Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Getting lazy with Linux (Read 163 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Getting lazy with Linux
08/11/12 at 22:56:57

I have bragged that Linux is boring and it just works, that you don't have to scan and defrag and antivirus update and do the every Tuesday Microsoft invasion of your machine and etc. etc. ad nausium.  

It just works.

Now we try a new experiment.  

My white box distro is Linux Mint 9.0 which has just gone over the 3 year support cliff and it is now obsolete and unsupported by the auto update features of the distro.

How long will it take before this fully set up and tweeked to make me happy simple old distro quits working?

Microsoft would quit on you within a month or two, requiring something or another that caused it to stop working completely (along with your obligatory upgrade to Windows 8 notice popping up on your screen).

I betcha Linux doesn't do that, that the stuff I have just keeps on chunking right along since all the drivers support my hardware jest fine and all my hardware is old and hasn't been updated by anybody for 5-6 years now.

The fact I am not getting updates makes me MORE stable, not less.

Unless I buy something new, I bet I have to do NOTHING to keep using the old white box and the obsolete Mint 9.0 distro .... for years and years and years.  

The response speed will always stay this fast, nothing will slow down and get all boggy on me (my antique white box is still faster than my wife's most modern MS machine and that is with good defrag maintenance on a 2 ghz dual core win 7 laptop).

This state of nirvana will last & last until/unless I want some new hardware that isn't supported on the old distro (and then I bet I could find them new drivers, I betcha, along with a helpful single string of linux root command line code that would go out and get it and tuck it all safely in place).

Cheesy

Now that my friends is Linux lazy !!!  

You get it the way you like it, you get to keep it forever.

Fer free, no less.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Getting lazy with Linux
Reply #1 - 08/12/12 at 03:45:21

If it works, does what you want it to do, supports your hardware, and don't need to add any fancy new applications (or changes to ones you have that you would like to see), you are golden.
Buy new box and it comes with new wind blows.  What happens with new wind blows is that it no longer supports older apps, so you have to buy new apps, then you have to buy new hardware to get the performance back, and the cycle repeats.

Me???  I use OS/2 Warp at work.  Does what I need, does it fast, and has been doing it for many years.  Golden.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #2 - 08/12/12 at 08:15:49

long time ago I had a machine that was running Fedora 1 on it for years after they stopped support for it.  Linux just plain works is all there is to it.  Even if you do end up changing some hardware all you might have to do is compile your own drivers for it from source.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 08/12/12 at 08:27:14

Naw, I'd just google "install new hardware XXX on Mint 9.0 Isadora" and 20 hits will show up with 6 different ways to do it and there will be three people who wrote fully automated short scripts to go get it from the repository and tuck it all in place on my old white box machine.

(copy and paste that line of code into my command line and whammo -- she goes and gets it and puts it in place herself inside of 10 seconds, that sweet sweet little Isadora).

=================

Also new and shocking is the total "no need for new faster hardware" -- I haven't gotten used to that yet
(I still oggle at new hardware all the time).

But I don't buy any.  Reality is that the old hardware moves so fast I don't even want to go get any faster.

All I have to do to be totally content is use a modern machine with IE 8 or 9 on it -- then I go home all happy again.

It takes real talent for MicroChoke to bogggg down a 4 core 64 bit 3.4 gigahertz processor equipped with 6 gig of systems memory --- but IE 9 can sure do it fer ya.

I'm proud of them -- drive that next upgrade boys, drive it !!!

« Last Edit: 08/12/12 at 11:08:11 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #4 - 08/12/12 at 08:33:22

Websites not sticking to W3C standards and getting too fancy with their HTML is what messes with my rig, more than anything.  They can't just friggin write something that is readable in HTML by your browser and in English by you. NoOOoooOOooo they have to keep breaking it with Script-y Flash-y AJAX-y bullshit that requires a current browser and 5 plugins.  WTF does Facebook have to do with Eastwood ZDDP booster, anyway? Answer: Eastwood wants to be as plugged into as many sources of customers as possible, so they mucked up their site. Now I have to update Firefox and all the extensions to make it work.  Which in Linux requires that you update a bunch of dependencies, which then would not work with the kernel, which would have to be updated too, breaking several other programs on the computer, so they'd need updating, etc..

So just to browse a site and figure out the stupid ZDDP puzzle, I need to update my whole computer.  My Linux is too lazy for that.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 08/12/12 at 08:38:23

Hey, go get you a mini browser like Chrome, install it and only use it to go look at the totally craptastic sites like Eastwood.

Eastwood doesn't say webwise what's in it or how to use it -- somebody is gonna have to email them and then catch a buttload of attachments back in the return email that have all this good info in them.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #6 - 08/12/12 at 08:42:37

Boule’tard wrote on 08/12/12 at 08:33:22:
Websites not sticking to W3C standards and getting too fancy with their HTML is what messes with my rig, more than anything.  They can't just friggin write something that is readable in HTML by your browser and in English by you. NoOOoooOOooo they have to keep breaking it with Script-y Flash-y AJAX-y bullshit that requires a current browser and 5 plugins.  WTF does Facebook have to do with Eastwood ZDDP booster, anyway? Answer: Eastwood wants to be as plugged into as many sources of customers as possible, so they mucked up their site. Now I have to update Firefox and all the extensions to make it work.  Which in Linux requires that you update a bunch of dependencies, which then would not work with the kernel, which would have to be updated too, breaking several other programs on the computer, so they'd need updating, etc..

So just to browse a site and figure out the stupid ZDDP puzzle, I need to update my whole computer.  My Linux is too lazy for that.

Haven't tried to install it on my nix boxes yet but avg anti-virus has a plugin now for the main browsers called Do Not Track that blocks all that crap.   I use FF myself on all my boxen.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #7 - 08/12/12 at 10:04:08

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/12/12 at 08:38:23:
Eastwood doesn't say webwise what's in it or how to use it -- somebody is gonna have to email them and then catch a buttload of attachments back in the return email that have all this good info in them.

I called and left a message on their techical support line.  They are closed right now but if they get back to me next week with the pertinent info about their product, they are still in the running. I did also ask about any additional friction modifiers that might be in there.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 08/12/12 at 10:21:49

I'm using Mint 11 on my netbook.... I'm not that in love with it,.. but I couldn't get XP to install from a flash drive...
It is pretty reliable,.. but slower to boot than my hotrodded XP was...
File navigation sucks... some things want a single click (and give an error popup if you double),.. some things want a double, but won't really work unless you triple click...
... and I really wish they'd name things what they are,.. instead of some silly animal...
I tried Puppy first,.. that super sucked...
All in all,.. I'd rather have my XP back...  Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #9 - 08/12/12 at 10:28:52

It's been awhile since I messed with Mint,  but there is a setting for the file browser that allows you to change it from single click to dbl click and vice versa.  Right now I've just got a few servers running in the house on Nix atm but will so be back to dual booting my new laptop and my main workhorse which is an 8 core running at 4ghz and 16gb of ram.

R.F.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 08/12/12 at 11:00:21

Puppy set my mind open, I didn't stay with it because it was a little kludgy to use, but indeed it was blazing fast to do things.  Puppy did set my mind up for Mint 9.0 which WASN'T kludgy and wasn't slow and 9.0 greatly resembled XP once you put a blue green background up it actually looked and acted quite a bit like XP, enough so it wasn't hard to use at all.

My wife walks up to my white box and gets around fine, bitches sometimes that my office is set up strange and why don't I put up the modern style Office menu system?  (it's Open Office)  But she opens and does stuff whenever her laptop is out of service again for virus this and upgrade that .....  when she gets to school the files will open with a convert notice, which she does.  

Heck, she does whatever a worm or a trojan tells her to do every single time.   MicroChoke has trained her to say "yes" when prompted.

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 08/12/12 at 11:32:31

Serowbot, my laptop is an ancient XP small 13.2" screen HP unit that was given to Grandma so she could get e-mail.  She never used it much and as the years went by it got sooooo slow that nobody even wanted to use it to go on line with, so it got replaced and the corpse came home to me to "do something with it".

I needed a laptop at work for when I was stuck in the guard shack at the front of the University doing Welcome Center duty, so I took it and started renovating.

First, I used the hidden drive D to put back the original software, then spent a month throwing away crapware and letting MS update the XP up through the service pack chain.   Installed a free virus checker, installed a better defragger, installed Firefox and Office 97 (all the Office you will ever really need).  Bought a long ear (USB wifi booster antenna) that can scoop up a wifi connect a quarter mile away.  Got some external powered speakers so I could hear a streamed movie with the AC running full blast.

Then I stumbled upon a net source selling 2 each 2 meg sticks of old pulled systems memory from returned rental units -- 4 megs of systems memory that was so modern my system could barely use it -- all for $27 with free shipping.   It worked so well I went and replaced the battery with an 12 cell extended jobbie for $34 so I have 6-8 hours of battery run time on a single charge.

I have an really really old XP laptop that zips right along now.   It is the one I carry on vacations and motorcycle trips, it is abused and neglected but it always works.   When my wife messes all 3 of hers up, I lend her my old reliable XP laptop and then I threaten to convert all her machines to Linux if she doesn't start saying NO to worms and trojans and fake virus alerts that look just like her antivirus is talking to her.

She knows I won't do it because her work has her so firmly locked into MS products.   But she appreciates my old XP laptop when she needs to use it.

Cheesy

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #12 - 08/17/12 at 20:10:44

I use http://peppermintos.com/ on my older slower 512mb memory ThinkPad and it runs fine till I hit swapspace memory usage from only having the 512mb of memory. Much less kludgy than a full blown app installed Linux distro.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 08/17/12 at 22:43:44

I downloaded the iso and will burn a lookie see CD.

I really don't like Chrome all that much, prefer firefox.  Would use Chrome in preference over MS Explorer Whatever
Boy, MS E sure is sllllllooooowww to load a page, ain't it?

I'm gonna be flexible until my monitor dies or until somebody comes up with a A15 dual core stick PC with Mali 624 graphics for say $89 with 2.x gigahertz speed and 8 core graphics and 2 gigs of systems memory  

(ie twice the specs on all components of my old white box pc)    Wink

Until then, I'll suffer along with what I got .... and be right happy with it !!

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 08/17/12 at 23:20:48

Four minutes to download the 64 bit ISO, 6 minutes to burn it, 6 minutes to load from the CD but once it was up it was fast and easy enough to use.

This post is made using Chrome (default setting looks a whole lot like a Google page, don't it?)

It is quick enough, so I'll leave the image up and running until I notice something I don't like.

=============

Ya gotta love Linux, you can take it for a test drive for 5 miles or 50,000 miles, its all the same to Linux.

You do realize that since the sleep button works, all I do is suspend Linux and wake it back up when I want to go use it again.    

This means a CD or a thumb drive ISO image works fine for most everything and that there isn't REALLY a strong case for installing the software if you have enough systems memory to load everything "virtual" anyway.   And my measly 1.5 gig is apparently enough to do this trick just dandy with Peppermint.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 19:35:53

General CategoryThe Cafe › Getting lazy with Linux

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.