Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Nice little felt thump from motor (Read 365 times)
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Re: Nice little felt thump from motor
Reply #15 - 08/12/12 at 14:42:15

It was about the same here in McAlester. It was brutally hot here. Saturday two weeks ago, the wife and I went to Eufaula. It was 112 degrees out and the heat index was 122. A 30 mile ride on the superslab. I kept it around 70-75mph and the wind was like a hot blow dryer in your face. By the time we got there, the wife almost passed out. And she usually likes it hot. We then went to the bar next door to cool off and get some water and A/C. I was pretty miserable as well. The bike was really hot. The crank case almost felt as hot as the cylinder.
I rode in 100+ degrees before, but that seemed too much for riders and bike. I didn't expect it to be that bad after just 30 miles. I won't do that again, lemme tell you that. Just glad the bike had a fresh load of T-6 in it. That stuff is amazing. Not to start another oil war, just saying.
I'm not gonna ride out of town anymore when it is above 105, period.
That heat here in summer is plain nuts.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 08/12/12 at 16:05:35

If you oil consumption is up, it's likely your rings.

that thump by your right foot, you better check out.
preferrably before you own a scrap heap.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1191167029

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 08/12/12 at 17:32:32

It was time for the Jerry Lewis Telathon. I was in Vegas, 76..The AF sent me there. The car we had was w/o A/C..Morning trip out to the site was allright, but the PM trip back to the squadron, it was so hot we couldnt stand to have the windows down,
Im thinking your oil thinned out & I hope you didnt hurt anything. Id change oil.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #18 - 08/12/12 at 21:42:42

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/12/12 at 17:32:32:
It was time for the Jerry Lewis Telathon. I was in Vegas, 76..The AF sent me there. The car we had was w/o A/C..Morning trip out to the site was allright, but the PM trip back to the squadron, it was so hot we couldnt stand to have the windows down,
Im thinking your oil thinned out & I hope you didnt hurt anything. Id change oil.

You think that was too hot even for T-6?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #19 - 08/12/12 at 21:50:33

Heck, man,, I dunno,,I cant imagine riding in that. There are others here who consider OIl their second language, let one of them say.It may be a good thing youre running synth,,
YOu guys have any VW's runnin around up there? If they arent dying, its not too hot for a bikes engine, Id guess.,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #20 - 08/13/12 at 05:25:22

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/12/12 at 21:50:33:
Heck, man,, I dunno,,I cant imagine riding in that. There are others here who consider OIl their second language, let one of them say.It may be a good thing youre running synth,,
YOu guys have any VW's runnin around up there? If they arent dying, its not too hot for a bikes engine, Id guess.,.

Haven't seen one in a long time.  Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 08/13/12 at 06:04:43

Hmmmm,,  that mite be sayin something..YOu know, where they were designed, its not like it is in West Texas. I used to see them all the time out there.
Are they still air cooled? I knew a guy who had a VW that had a radiator in 75..I THink that thing had a radiator..

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #22 - 08/13/12 at 06:32:21

There is some versions of the 4 cylinder flat engine that is water cooled. They usually come out of the heavier duty pick-up versions. Also Porsche used some 4 cylinder types later on. But not many. The Porsche flat 6 is nothing but a Beetle motor with 2 more cylinders...essentially speaking.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #23 - 08/13/12 at 10:40:42

Do you think your engine got over 500 degrees?   You are only talking 20o rise in air temp over a balmy 80 up to 100 something degrees.  20-30o up in engine oil temp is nothing to T-6

(neither would a hundred degree oil temp rise, but who is counting the small change).

If not, don't worry about the T-6, it will drain out at the end of your normal drain interval with no lumps, no sludge (no nuttin' for all I've ever seen).

For less than six bucks a quart, it is some amazingly good heat proof stuff for our little one lunger.

=============

Ralphy, when you drain it out take some pics and post your results as a "heat abuse test".    Use something clean to catch the drain oil and let it sit a bit so anything that is in it can settle all the way to the bottom.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 08/13/12 at 12:10:57

There it is,, info from someone who really knows,,Thanks OF.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #25 - 08/13/12 at 15:13:45

I might throw it out on the weekend. I just changed it 2 weeks ago, about 100 miles on it. Y'all scared me a little now and I have my doubts now. I don't know if it reached 500 degrees, but the freshly greased kick stand pin and shift lever pin were starting to move really tough. It was greased with Ford/Lincoln/Mercury moly grease for bearings and it looked like tar. So whatever the temp was, that grease didn't make it.

Edit: Just checked and the grease is up to 275 degrees. So I suppose it must have been close to that down there where the levers are attached to, if it started to be like tar. I assume that the case was hotter, so the cylinder was even more. I guess I may have run the T-6 at the limit. It's just gonna be 14 bux to change it and to be on the safe side. Or maybe I'm just paranoid.
Like I said, it was 30 miles on the highway, doing 75mph pretty much the whole time, and then when we got into town maybe a few minutes stop and go traffic. And my bike is not running lean like a factory setup. The exhaust has no discoloration,  not even a hint of gold on the header.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 08/13/12 at 16:04:50

Id hate to waste 14 bucks,, but Id hate wastin an engine a lot more,

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #27 - 08/13/12 at 16:11:04

Drain it and take some pics and make a "Heat Abuse Test, Rotella T-6" out of it.   Pics of the pan that the drained oil sat in for several hours, then the oil was gently poured out of the way leaving any clumps or solids or sludge lumps sitting there attached to the bottom of the pan.

However it goes, it will be good information

(including the fact you overcooked your moly based kickstand grease at over 275oF)

wow !!!  

Hot day.

==============

if you use a clean pan and a clean funnel and a washed clean & let dry completely in the sun empty milk jug, you could preserve the practically new oil (in case it did come up roses) and you could actually put it back into the bike to complete its normal rounds if you wanted to.  

It is either hurt or not, and you will soon know.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #28 - 08/13/12 at 16:37:57

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/13/12 at 16:11:04:

Drain it and take some pics and make a "Heat Abuse Test, Rotella T-6" out of it.   Pics of the pan that the drained oil sat in for several hours, then the oil was gently poured out of the way leaving any clumps or solids or sludge lumps sitting there attached to the bottom of the pan.

However it goes, it will be good information

(including the fact you overcooked your moly based kickstand grease at over 275oF)

wow !!!  

Hot day.

==============

if you use a clean pan and a clean funnel and a washed clean & let dry completely in the sun empty milk jug, you could preserve the practically new oil (in case it did come up roses) and you could actually put it back into the bike to complete its normal rounds if you wanted to.  

It is either hurt or not, and you will soon know.

Hahaha, I'll see what I can do. But I do not want to put that stuff back in there.
Seriously, I rode in hot weather since years on that same bike and with less than stellar oil, but this was the worst ride ever. To be honest I didn't think it was gonna be that bad. I didn't expect that. The difference in feel between 102 and 112 is insane. 102 I did before and it wasn't really all that bad. Not comfortable, but okay. But 112 is plain idiotic, especially with darn near 40% humidity. I learned something new. I should have turned around after a few miles at speed. Wasn't all that bad in town, but on the highway it was bad. Never again...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:17:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Nice little felt thump from motor

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.