Send Topic Print
battery saver system (Read 405 times)
HouTexS402009
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

battery saver system
08/13/12 at 15:41:25

I have a bad habit of leaving the key in the bike in the on position when I stop.  I just hit the engine stop and get off.  Of course, the battery is flat in an hour.  Is there a battery saver kit for this bike? Embarrassed

*** UPDATE ***

So...there is no battery saver kit to anyone's knowledge?  Wink

I have learned a lot the hard way.  For the moment, I put my key on a spring loaded clip.  I clip it to my pants, then pull the key down to the ignition.  When I get off, I have to turn off the key and take it with me or I get stuck. Very funny when it happens, but I haven't forgotten to take the key out.  I am designing a transistor and relay system for cutting power when the kill switch is used.  It will reset by keying to park then back to run.

Thanks to everyone.  I will post my battery saver schematic when I have tested it.  (not sure how soon that will be.)

« Last Edit: 08/14/12 at 08:15:39 by HouTexS402009 »  
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: battery saver system
Reply #1 - 08/13/12 at 15:58:50

HouTexS402009 wrote on 08/13/12 at 15:41:25:
I have a bad habit of leaving the key in the bike in the on position when I stop.  I just hit the engine stop and get off.  Of course, the battery is flat in an hour.  Is there a battery saver kit for this ?

Yep, it's a thumb and forefinger after being thoughtfully activated   Grin

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #2 - 08/13/12 at 16:21:55

I never touch the kill switch.  It is always in the on position.  I always use the key switch to energize or de-energize the ignition system.  Actually, I don't see any need to even have a kill switch, except that it might be a handy way to kill the bike in case of a wreck or some kind of engine runaway (stuck throttle?).

Is there any other good use for the kill switch?

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #3 - 08/13/12 at 16:39:49

bobert_FSO wrote on 08/13/12 at 16:21:55:
I never touch the kill switch.  It is always in the on position.  I always use the key switch to energize or de-energize the ignition system.  Actually, I don't see any need to even have a kill switch, except that it might be a handy way to kill the bike in case of a wreck or some kind of engine runaway (stuck throttle?).

Is there any other good use for the kill switch?

re-wire it to use as an accessory on-off switch Smiley

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 08/13/12 at 17:07:22

That's exactly what the kill switch is for, safety. You can kill the engine without having to take your hands off the bars.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 08/13/12 at 17:13:41

Once youve inflicted sufficient pain on yourself by not remembering, youll remember.,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #6 - 08/13/12 at 18:02:44

When I bobbed mine, I eliminated the kill switch, key on, hit the starter. You will never forget your key if you use it for the on/off. If you don't want to make any modifications, then stop using the kill switch when you're done riding.

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 08/13/12 at 19:05:52

That sounds like real good advice..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #8 - 08/13/12 at 19:08:29

Cavi Mike wrote on 08/13/12 at 17:07:22:
That's exactly what the kill switch is for, safety. You can kill the engine without having to take your hands off the bars.

Spot-on Mike! The instructors at the MSF Rider Ed course I took last year pounded that into our brains constantly. There WILL be times when you have to react so quickly you'll fumble trying to get to the ignition key. Especially one that is under the seat or on the side of the frame neck. With the grip mounted kill switch you always have that safety easily at hand. If it saves your arse just once.............well,you get the picture.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #9 - 08/13/12 at 19:10:39

I've been thinking about eliminating the stock kill switch myself but, in the process adapting one of the ATV/Jet Ski type tethered kill switches to it at the same time for those just in case type situations.
Then use the stock kill switch as an accessory switch.   Just Ideas I have floating around the grey matter. Smiley

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #10 - 08/13/12 at 20:12:59

Since you should leave your bike in gear to avoid an accidental forward roll off the kickstand. I ALWAYS stop in first gear and let the kick switch kill it, then I reach down and take the key out. It's just habit. I drained the battery twice in the first couple of months until it got to be routine. That was in 2010.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 08/13/12 at 20:18:53

How about a piezo horn for when the key is on and no volts from the generator?

WWW   IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #12 - 08/13/12 at 20:25:01

verslagen1 wrote on 08/13/12 at 20:18:53:

That would work as well,  but unless you use a resistor network or some other means to get it set to a certain voltage level for the trigger point, you would have to use a High Voltage relay and put it on the generator side.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #13 - 08/13/12 at 20:51:40

verslagen1 wrote on 08/13/12 at 20:18:53:

Or you could do it that way.  Embarrassed Boofer

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #14 - 08/14/12 at 01:23:13

Key on, Key off. Thats what its for.
You never leave your key in the bike and you don't kill the battery. Leave the emergency switch for emergencies.

And i wouldn't kill it with the kick switch. Wear n tear on the gears you don't need.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 04:28:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › battery saver system

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.