Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Even more riding enjoyment! (Read 156 times)
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Even more riding enjoyment!
08/12/12 at 17:26:46

I wear a half helmet 99% of the time. Tooling around locally is fine but when I make my longer treks the straps near the ears make some loud wind noise. I finally popped in a set of ear plugs and it was totally awesome! I can still hear my scooter, my buddy's HD, and traffic but there are no more ringing ears at the end of the ride! I'm sure this is old news for you motorcycle veterans but I thought I'd pass the tip on to other less experienced riders.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Even more riding enjoyment!
Reply #1 - 08/12/12 at 18:49:58

Yep......it does make the longer and faster rides more enjoyable.  Even with a full face helmet it helps, as the full face helmet can gather a lot of engine noise and direct it toward your ears.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 08/12/12 at 19:54:27

Ear plugs actually make it easier to hear things in loud conditions. The high-pitch sounds of rushing air make it almost impossible to hear other more important sounds. Though I don't wear plugs when I wear my half-helmet, I do put the straps of my goggles over my ears. At work, ear plugs are always in.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #3 - 08/13/12 at 10:26:57

The best ear plugs I ever used for riding were swimming ones I had from surfing, they really seemed to drown out unwanted ambient noise but were hollowed out which made it easier to hear compaired to solid ones like used for shooting  Smiley  

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #4 - 08/13/12 at 12:44:45

The other day I ordered some motorcycle-specific earplugs that are hollowed out as well. When they arrive, I can comment on their effectiveness.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #5 - 08/13/12 at 21:19:27

I like the E A R round plugs with square ends. They fit me best and don't pop out. A quiet ride is less tiring. Reduction rating is around 29.
Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 08/14/12 at 05:04:32

Been using the earplugs since 1969 when I started flying helicopters in Army flight school.  If you think riding bikes is noisy you should try flying in a helicopter with the doors removed.  The blades beating the **** out of the air at near supersonic speeds at the tip of the blades, a huge transmission right behind you whining like crazy, a turbine engine right behind the trans, and the wind blowing through at 150 mph while dodging trees, animals, etc with just 3' between you and the dirt.  It's one heck of a ride and there is NOISE.  
It's one job where you can get paid to be an adrenalin junky !
It's the most fun you can have with clothes on.

I like the foam plugs; just roll them in your fingers a bit, put them in your ears and they expand to make a good seal.  
And yep, they cut the level of trash noise so you can more easily hear those things you want and NEED to hear to keep your body safe.

There is GOOD REASON that pilots use them.

IP Logged
elitemunkeycrew

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sierra Vista, Az
Reply #7 - 08/14/12 at 08:42:51

I just started wearing ear plugs myself. This are my next purchase http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w5hclSlRsY
You can custom makes these and they last forever. The foam expandable ear plugs only last about a week and the plastic ear plugs scrape the inside of your helmet so these seems to be the answer.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 19:34:55

General CategoryThe Cafe › Even more riding enjoyment!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.