Send Topic Print
too much air? (Read 322 times)
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: too much air?
Reply #15 - 08/16/12 at 09:11:16

I know you can find more info about it on the VOODOO VINTAGE site somewhere, but here's a picture of a Savage they did from their Facebook page. They used a "T" fitting on the carb with dual VW air filter intakes. I'm pretty sure I read something on their blog about it a while ago, but it's an older bike of theirs, so you may have to dig back through their archives.

All the same, I thought it looked really cool, and it was cheap and simple to do. PVC plumbing connections for the "T", and the VW filters are easy to come by....

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150344883415001&set=a.428621310000.3...

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #16 - 08/16/12 at 10:10:46

Don't forget to think about rain (if you ride in rain). If your filter is out where it could get wet (and trust me, a cone filter will get wet under the seat) it will suck in water. Little bits of water aren't horrible, they'll throw off your jetting for that ride but they'll get burned off in the engine making it inefficient but nothing too bad.

Unless you're like me and ride through a massive rainstorm into a puddle you thought was shallow but was really >6" deep. The combination of submerged tailpipe and massive influx of water into the carb killed my bike. Took a whole lot of starter fluid and new oil to get her going again.

As for smoothing out the air flow into the carb you can do a few things. One is a sufficiently long tube. Others are all ways of stabilizing or manipulating the air flow to be more fluid (for lack of a better word). There is something called a turbulator that fits between your engine and your carb (wrong side, i know, but this is just for show and tell) that adds a spin to the air to make it flow better. There are also "carb wings" which force the air to flow straight, and I *think* there was a post on here a while back about using straws (drinking straws!) in a honeycomb-like structure to accomplish the same thing.

Unfortunately I don't know if any (or all) of those intake addons have sound theory behind them, but if you've got an interest you can look them up. Might be snake oil, might be good improvements. who knows.

PVC is a great and cheap way of making intake "plumbing." cheap, air tight, comes in a number of fittings, has rubber counterparts that seal well, etc.

Keep in mind the goal of an air intake system is to provide a constant, consistent, smooth flow of air to your carb/engine. This means you don't want to have it affected by how you are moving. RAM air is great if you run at the same speed all the time, but we don't, and you don't want to be taking air from too close to your engine because as you sit that air will be hotter throwing off your jetting.

Lots of stuff to consider. Let us know what you end up doing or finding out.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #17 - 08/16/12 at 10:31:18

Links to some older threads about air-stabilization:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1267137782/5#5
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1265165841/0#0
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1243199945/45
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1237731838/0
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1236788683/66#66

A lot to read, but there is some good info in there. To sum it up, a few people did the straws/honeycomb arrangement with good results.

Some design keys for the honeycomb extracted from those threads (read them carefully yourself, I only glanced over them):
- straw length should be six times its diameter
- straws should have as thin walls as possible to not restrict air flow
- for the stock carb, use about the stock length and diameter of the existing intake tube
- try to keep the filter element away from the frame (helps with high-speed)
- be careful not to allow a loose straw to find its way into your engine....

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #18 - 08/16/12 at 14:39:50

I would be careful using PVC. To turn my carb out 90 degrees I used a PVC 90 and it actually melted coming out of the manifold. If you do use PVC, I'd recommend schedule 80 CPVC. Eventually, I just had my brother fab something out of steel.

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #19 - 08/16/12 at 16:04:25

RanDaMan wrote on 08/16/12 at 04:40:23:
Thank you EVERYONE for you responses, but yesterday when i was riding around I FRIED out my brand new 150$ lithium battery!  Angry  EEFFFFIIINNNNN AAAAAA

How do you do theese thing ?? Shocked

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #20 - 08/20/12 at 05:48:05

Routy wrote on 08/16/12 at 16:04:25:
RanDaMan wrote on 08/16/12 at 04:40:23:
Thank you EVERYONE for you responses, but yesterday when i was riding around I FRIED out my brand new 150$ lithium battery!  Angry  EEFFFFIIINNNNN AAAAAA

How do you do theese thing ?? Shocked

I mounted the battery on the shelf underneath i think its for california models. but anyways the battery slid out enough and some how the positive terminal shorted out against my swing arm! i though i had fried my electrical system on the bike but thank god thats not the case! anyways i got ahold of the ballistic customer service and they were AWESOME ive got a new battery on its i way for FREE.99  Wink  Ill be more carefull on the installation this time around and secure it with more then a couple zipties!  Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 08/20/12 at 06:50:41

You can also do some general intake design theory hunting online,

I modified my airbox to be a larger volume between filter element & carb.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #22 - 08/20/12 at 08:16:28

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/20/12 at 06:50:41:
You can also do some general intake design theory hunting online,

I modified my airbox to be a larger volume between filter element & carb.

I'll check google right now about desgins and such!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 06:24:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › too much air?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.