't allow it including my job, and you're all of a sudden a threat to most cops if you ever have to deal with the law even in a pedestrian manner. Its fun to shoot and a great piece of mechanics, but I never plan to draw it on anyone ever.

With that being said, I recently had a confrontation while driving. This kid flies around me doing 50 in a 25, school zone, double yellow, dark, only to pull into the same complex as me 50 ft up the road and stop. I gave him the customary honk&holler as I passed, but he tries to pull out into me, flies up beside me, gets out and starts yelling and threatening. Kid must be 17 or 18, showing off for his skinny friend and fat girlfriend, but he comes up to my window and wants me to fight. I told him several times he was in the wrong and to just go away (I had my girl in the car with me). I did not have my gun on me, nor would I ever have wanted to even produce it in this situation. I didn't want to provoke him, and I would be a real ass to put a gun on some mouthy punk. I did, however, have a firm grip on a 7in, double edged and razor sharp dagger that I just so happen to keep in the side compartment of my door. He never saw it, but if he wanted to reach into my car and grab me, he would have certainly felt my hand around his wrist and that steel pressed firmly against his inner arm. But he didn't; he left on his own, doing a pathetic attempt at a burn out in his front wheel drive toyota, and no blood was shed.

Moral of the story is: situational awareness, avoid violence and bloodshed, keep your temper and ego in check, have the upper hand, but you don't need to start waving a weapon around to make it known. Pepper spray is the best option, I know I would have gotten a lot of satisfaction out of macing that punk.

I always have a pocket knife and have had a few confiscated going through security. I also keep a 3-4 decorative metal sheath knife on the side of the Savage's battery box, within easy reach.

The Boy Scout motto is Be Prepared.

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #77 - 09/19/12 at 10:47:09

One of the first things taught in any defensive firearms course is to avoid a gunfight as the first course of action.  Pull the gun as a last resort.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #78 - 09/19/12 at 16:46:12

I used to carry a rusted up wire brush in my car. I figured that if some jerk tried to pick a fight with me by reaching through the window I would just give him a whack on whatever skin was showing. It wouldn't damage him too much but it would really hurt. Pain is a great deterant. I've a real sharp beat up hunting knife in the car now.
 Knew a girl who bit a chunk out of a purse snatcher's arm when he reached into the front seat of her car going after her pocket book. It's not what you carry, it is how you use it. Wink

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #79 - 09/20/12 at 09:35:56

I have held a wire brush in my hand once, when I was in an uncomfortable spot. Ive accidently hit myself with them on more than one occasion & it always hurts. Even a sleeve on an arm wont keep it from hurting, & theres no law against having one,,
They make a great defensive weapon, as does a tennis racket, which is not
considered a deadly weapon ( last I checked). A knife can get a guy in trouble, depending on length. Know your laws,
I am fond of stun guns & pepper sprays.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #80 - 09/20/12 at 17:48:26

A sharp pencil is quite effective at close range and can be deadly if needed

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #81 - 09/20/12 at 18:02:01

I never thought of a wire brush,... that's bloody wicked... (literally)... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #82 - 09/21/12 at 05:24:50

LANCER wrote on 09/20/12 at 17:48:26:

When I was about 12, I stuck a wooden pencil into my brother's thigh, and broke it off.  It didn't slow him down much.  We ended up that fight with baseball bats.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #83 - 09/21/12 at 06:14:41

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/20/12 at 09:35:56:
I have held a wire brush in my hand once, when I was in an uncomfortable spot. Ive accidently hit myself with them on more than one occasion & it always hurts. Even a sleeve on an arm wont keep it from hurting, & theres no law against having one,,
They make a great defensive weapon, as does a tennis racket, which is not
considered a deadly weapon ( last I checked). A knife can get a guy in trouble, depending on length. Know your laws,
I am fond of stun guns & pepper sprays.

We had some teen thugs hanging around in our complex a while ago. I carried a 6 cell Maglight. The police told me it wasn't a weapon as long as it was on (being used as a flashlight).

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #84 - 09/21/12 at 06:16:34

Gyrobob wrote on 09/21/12 at 05:24:50:
LANCER wrote on 09/20/12 at 17:48:26:

When I was about 12, I stuck a wooden pencil into my brother's thigh, and broke it off.  It didn't slow him down much.  We ended up that fight with baseball bats.

I teach school in detention centers from time to time. We count the pencils at the end of the class, and none are more than 3" long.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #85 - 09/21/12 at 06:24:07

I had a horrific experience in Jr. High with a pencil,  a crazy chick who liked me found out that I liked another girl.  Well she was REALLY CRAZY!  She took a pencil and attacked me with it, at the end it wound up almost three inches into my nostril    Undecided       Needless to say I learned my lesson, from then on I dated the crazy chicks    Cheesy

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #86 - 09/21/12 at 13:17:48

I still have the tip of a pencil lodged in the back of my hand.

I really do like the wire brush idea, especially a rusty one. Not as elegant hanging off the side of my bike though.

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #87 - 09/21/12 at 14:30:46

Gibbs' Rule #9: Never go anywhere without a knife.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #88 - 09/21/12 at 15:50:22

I like the buck engraved in it.

--Steve

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print