Send Topic Print
too much air? (Read 322 times)
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
too much air?
08/15/12 at 12:48:13

I read a really old post on page 300 something. A guy had asked if you can have too much air entering the carb or if it will only take what it needs?

his question wasnt really answered so im here to ask it again.

i have a lot of space now that i removed my air box and original battery so i want to get a HUGE air filter that sits in the middle of all that space but i dont know if this new air filter will hurt anything by letting WAY to much air in?

can any one help me here?

IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Re: too much air?
Reply #1 - 08/15/12 at 12:56:54

A high flow air filter can throw off your air fuel mixture and might cause you to have to re-jet.

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #2 - 08/15/12 at 13:05:06

I have a K&N high flo cone air filter at the moment and i did re-jet the carb to suit. but i want to get a massive highflow filter like made for a car for aesthetic purposes. A big Lung for my big single big lung  Grin    i just dont know if that will allow WAY too much air in to the carb and wreck anything internally by doing so. or if the carb will only take in as much air as it needs.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 08/15/12 at 13:32:11

Ever run it without any air filter at all? Did it seem to run OK? You can't get any less restrictive than nothing at all in front of the carburetor. Run as big a filter as you can make fit, and it still won't flow more air than no filter at all.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 08/15/12 at 13:39:58

The engine will take in as much air as it possibly can ! And it will take in the necessary fuel along w/ it,....despite what you have been led to believe.
I never seen an engine yet that didn't perform noticeably better w/ no air cleaner whatsoever.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #5 - 08/15/12 at 13:48:46

Given a Filter with the same media types, about the only thing that using a physically larger filter will do, is prolong the time between needed cleanings.  The larger filter is just giving you more capacity for filtration is all.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 08/15/12 at 15:15:07

Just throwing on the biggest air filter you can find won't give you the best results even if you rejet.

You need to tune the intake to your needs.
at a minimum, the intake length needs to be at least as long as the rubber ducky on the carb.  Any shorter you'll have inefficiencies that'll affect performance.

Most of the cone filter installs have these inefficiencies and can inprove their performance with a velocity cone between the carb and filter.

WWW   IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #7 - 08/15/12 at 15:27:27

verslagen1 wrote on 08/15/12 at 15:15:07:
Just throwing on the biggest air filter you can find won't give you the best results even if you rejet.

You need to tune the intake to your needs.
at a minimum, the intake length needs to be at least as long as the rubber ducky on the carb.  Any shorter you'll have inefficiencies that'll affect performance.

Most of the cone filter installs have these inefficiencies and can inprove their performance with a velocity cone between the carb and filter.

I'm not used to using velocity stack type things, as it's been along time for me since messing with high performance carb'd engines.  Would it matter if I was to use a 90 degree type one to put the air filter to the side kinda like most V-twins do?   I plan on getting rid of the stock air box and battery box, and building my own compartment to fill in the space to mount some of the electronics and battery, so the 90 degree elbow off the carb with the filter on the end would look pretty good to me.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 08/15/12 at 15:45:39

I have a K/N slip-in, and a Shorty muffler,.. with rejet... runs great, but ran like cr@p when I pulled the airbox side cover...
So,.. you can have too much of a good thing... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #9 - 08/15/12 at 15:51:01

verslagen1 wrote on 08/15/12 at 15:15:07:

Could you explain what you mean by this?

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/15/12 at 15:57:54

Remember too, that it will take more or less air depending on your exhaust. If you add a DYNA, or other more free-flowing exhaust, your carb will pull more air. But bigger isn't always better. I imagine that there's a proper sized filter for how your bike is set up, and that anything else that's larger would either be unnecessary, or just purely decorative.

I did see a guy post pictures of his bike a while back, and he had mounted a huge car-style air filter onto his carb; it was angled out 90 degrees to the side, as you described. I remember him saying that he had a terrible time getting the jetting right on the carb with that filter. not sure what ever came of it, but I know he was working with Lancer to get it sorted out.

Lancer has always been great about responding to my messages, and he knows his stuff for sure. If you really want the Correct air filter for your bike; ask him...

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #11 - 08/15/12 at 16:02:06

I would just do it. The worst thing that can happen is it sux and you take it off. Experience is the best teacher. I have asked many questions here and still went against some advice. Some things worked out, others didn't. Definitely go all Nike on it!

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #12 - 08/15/12 at 17:07:40

It's got nothing to do with matching the intake-boot length, it just has to do with the super-short distance between the mouth of the air-filter and the mouth of the carb. The turbulence doesn't have time to smooth out before it enters the carb. A velocity stack or "trumpet" will cure this.

IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #13 - 08/16/12 at 04:40:23

Thank you EVERYONE for you responses, this air filter will be mostly for decrotive purposes. but yeah I didnt even think that if you can run with no filter you should be able to run any over sized filter. my plan is to get some pipe at a 45 degree and come back a little more with it. Ill post pics on what ive done to the bike soon enough i just got her all back together. but yesterday when i was riding around I FRIED out my brand new 150$ lithium battery!  Angry  EEFFFFIIINNNNN AAAAAA

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #14 - 08/16/12 at 07:09:20

Cavi Mike wrote on 08/15/12 at 17:07:40:
It's got nothing to do with matching the intake-boot length, it just has to do with the super-short distance between the mouth of the air-filter and the mouth of the carb. The turbulence doesn't have time to smooth out before it enters the carb. A velocity stack or "trumpet" will cure this.

Exactly right. Turbulent air doesn flow freely at all,....can be the same as choking it. No such thing as too much air, or too big an aircleaner !! Ram air induction is even better yet. Anytime you have to rejet, its because you had turbulent air, either before or after the air intake mod.
In some cases you may have even created a vacuum on the intake area, completely defeating the purpose. This is why the OEM air intake components are hard to beat. You think there ain't no engineering into the intake system for free flowing....non turbulent air,....think again.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 06:26:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › too much air?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.