Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to improve the front brakes? (Read 168 times)
beacon

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

How to improve the front brakes?
08/13/12 at 10:25:00

I have the stock brake pads and rotor and they are not very effective. Anybody made any changes to significantly improve the grip?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: How to improve the front brakes?
Reply #1 - 08/13/12 at 10:32:21

Stainless web wrapped front brake line helps some (no rubber expansion when hitting the brakes hard).

Replacement EBC pads help some more (no noise).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 08/13/12 at 12:13:35

Once I got rid of the stock pads I could make the front tire chirp by squeezing the brake hard., If itll do that, thats plenty, IMO.
Id start with pads & break them in, then, if youre wanting more grab, spend more $$,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 08/13/12 at 17:36:01

Bleed your fluid before you do anything. Flush out all of the old fluid, don't stop bleeding until you see fresh clear fluid coming out of the bleeder. Don't start throwing parts at it until you've done that. While stainless brake hoses make a difference, they don't make as much of a difference as people think. Having to flush your system during the hose swap is usually what makes the biggest difference.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 08/13/12 at 17:51:54

I changed my fluid and put Kevlar pads on about a year ago. The pads look hardly used. They need a little more grip, but I like that, especially on loose ground or dirt roads. They don't lock up as fast as the stock pads. They were more like on/off. I hate those kind when it locks uo the front real fast, as that is dangerous.
I get my front to chirp as well, how much more do you need? Any more than that and you learn to fly.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #5 - 08/13/12 at 18:07:36

I've got the EBC pads myself and it's not that hard to chirp the front tire, with plenty of lever left so locking it up should be easy as well.  So from this information the only way you are gonna get better breaking is to first increase your front ends grip with the road, which means a wider tire, then go from there on any custom brake mods that may or may not be needed.

If your brake system has the power to lockup your wheel,  then the brake system is not the weak point it's the traction that is.

Cafe type conversion or any that puts the rider in a position where s/he is more over the front end of the bike, or other conversion that more level the bike out are about the only ones I can see that would benefit from putting a more powerful braking system on the front end of the Savage, with the exception of aftermarket brake pads.  The stock pads squeal to darn much  Cheesy

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #6 - 08/13/12 at 18:49:31

Two sets a day, 25 reps each set ought to improve the front braking. Wink

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #7 - 08/13/12 at 18:59:59

ralfyguy wrote on 08/13/12 at 17:51:54:
I changed my fluid and put Kevlar pads on about a year ago. The pads look hardly used. They need a little more grip, but I like that, especially on loose ground or dirt roads. They don't lock up as fast as the stock pads. They were more like on/off. I hate those kind when it locks uo the front real fast, as that is dangerous.
I get my front to chirp as well, how much more do you need? Any more than that and you learn to fly.

How do those Kevlar pads feel??  When I replaced the pads on mine I just had the local shop throw a set of in-stock EBC's on which they did for free since I bought tires and had them mounted and balanced at the same time.

Also where do you get the Kevlar pads at for our bike?   I love the Kevlar or Ceramic pads on my vehicles but have only seen them mentioned here but not where to get em.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #8 - 08/13/12 at 19:42:52

rfw2003 wrote on 08/13/12 at 18:59:59:
ralfyguy wrote on 08/13/12 at 17:51:54:

How do those Kevlar pads feel??  When I replaced the pads on mine I just had the local shop throw a set of in-stock EBC's on which they did for free since I bought tires and had them mounted and balanced at the same time.

Also where do you get the Kevlar pads at for our bike?   I love the Kevlar or Ceramic pads on my vehicles but have only seen them mentioned here but not where to get em.

R.F.

Look for them on eBay. I don't recall the seller, but they can be had for around 16 bux.
They feel easier to dose for me. The stock pads had an agressive bit to them. Easy to lock up. The Kevlars require more hand force, but are better to handle on dirty ground. It may not be everybody's thing, but I like it better.
AND they last a long, long time. I went through two sets of stock pads a year before. Now they are a year old and look like they are in there since just a couple of weeks, when compared to the stock pads. I should have bought another set back then, but I wasn't sure if I like them or not.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #9 - 08/13/12 at 19:45:35

Blinky-FSO wrote on 08/13/12 at 18:49:31:
http://p1.bikepics.com/2012/08/13/bikepics-2441525-200.jpg

Two sets a day, 25 reps each set ought to improve the front braking. Wink

I had to go to physical therapy for a cracked elbow a few months back, and upon evaluation the therapist measure grip strength and my right hand topped out at 150lbs. I have no troubles to squeeze the brake lever all the way to the handle bar with force to spare.  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #10 - 08/13/12 at 19:54:55

Thanks ralfyguy,

Will definatly look into them when I goto change the rotor and pads next time.  I know my pads aren't gonna last all that long as the P.O. let the pads grind down to metal so the rotor is grooved.  Couldn't afford a rotor when I was buying the tires so I just put new pads on for a temp solution, till I could get a new one.

R.F.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #11 - 08/13/12 at 20:08:46

I use Vesrah pads, but lots use Emgo. The differences in pads are: some grip hard and fade less/more than stock--some give a more linear feel and aren't as prone to locking up if you panic a little and grab a handful. Others just last longer. I got lucky and got pads I liked first time out. Not prone to locking up or fading, but takes a good grab to slide the tire. Don't remember the mileage, but they do cost more than most are willing to pay on here. hth  Smiley  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:19:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How to improve the front brakes?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.