Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Re: battery saver system
Reply #15 - 08/14/12 at 04:38:33

Wolfman wrote on 08/14/12 at 01:23:13:
Key on, Key off. Thats what its for.
You never leave your key in the bike and you don't kill the battery. Leave the emergency switch for emergencies..

HouTexS402009 get yourself a key hook and get in the habbit of hanging the key up, make it part of your riding routine  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #16 - 08/14/12 at 05:55:51

And i wouldn't kill it with the kick switch. Wear n tear on the gears you don't need
---------------------------------------------------------
How does that work ? Roll Eyes

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
HouTexS402009
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 08/14/12 at 08:14:41

So many different experiences.  When I took the motorcycle safety course, the instructor told us to always hit the kill switch when we stop the bike and are getting off.  That is now a habit.

IMHO, a battery saver isn't for the good days (99% of the time) when I do things right, it is for that one time that I don't, and it saves my bacon! Grin

See top, original post, for my temporary solution.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #18 - 08/14/12 at 08:27:57

The only real reason for routinely shutting the engine down using the kill switch is to verify it still works.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #19 - 08/14/12 at 08:38:20

I'm just trying to figure out why someone wouldn't turn off their ignition in the first place. That's complete n00b stuff if you ask me. It's like forgetting to put a car into park before getting out of it and it rolls down the driveway. It's not something I would even admit to let alone post it on a public forum.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 08/14/12 at 08:53:37

Cavi Mike wrote on 08/14/12 at 08:38:20:
I'm just trying to figure out why someone wouldn't turn off their ignition in the first place. That's complete n00b stuff if you ask me. It's like forgetting to put a car into park before getting out of it and it rolls down the driveway. It's not something I would even admit to let alone post it on a public forum.

For me......it can just be from habit.  I have owned and ridden off-road motorcycles for years and years and years.  Every one of the them has a kill switch on the handlebars, no battery....and no key.  The routine that has been my normal operational procedure has been to ride up to the stopping point, find neutral, hit the kill switch, turn off the petcock, put down the kickstand and lean the bike over.

Then when I bought the Savage I had to learn about a key......and unlearn the need to shut the automatic petcock off.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
HouTexS402009
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 08/14/12 at 10:42:28

Cavi Mike wrote on 08/14/12 at 08:38:20:

Gee...I wonder why there is an interlock on the key and the park position on the transmission on new cars? Must have happened more than once with tragic consequences.  Just because its embarassing and a mistake, doesn't mean it shouldn't be discussed and a fix invented.  Wink

And I still would like to have a battery saver, its just smart to have a backup if your primary plan fails.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #22 - 08/14/12 at 12:14:34

For some reason routy i was thinking he was dumping the clutch while in gear. Not useing the kickstand. It was 1:30 in the morning....bite me...lol

IP Logged
Foxman276
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Nova Scotia, Canada
Reply #23 - 08/14/12 at 12:24:46

Kill Switch is the only way I know of to stop the engine and look cool coasting into a parking space at the Tim Hortons! (national coffee chain in Canada and home to bikers across the country).

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #24 - 08/14/12 at 12:28:52

Foxman276 wrote on 08/14/12 at 12:24:46:
Kill Switch is the only way I know of to stop the engine and look cool coasting into a parking space at the Tim Hortons! (national coffee chain in Canada and home to bikers across the country).

And then you look really cool when all the bikers yell "EH.. Ya left your LIGHTS ON"  Grin

If you want to sound really cool, you flip the kill switch to kill then back to run as you make your approach.  Ka POW.. nice after fire.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #25 - 08/14/12 at 19:30:56

Wolfman wrote on 08/14/12 at 12:14:34:
For some reason routy i was thinking he was dumping the clutch while in gear. Not useing the kickstand. It was 1:30 in the morning....bite me...lol

Wolf, haven't had to dump the clutch to make an engine stop since the early 80s. The younger kids won't get that, but you probably will. Embarrassing to pull up in a new car and have to hit it with a hammer to make it stop trying to run.  Grin

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #26 - 08/15/12 at 04:43:40

Yeah Boofer, been there done that...lol
'Back then' your buds didn't think to much about it. Ya had wheels.
Now days you'd get all kinds of grief about it.
He!!, if it had wheels and run 'back then' you was the popular one of the bunch. Didn't have to be the newest or shiniest, it just had to RUN!...lol
Rattle...chug...rattle...chug chug...rattle rattle...chug...wheeezzzee! Cheesy

Didn't have to have speakers half the size of the car to fill up the trunk or back seat either.
Or some dinky lil 4 cyl with a SPOILER for gods sake on the rear...roflmao
Gripeing about gas getting high at 55 cents a gal. Shocked

D@mn, Now im feeling OLD! :'(

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #27 - 08/15/12 at 04:54:33

Quote:
He!!, if it had wheels and run 'back then' you was the popular one of the bunch. Didn't have to be the newest or shiniest, it just had to RUN!...lol
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back then you were the popular one of the bunch if you had a dollars worth of gas for the nite's cruzin !

« Last Edit: 08/15/12 at 07:32:10 by Routy »  

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #28 - 08/17/12 at 02:53:14

Dollars worth of gas would get you two gallons, about 90 miles or so. What ever happened with that? New cars are supposed to be so superior to our old clunkers of yesteryear. Yet we ran around 40 mpg.
They act like 22 mpg is spectacular now days. With lighter more efficient cars???...lol

Cruzin down the strip or around the square. Least wise till the cops ran you off...lol
Checkin out the local drive-in dinner for chicks or hitting a drive-in movie.
For you youngsters that was a place you could go to watch a movie and never leave your car. Except for treats, the bathroom or to check out your buddies car when the windows fogged up...lol
Had more money then sense from working the hay fields back then. So that wasn't much of a problem. Money went a LOT farther back then to!
Now days its more sense then money. :'(

ANNDDD it was EASY to work on your own vehicles back then. Didn't need a super computer or truckload of special tools like now days...lol

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #29 - 08/17/12 at 05:06:52

40 mpg ??
In '78 I had a little Civic that would do that.

In '59, my first car....'55 Ford got maybe 15 mpg ?
And in 1959 a dollars worth of gas really would go about 90 miles.
But in '59, gas was .25 gal (gas war days) in central CA.

Rich
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 06:15:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › battery saver system

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.