Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sorry. Another jet question. (Read 89 times)
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Sorry. Another jet question.
08/12/12 at 17:30:00

I put in the 152.5 and 55 jets. I am at 3 1/4 turns with the mixture screw. I feel it needs more. It still farts a little much at shutdown and runs like total poop until warmed up. It won't start without the choke but won't idle with full or half choke. I have a drop in KN filter and currently some generic aftermarket HD replacement bologna cut muffler. It has some sort of baffle/back pressure thing in it but it is pretty open. I bought Lancer's jet kit. I did not do the spacer mod. Those jet sizes worked great with my thrush muffler. Should I increase either jet?

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Re: Sorry. Another jet question.
Reply #1 - 08/12/12 at 17:37:18

Updated the original post with more info...

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #2 - 08/13/12 at 14:21:23

Greg wrote on 08/12/12 at 17:30:00:
I put in the 152.5 and 55 jets. I am at 3 1/4 turns with the mixture screw. I feel it needs more. It still farts a little much at shutdown and runs like total poop until warmed up. It won't start without the choke but won't idle with full or half choke. I have a drop in KN filter and currently some generic aftermarket HD replacement bologna cut muffler. It has some sort of baffle/back pressure thing in it but it is pretty open. I bought Lancer's jet kit. I did not do the spacer mod. Those jet sizes worked great with my thrush muffler. Should I increase either jet?

ive read in multiple places on here that if youre at 3 turns on the mixture screw its time to step up your pilot jet. but i feel that its not bad if your pilot jet is running slightly lean. only becuase its mainly involved up to 1/4 throttle after that its the other jets but youre going to lose more MPG'S if you step up the pilot jet.  

"farts on shutdown"  Justin O Guy taught me a trick to rid the shutdown after fire. when shutting down the bike keep it in first gear let off the clutch slighty until you feel it in the friction zone ( the bike will want to push forward) then hit the kill switch and finish letting the clutch out. be careful with the clutch you dont want the bike to surge forward on you and dump.  Shocked

when i changed my pilot to a 55 my bike wouldnt start with out the choke either i was told it was because the change in my pilot. i tuned in my air/mixture screw a little better and it didnt have any problems after that.

as for the wont idle with any choke thing i dont really know enough about the choke to help you.  Lips Sealed  maybe your idle speed could use some re-adjusting?

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #3 - 08/13/12 at 15:55:03

Do a 1/2 spacer mod. See the jetting guide in the tech section.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
SaVaGeEaRL

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgetown, KY
Reply #4 - 08/13/12 at 19:50:36

I'm at a thousand feet above sea level, pu in the 55 and 155. It's perfect for me. 2 turns out on the mixture screw, runs like a champ. But the thing that got rid of the shut off poof was the white space mod.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #5 - 08/13/12 at 19:59:53

A #55 pilot and your still having to go 3 plus turns out on the idle mix screw?  what other mods have you done to the engine?  For just a slip-on muff and K&N filter that doesn't sound right unless you have other mods to the engine as well. Have you checked for vacuum leaks and such? Also is your engine at operating temps when adjusting the carb, and did you raise the idle some so it's more steady when adjusting your idle mix screw so you can more easily hear the changes?

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #6 - 08/14/12 at 06:43:26

I really appreciate all the suggestions. Apparently, it was a false alarm. Coincidence would have it that when I put on the muffler things ran bad. I must have bought some funky gas or had something stuck because 100 miles and a fresh tank later, things are as the were. I have my normal fart with beautiful blue flame at shutdown and it starts and idles fine again. Lesson learned. I will try another tank of fuel before I start changing stuff.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 02:32:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sorry. Another jet question.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.