Send Topic Print
tires (Read 199 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
tires
08/14/12 at 13:02:32

i got 5k miles on oem tires . They still look ok ,how can you tell when you need new ones?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: tires
Reply #1 - 08/14/12 at 14:33:39

You need new ones when the tread is gone....and the air is showing through! Grin

Tires become less safe in the wet as the tread depth decreases and the tires become smooth.
Tires can become hard and brittle from age and weathering - look for cracks in the rubber between the treads and on the sidewalls.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #2 - 08/14/12 at 14:41:26

On motorcycles I don't mess around with tires, there are only 2.  Once I start noticing cracks on the sidewalls I replace them regardless of what the tread depth reaming is.  I'd rather be out a few bucks then have a blowout on my bike at hwy speeds, or worse yet in a corner where I'm kinda pushing it already.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #3 - 08/14/12 at 14:43:23

rl153 wrote on 08/14/12 at 13:02:32:
i got 5k miles on oem tires . They still look ok ,how can you tell when you need new ones?

From my initial experience with the Stock IRC tires, the day you buy the bike is the day to replace those.  Grin

They don't feel nearly as stable as my Route 66 tires do that I have on the bike now.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 08/14/12 at 15:29:45

+1 I didn't realize how bad the IRC were till I replaced them with Route 66,I just thought it was the way the bike was.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #5 - 08/14/12 at 15:31:19

rl153 wrote on 08/14/12 at 13:02:32:

You're lucky. I got 3500 before they started cracking.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #6 - 08/14/12 at 17:59:27

Do you have to adjust the shocks or anything for route 66 ? How about metzlers or Dunlaps?

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #7 - 08/14/12 at 18:10:01

with the Route 66 rear tire since it only comes in the 140/90-15 you will need to replace one bolt with a button head style bolt, or do some grinding on the one that is there.   It is on the left side of the fender and the front bolt that holds the stock saddle bag bracket.  

Also this tire makes the speedo read more correctly then the stock sized tire does.

I think I might even have one of the replacement bolts ya need laying around here, you could have.

R.F.

IP Logged
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/14/12 at 20:40:50

Ya need tires you can have the ones I'm taking off. Kenda Challenger, 100/90 front, 140/90 rear. Minimum tread depth on front is 3mm, rear 4mm. I don't know if that's worn out or still good.

Free to a good home. You pick up.

John in Kalifornia

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #9 - 08/15/12 at 10:49:49

Thanks for the offer ,but I'm in CT .I would get new ones. With Metzler tires,do you have to adjust anything or do they fit the same as oem.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 08/15/12 at 10:59:46

Don't forget to enter your new tire into the Tire Brand / Mileage Comparison that we keep here on the list.  

Opinions are nice, but Data Counts for so much more.

=======================================

How to get into the spreadsheet to register your tire or to punch in your new mileage and new depth of thread .....

Go to Dropbox.com           https://www.dropbox.com/

Click on sign in: in the top right corner.

We have a shared generic Drop Box account called:  

suzukisavage@mail.com

with password:       s40boulevard

Now you click on the Public Folder when Drop Box opens up.   This will open the folder with all the shared stuff in it.  

You are looking for the Low Cost Mileage Contest.xls

Wink

Don't forget to save the spreadsheet once you are finished punching in your stuff.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #11 - 08/15/12 at 11:05:59

I got 14K out of my IRCs.  The rear was down to the wear bars and the front was weather checking bad.  I did Dunlop D404s and the handling is definitely better when the road surface is questionable.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
TROX

More ideas than $$$

Temple, TX
Reply #12 - 08/15/12 at 11:48:49

Has anyone ran a 110/90 front tire ?  I removed my front fender, so I think it should fit just fine.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 08/15/12 at 12:49:56

Steering seems to be mildly "slowed" with a wider front tire.  Nothing you don't get used to within a week or so .... becomes invisible after that.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
markbacon
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

New Zealand
Reply #14 - 08/15/12 at 23:42:07

Are Continental Milestones not sold in the US? I've been running them for years, and I seem them fitted in a lot of pictures of European savages. Their 140/90-15 is about the tallest, fattest 140/90 I've seen and gives a useful gear-up - my speedo reads about 6% under.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 13:14:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › tires

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.