Send Topic Print
I want a tachometer (Read 684 times)
grungeant
YaBB Newbies

2007 Suzuki S40

South Jersey
I want a tachometer
08/12/12 at 11:28:17

I want a tach, and I would also like a speedo with a trip counter.
I like the Ryca gauges, but I don't think they would be easy to see on a stock bike. I have the stock drag bars.
Does anyone know how they mount and can the angle or postion of them be changed?

Can someone recommend a handlebar mounted tach or tach and speedo set up that would work and look nice on a stock bike?

I would prefer to have gauges mounted in a more standard position mounted in front of the center of the handlbars and angled towards my face instead of on the tank.
I could probably live with the stock speedometer, but I definately would like a tachometer.

IP Logged
Foxman276
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Nova Scotia, Canada
Re: I want a tachometer
Reply #1 - 08/12/12 at 14:59:18

My advice is forget about the tach. It is just clutter for your bars. Rev it up and go!

As for the odo, there are lots of clever suggestions in other threads on the site, including using a three digit combo lock to track when you need to refuel.

IP Logged
scottnj

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

the 'Nati, OH
Reply #2 - 08/12/12 at 17:52:46

I put a bicycle computer on the handlebars for a speedometer that I can see without looking between my legs.  Bonus features are trip meter and clock.  It's not a cool as a nice set of nice real gauges (like the ones Ryca uses) would be, but it works great and I don't run out of gas anymore (just fill up when the trip meter hits about 100 miles).  I think the tech section has a thread on this -- only certain bike computers will work, because some top out at 50 mph but some go up to 200mph.  I used a Sigma.  Total cost to me was less than $30.

2007 S40 (Supertrapp, 6" Ed. L forward controls, K&N, & some other stuff)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 08/12/12 at 18:51:49

Look at the Trail Tech or Vapor Tech.  They have really nice computers that can include a tach, odo, temperature, clock and MPH.  They will require several wire hook ups to get them working - but you can even include your high beam and turn signal indicators on the one with a dash board.
http://www.trailtech.net/vapor.html

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
grungeant
YaBB Newbies

2007 Suzuki S40

South Jersey
Reply #4 - 08/12/12 at 19:29:37

The Vapor thing is kind of neat, but I don't want a hightech digital computer looking thing.
I definately want analog looking gauges.

IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/13/12 at 00:59:42

There are analogue ones at JP Cycles, visit their website and type in tachometer. If you want to spend money one of the fancy Baron Bullet ones will fit. There is a thread on this site called tachometers known to work on the Savage or something similar and this lists the Baron Bullet in question. The JP ones are similar to Ryca and seem to retail at about $US79

IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/13/12 at 01:22:37

The analogue tach post is in page 7 of the tech documents section

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #7 - 08/13/12 at 05:06:29

grungeant I just got a tach as well as a speedo with odo and all the idiot lights from Dime City Cycles.  I have a stock S40 and mounting them up at the bar mounts , so far mocking them up they are very visable.  I was waiting till I got my raptor petcock this week to pull the tank and do everything at once. I read all the posts I could find about Tachs for the LS650 talked to a few mechanics and emailed the guys at Dime City back and forth, it seems that the tach should work from piecing all the info together.  I'll start a new thread with pics and all that good stuff (like if the Tach works LOL) once I start working on it hopefully next weekend.

Speedo
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-choppe...

Tach
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-choppe...

Links fixed, TY for the heads up   Wink
They have both with black face also   Cheesy

« Last Edit: 08/13/12 at 10:47:53 by ToesNose »  

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #8 - 08/13/12 at 08:38:37

Your links are broken, try this.

Speedo

tach

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
grungeant
YaBB Newbies

2007 Suzuki S40

South Jersey
Reply #9 - 08/13/12 at 09:29:14

how do the gauges attatch?
does the single eyelet attatch to one of the handlebar clamp bolts? Then the gauge bolts to the double eyelet side?

I am guessing the Ryca gauges are probably universal so would probably fit on different mounting brackets than just the ones on the Ryca page.

If you are using the dime city gauges what are you going to do with the big hole in the middle of the tank?
I only saw the Ryca elimator plate that has the key switch  in it which I think would be cooler than being under the seat.
Also the Ryca plate has idiot lights in it, so I don't think I would want a gauge that had them if I was using the Ryca plate.
I also like the way the Ryca gauges have the trip counter reset on the right side so the tach can be mounted on the left.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #10 - 08/13/12 at 10:45:21

Bad links! Bad Bad links!! Thanks for the heads up and the link fix CalisOsin  Wink

Yea grungeant I'm mounting one on each of the front handlebar clamp bolts, then the gauges mount to them from the two small bolts on the back. The only thing I had to do was flatten the bottom rounded area below the single eyelet with my dremel to make it fit.  I'm planning on making a new center console out of carbon fiber I had laying around which will have a drink holder in the speedo center and will come up higher in the back with one of two things either a voltmeter and oil temp gauges or volt meter  and cigarette lighter socket.   I'll decide after I get everything torn apart and get a chance to mock up a console in styrofoam  Cheesy     And I love the fact that the idiot lights are on the speedo where they are in plain view instead of on the tank (Yay my Raptor showed up today too!)

My little boy is sick with a stomach bug today   :'(  I'll get a pic up of the gauges mounted tonight for ya to check out.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #11 - 08/13/12 at 12:24:30

First try uploading to photobucket and linking from my phone, hope it works  Huh

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #12 - 08/13/12 at 12:59:28

Looks like it worked  Cheesy

Looks good as a matched pair mounted like that in my opinion. I have a similar tach mounted the same way, but on the left like your speedo.

I'm curious about how that speedo will work for you. According to the DC website, it is the 60:2240 ratio which is the same ratio that the RYCA boys are using with their 18" rear tire. I wonder how far off the speedo will be from actual with the stock size tire  Huh

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/13/12 at 13:10:47

The Dime City Tach looks very similar to what J P Cycles sell. Once you have it up and running I would be interested in Knowing if there are any issues with the instrument vibrating while you ride.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #14 - 08/13/12 at 13:19:51

Here's my cheap eBay tach... I took out those pull-back risers and mounted my new bars right next to the triple tree. I had to bend the mounting bracket on the tack back towards me a little, but I like how it looks and works for me. I've put on about 1,300 miles since I installed it, and no problems so far.

And J.C. - yes the tach vibrates and I haven't had any problems with mine, another member - Ralphguy (I think) said he had the same one and it vibrates to the point of blowing the lightbulb inside. Mine is LED backlit, so I don't think I will have that problem.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 04:36:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I want a tachometer

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.