I want a tachometer (Read 684 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: I want a tachometer
Reply #30 - 08/19/12 at 07:20:30

ToesNose wrote on 08/13/12 at 05:06:29:
grungeant I just got a tach as well as a speedo with odo and all the idiot lights from Dime City Cycles.  I have a stock S40 and mounting them up at the bar mounts , so far mocking them up they are very visable.  I was waiting till I got my raptor petcock this week to pull the tank and do everything at once. I read all the posts I could find about Tachs for the LS650 talked to a few mechanics and emailed the guys at Dime City back and forth, it seems that the tach should work from piecing all the info together.  I'll start a new thread with pics and all that good stuff (like if the Tach works LOL) once I start working on it hopefully next weekend.

Speedo
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-choppe...

Tach
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-choppe...

Links fixed, TY for the heads up   Wink
They have both with black face also   Cheesy

So, the speedo on the 87 F150 is shot, & my Sun Mini tach just threw its feet in the air, Ive been using a GPS, but it wont show me my miles since last oil change, no odometer w/o sitting down & calculating from the averages & time & such. Sooo,, Im kinda thinkin I may go with these. Anyone have enough time with them to say theyre good or theyre trash?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 08/20/12 at 01:24:08

Grungeant, have a look at ralphyguys post on oil a few posts up from yours. I like his tach mounting and he says he got it off EBAY

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #32 - 08/24/12 at 04:17:53

Good news Grungeant the Tach works just fine   Smiley

For anyone who was interested here's the new post-
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1345772898

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
grungeant
YaBB Newbies

2007 Suzuki S40

South Jersey
Reply #33 - 09/03/12 at 20:43:07

ToesNose wrote on 08/24/12 at 04:17:53:
Good news Grungeant the Tach works just fine   Smiley

For anyone who was interested here's the new post-
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1345772898

That's cool man. I really dig your volt meter mount.
I thought if I ever got a tach and speedo I would want them together, so I would probably buy the plate from Ryca with the key switch.
This is the first bike I ever had where the key wasn't up top, and at first it kind of bugged me and made me nervous, but now I've gotten used to using the kill switch and kind of like the key being under the seat now, so I wouldn't like the Ryca plate anymore.

I don't like the way your gauges are so far apart though, and I don't really like the way they mount from the bottom.
I didn't know you were so good at fabricating stuff.
Perhaps you can make some sort of single piece that would mount both gauges from the faces so they would be closer to the top of the riser clamp level, and make them about 1/4" apart?

For now I bought the EMGO Dunstall reverse cone muffler. I will get it put on in the next day or so. I think most of my problem is I never had a bike without a tach, and I never had a bike I couldn't hear and it makes me nervous because I can't really hear my engine over the wind above 45mph, and at 55mph even turning my head sideways I can't really tell the difference between 4th gear and 5th gear untill an incline. The only reason I know I'm in 5th gear is when I grab the clutch and the shifter won't go up anymore.
I was even able to hear my quiet KLR250 through the wind at 85mph.
I rode my girlfriend's 250 Rebel 70mph the other day and I could hear the engine fine and was less nervous. Although I would like a tach, I have yet to see one with a mount that I would like to have on mine, so hopefully a louder muffler will make things more comfortable riding to work.

I thought about taking a tach/speedo set from a different bike, but I have yet to see one that is as clean as my bike for a reasonable price.

IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 09/03/12 at 20:52:01

Join the try to change up to sixth brigade Grungeant, there are times when it feels like it has or wants a sixth cog. There is a small difference between fourth and fith ratios, some on this forum argue that it should have stayed four speed, I don't agree. My tach has arrived from EBAY and I will opt for the ralfyguy mounting although I would have preffered a white face like toesnose, but mine is brought and paid for. The dealership will install it. Ralfyguys picture of his tach mounting is in the post on Rotella oil abuse.

IP Logged
grungeant
YaBB Newbies

2007 Suzuki S40

South Jersey
Reply #35 - 09/03/12 at 22:04:05

J C Stokes wrote on 09/03/12 at 20:52:01:
Join the try to change up to sixth brigade Grungeant, there are times when it feels like it has or wants a sixth cog. There is a small difference between fourth and fith ratios, some on this forum argue that it should have stayed four speed, I don't agree. My tach has arrived from EBAY and I will opt for the ralfyguy mounting although I would have preffered a white face like toesnose, but mine is brought and paid for. The dealership will install it. Ralfyguys picture of his tach mounting is in the post on Rotella oil abuse.

Yup, seen his tach. I prefer the white face gauges too, especially with the blue lights, but I already bought a Marlin clock with the black face to match the OEM speedo.

Something like this would be cool, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Instrument-Frame-for-1972-1973-Suzuki-GT750-Clocks-Ga... and put my own gauges in it. Maybe it would be cool with a temp gauge?
If I had something like this, I would want something like ToseNose's volt meter, but I would like it better with a compass instead.

I wonder if this tach would work?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-Volusia-VL800-OEM-Tachometer-/170902617931?pt=...

My KLR250 had a 6speed. I don't understand why more bikes don't have 6 gears especially small underpowered bikes. I think my girlfriend's Rebel would be way more economical, and pretty sweet if it had another gear... and if you can handle riding a bike that physically small.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #36 - 09/04/12 at 07:49:06

grungeant wrote on 09/03/12 at 22:04:05:

I'm not sure about the spacing on the riser bolts (maybe you could contact the seller to verify) but in the pic, when you zoom in you can see the text "YIH TYAN" printed on the face of the tach. That brand name is printed on many other tachs that do work with our ignition including the one mounted on my bike.

So, my guess is that the tach would work with our bike, but not 100% sure about the mounting bracket. Would look good if it does though.  Cool

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
grungeant
YaBB Newbies

2007 Suzuki S40

South Jersey
Reply #37 - 09/04/12 at 07:58:24

EJID wrote on 09/04/12 at 07:49:06:
I'm not sure about the spacing on the riser bolts (maybe you could contact the seller to verify) but in the pic, when you zoom in you can see the text "YIH TYAN" printed on the face of the tach. That brand name is printed on many other tachs that do work with our ignition including the one mounted on my bike.

So, my guess is that the tach would work with our bike, but not 100% sure about the mounting bracket. Would look good if it does though.  Cool

If anyone is interested in that tach feel free to buy it. I'm not going to buy a tach at this time.

I am going to look up what a Suzuki Volusia is and see what it looks like on the actual bike, and if I do decide I want one like this int he future at least I know it's an OEM part so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

IP Logged
grungeant
YaBB Newbies

2007 Suzuki S40

South Jersey
Reply #38 - 09/04/12 at 08:12:03

I found these pics on a different Suzuki message board
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj166/badandy158/Project2.png

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj166/badandy158/Project1.png

Apparently they made this tach as either an OEM part, or perhaps it was optional, however it is currently discontinued. and they have been saying C50 so I guess that's another name for the the Volusia?
nobody mentioned exactly what year bikes it was used on, but the one guy did say he bought his from ebay. So being they are both for Suzukis I would imagine the riser bolt spacing are probably the same?

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #39 - 09/04/12 at 09:59:31

That's cool looking, I like the solid mount    Cheesy

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
grungeant
YaBB Newbies

2007 Suzuki S40

South Jersey
Reply #40 - 09/04/12 at 10:19:06

ToesNose wrote on 09/04/12 at 09:59:31:
That's cool looking, I like the solid mount    Cheesy

I wish someone made a double mount like that with a tach on the left and a speedo with resetable trip counter on the right.
That would be cool with my Talon mount Marlin clock next to the clutch perch, and if I had your volt meter mount with a compass in it...
and maybe a outside air temp gauge on the stem.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 04:27:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I want a tachometer

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.