I want a tachometer (Read 684 times)
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: I want a tachometer
Reply #15 - 08/13/12 at 13:24:05

I dropped the dime on the Baron Bullet tach. The interior light burned out within 2 weeks and the suggested replacement would not fit in the bulb holder until I trimmed it a bit. With the black face the needle is not visible at night.
BTW I use the tach to keep the speed steady- it's more accurate than the speedo.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
grungeant
YaBB Newbies

2007 Suzuki S40

South Jersey
Reply #16 - 08/13/12 at 22:00:53

ToesNose wrote on 08/13/12 at 10:45:21:
Yea grungeant I'm mounting one on each of the front handlebar clamp bolts, then the gauges mount to them from the two small bolts on the back.

So are the tabs sandwiched between the handlebar clamps?
Are the attatching bolts on the gauges fixed?
Can you rotate the mounting brackets so the gauges are closer together or will the faces on them be crooked?

EJID wrote on 08/13/12 at 12:59:28:
I'm curious about how that speedo will work for you. According to the DC website, it is the 60:2240 ratio which is the same ratio that the RYCA boys are using with their 18" rear tire. I wonder how far off the speedo will be from actual with the stock size tire  Huh

Is that something that can be adjusted by changing a gear or something?

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #17 - 08/14/12 at 04:47:17

Yea the mounts are sandwiched between the handlebar clamps.

Yupper the attaching bolts on the gauges are fixed, so rotating will tilt the faces.  The only way to tilt them in towards each other would be to make new mounting brackets with the gauge mounting holes positioned differently, not really difficult to do.  Cheesy

As for the speedo, nope they can't be adjusted    Tongue

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
grungeant
YaBB Newbies

2007 Suzuki S40

South Jersey
Reply #18 - 08/14/12 at 07:16:07

ToesNose wrote on 08/14/12 at 04:47:17:
Yea the mounts are sandwiched between the handlebar clamps.

Yupper the attaching bolts on the gauges are fixed, so rotating will tilt the faces.  The only way to tilt them in towards each other would be to make new mounting brackets with the gauge mounting holes positioned differently, not really difficult to do.  Cheesy

As for the speedo, nope they can't be adjusted    Tongue

hmm... I wonder if you could take the dash of another bike with simaler mounting points, like say maybe a Harley Sportster and use gauges from a different bike that has a simaler tire size and put them in the dash panel?

It'd be pretty neat if parts from a Suzuki actually worked for this then the trim or gauges would actually say Suzuki.

IP Logged
grungeant
YaBB Newbies

2007 Suzuki S40

South Jersey
Reply #19 - 08/14/12 at 10:26:45

like maybe get a mount like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Harley-Chopper-Bobber-Speedo-Tach-Mount-/3...
with some gauges from a different bike so the speedo will be accurate.
I have a question though... If the speedo drive is on the front wheel wouldn't the speedo still be accurate if you only changed the rear tire size?
Or does the Ryca cafe racer also use a different front tire too?

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #20 - 08/14/12 at 10:39:15

grungeant wrote on 08/14/12 at 10:26:45:
like maybe get a mount like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Harley-Chopper-Bobber-Speedo-Tach-Mount-/3...
with some gauges from a different bike so the speedo will be accurate.
I have a question though... If the speedo drive is on the front wheel wouldn't the speedo still be accurate if you only changed the rear tire size?
Or does the Ryca cafe racer also use a different front tire too?

The stock speedo is not attached to the front wheel at all, it is connected to the transmission, so any changes in gearing (with change to chain or changing front sproket) or rear tire size will effect the speedo indicated final drive speed.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
grungeant
YaBB Newbies

2007 Suzuki S40

South Jersey
Reply #21 - 08/14/12 at 10:46:51

EJID wrote on 08/14/12 at 10:39:15:
The stock speedo is not attached to the front wheel at all, it is connected to the transmission, so any changes in gearing (with change to chain or changing front sproket) or rear tire size will effect the speedo indicated final drive speed.

Got ya. I've only had my bike a few weeks.
On my last bike the speedo drive was at the bottom of the front fork.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #22 - 08/14/12 at 10:49:04

Yea the most accurate aftermarket speedos (spaz moment watching a sick little boy didn't mean tach) are digital ones with a pickup on the front wheel, but I just love the looks of anolog   Wink

There are speedos  that are analog but also have the digital pickup from the front wheel, but the ones that I found were $102 without a mount   Huh

I basically paid a few dollars more then that for a Speedo with all idiot lights, Tach and mounts   Cheesy

« Last Edit: 08/14/12 at 15:23:24 by ToesNose »  

IP Logged
grungeant
YaBB Newbies

2007 Suzuki S40

South Jersey
Reply #23 - 08/14/12 at 10:54:31

My last bike was a 1983 KZ750 twin. The Speedo was off the front wheel, and the tach was gear driven right from the cam. It had a cable that went right into the valve cover. There wasn't anything digital about it.

IP Logged
grungeant
YaBB Newbies

2007 Suzuki S40

South Jersey
Reply #24 - 08/14/12 at 23:26:34

EJID wrote on 08/13/12 at 12:59:28:
I'm curious about how that speedo will work for you. According to the DC website, it is the 60:2240 ratio which is the same ratio that the RYCA boys are using with their 18" rear tire. I wonder how far off the speedo will be from actual with the stock size tire  Huh

That makes two of us. I sent Ryca an email asking them how accurate their speedo would be on a stock bike, and they replied with
"Our speedo is accurate, same ratio as stock and 90% of other jap bikes  2240/60 ratio."

I guess it's close enough? I found most stock speedometers on cars read about 1-2mph faster than what you are actually going at highway speed, and I found when I went from 33's to 35's on my pickup with out changing speedo gears the speedo got more accurate, but never was more than about 1.5mph.
So I guess the ratio that it would be off must be very minimal in the highway and under speeds that it doesn't really matter?

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #25 - 08/15/12 at 05:10:17

EJID wrote on 08/13/12 at 13:19:51:
Here's my cheap eBay tach... I took out those pull-back risers and mounted my new bars right next to the triple tree. I had to bend the mounting bracket on the tack back towards me a little, but I like how it looks and works for me. I've put on about 1,300 miles since I installed it, and no problems so far.

And J.C. - yes the tach vibrates and I haven't had any problems with mine, another member - Ralphguy (I think) said he had the same one and it vibrates to the point of blowing the lightbulb inside. Mine is LED backlit, so I don't think I will have that problem.

http://p1.bikepics.com/2012/03/07/bikepics-2360970-full.jpg

Yes I had two of them mounted the same way as yours and it kept blowing bulbs every two weeks from vibrations and the first one eventually died completely. The second one I eventually mounted with the included vibra-clamp and haven't had an issue since. I have it mounted now just to the left of the handlebar clamp.
The funny thing is that with that vibra-clamp it actually shakes more at certain rpm's than before, but that seems to not hurt it any.
I do believe that is the higher frequency vibrations when mounted rigid what killed it and the bulbs. I have a similar issue with my stem nut clock.
If I run it over 80mph for more than a few minutes at a time, the clock stops running. Tried three different ones and all did the same.

IP Logged
grungeant
YaBB Newbies

2007 Suzuki S40

South Jersey
Reply #26 - 08/15/12 at 07:55:52

ralfyguy wrote on 08/15/12 at 05:10:17:
I have a similar issue with my stem nut clock.
If I run it over 80mph for more than a few minutes at a time, the clock stops running. Tried three different ones and all did the same.

Have you ever used the Marlin clock with the talon mount? I just put one on the left side next to my clutch perch.
It's basically a wrist watch mounted in a round stainless frame with a silicone grommet in between.

IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #27 - 08/17/12 at 08:23:19

ToesNose wrote on 08/13/12 at 12:24:30:
First try uploading to photobucket and linking from my phone, hope it works  Huh

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy206/bcrx2/IMG_20120813_143439.jpg

Those items working pretty good for you?  Were they difficult to install?

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #28 - 08/17/12 at 09:41:18

grungeant wrote on 08/15/12 at 07:55:52:
ralfyguy wrote on 08/15/12 at 05:10:17:
I have a similar issue with my stem nut clock.

Have you ever used the Marlin clock with the talon mount? I just put one on the left side next to my clutch perch.
It's basically a wrist watch mounted in a round stainless frame with a silicone grommet in between.

No, haven't, but the reason I got a stem nut clock was theclean integrated look. But the rigid way it mounts is what kils it. I may just try to fill the housing it mounted ts with full of silicone and not use the set screw to fasten it. That may help cushioning it from vibrations.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #29 - 08/19/12 at 05:06:11

Sorry no follow up on the Tach and Speedo from me, the whole family got sick this past week.    Sad  

Wife is away for business this coming week, so I'll be able to get some work done on the bike at night. Should get it all done this week and then check the acuracy of the gauges next weekend.  I promise once I get anything accomplished I'll start a thread, most likely tomorow night.   Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 04:35:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I want a tachometer

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.