Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
John Wayne the Rott sick.. (Read 126 times)
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
John Wayne the Rott sick..
08/11/12 at 18:10:05

This past week has been a doozey..
John Wayne our wonderful Rottweiler
fell ill..
It started with a decrease in appetite, and
followed with not being able to keep what
little food he was eating as long with water
down. I knew it was serious when he was
unable to keep the water down..
Trip to vet, blood work revealed nothing, yet
vet agreed he was very sick.. Two stomach
x-rays revealed no obstrucions and yet their
was something that seemed to alarm the Dr.
X-rays sent to another Dr to read, nothing abnormal.
So everything seemed normal and yet he was still sick.
Dr, now believes it is Pancreatitis..Only way to actually telll
is to have an Ultra sound performed. Now that gets very
spendy and then if a biopsy or 2 is needed, that adds to
the cost. Then the anesthelogist says with John Wayne
being 10 years old, he would not subject him to the
surgery.
So now we have decided to do our best to make him as
comfortable as we can. He did go 2 days in a row for fluids
and nausea injections.
Progress eport is today, he is eating some, drinking more and
keeping it all down without any nausea meds..Smiley
He even was able to give me the best kisses I have had in awhile
yesterday and today.. Smiley
I can't tell you how happy I was to see him drink water and eat a little
and keep it all down.
We had thought his time was about up. He may not be out of the woods
totally, yet he is better than a few days ago.
I now have to keep up my end of the bargain I made with him.
I told him, you get better and I will take you for a ride everyday in the
truck without it being to the vets... Smiley kim

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: John Wayne the Rott sick..
Reply #1 - 08/11/12 at 19:53:01

Well I'm sorry to hear your four legged son is feeling poorly.   Sad
I betcha it's cause he doesn't recognize you any more and misses you.   Wink

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 08/11/12 at 20:00:24

I sure know how you feel. Ive lost so many good dogs down thru the years I dont even count them any more,.Its hard to decide when to say goodbye. I guess, once its obvious that their quality of life will never be anything better than feeling bad & just barely getting around, its time to spend some time with them in your lap & hug on them & pet them & cry,,& then take that trip to the vets..I know I have,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #3 - 08/11/12 at 20:21:07

Our cat has Pancreatitis. (It took almost $3000 to get this diagnosis.)  The big first step is to reduce the inflammation. There is effectively no treatment other than restricting their diets to foods that do not irritate the pancreas.  I do not know about dogs.  Our cat has to eat a formula of rabbit and green peas.  I am sure that your vet can tell you what food is recommended for your dog.  

Our cat does quite well, as long as we restrict his diet.  He wants different food, but don't we all.  The big problem in our house is that we have three other cats, and they are also restricted to his diet. (No way to handle the food otherwise.)

Good luck

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #4 - 08/11/12 at 20:59:40

Any chance he got into something he shouldn't?
A friend of mine posted the following on facebook today. Don't know if this is true or not, but.......

Pet owners READ This....
Please tell every dog or cat owner you know. Even if you don't have a pet, please pass this to those who do.
Over the weekend, the doting owner of two young lab mixes purchased Cocoa Mulch from Target to use in their garden. The dogs loved the way it smelled and it was advertised to keep cats away from their garden. Their dog (Calypso) decided the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large helping. She vomited a few times which was typical when she eats something new but wasn't acting lethargic in any way. The next day, Mom woke up and took Calypso out for her morning walk. Halfway through the walk, she had a seizure and died instantly.

Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further investigation on the company's web site,
This product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs and cats.

Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's, and they claim that "It is true that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog). However, 98% of all dogs won't eat it."

Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's Garden Supply and other garden supply stores contains a lethal ingredient called 'Theobromine'. It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths already occurred in the last 2-3 weeks.

Theobromine is in all chocolate, especially dark or baker's chocolate which is toxic to dogs. Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine, a xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells developed severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents and the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine.

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #5 - 08/13/12 at 15:22:14

Oh Kimmy, I feel for you dear.  I hope John Wayne gets to feeling better.  I believe we have alot of dog-lovers here, so keep us posted!  I'm praying for him...

As far as RidgeRunner's post, I do know cocoa and chocolate are dangerous for dog's, but know nothing about that mulch.  Will look it up later, but thanks for the head's up anyway!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
cowboy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/13/12 at 18:22:59

jw didn't get into anti freeze did he? it strips the lining off there stomachs. and is very bad. best wishes :'(

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #7 - 08/13/12 at 21:11:59

Kim, I have learned, after you've been stumped by a non-diagnosis, that animals are capable of taking care of themselves. I just make mine comfortable and let them in the house to be cool or warm as needed. I keep soft food and hard food and water available close by. Of course it doesn't always work, but animals don't crawl off to die as we sometime think--they crawl off to live by being still and resting so they can heal. I have a 12 year old outside dog that replaced a dog who died at 15. I sometimes slip him half a Tylenol in a weiner when he shows signs of arthritis. Then he meets me next morning ready to play for a couple of days. Rub him behind his ears for me, will you? I wish you and him my best. They are indeed, man's (and woman's) best friend. Boofer  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #8 - 08/14/12 at 21:15:27

Thanks everyone for your advice and
well wishes.
John Wayne is about 100% better than
last week.
He is even doing his happy dance and
eating his dog bones.
Still not 100% sure what it was that
made him so sick. We do know it
wasn't chocolate nor anti freeze.
His appetite is much better yet I am
still careful on what I feed as well as
how much.
Today I even took him and Oscar for
a ride in the truck.
I think he was surprised when it wasn't
a trip to the vet and no shots were given. Smiley
I do know with him being 10 years old that
his body will start to eventually slow down. Sad
For now, he is living comfortably inside and
enjoying his retirement. Smiley
Thanks again for eveyones advice and well wishes.. Smiley kim

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 08/14/12 at 21:47:49

Ive been waiting on you to post again. What a relief!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #10 - 08/14/12 at 21:54:17

Very good to hear.  Our 4 legged kids are just as important as the other kids. Smiley

I've even been trying to figure out a way to make a carrier to mount on the tank to take my little 4 legged kid with me on some rides.  I mean she's only 6lbs and that's because she's fat  Grin

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 08/15/12 at 11:27:50

What'd he do, take a chomp out of a "Bremalo" that wandered over from the base? If you two have had any salmon in the kitchen, that can do it too. The only large breeds that can safely ingest salmon/trout are Samoyeds and Huskies. Many a friend out there has lost a large breed from salmon/trout consumption. And most vets don't even think about that as a source of issues in dogs. If you have a cat, make sure the food is out of your dog's reach... or buy fish free formulas like we do, our beagle will eat anything.

Glad he's feeling better.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 19:30:47

General CategoryThe Cafe › John Wayne the Rott sick..

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.