Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Nice little felt thump from motor (Read 365 times)
Tinfoil-Jim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Just outside of Stillwater, Ok
Nice little felt thump from motor
08/11/12 at 13:45:16

In the last few rides that I have taken, mostly over 150-200 miles each, I have noticed two different things.  

First, is noticed oil consumption.  Now I have not pulled the plug yet to see what it looks like (it's been over 105* here during the day and my shop heats up to over 140* and is still over 100* at 5am).  I am adding roughly a pint to the crankcase every 300-400 miles.  I switched over to the 15W-40 T5 Rotella oil.  I have not noticed any oil smoke and there are no oil puddles on the ground after my rides.  Really makes me wonder where the heck it is all going.  I have not pulled the air filter assembly out either to see if it is full of oil.  I am hoping that there is something easy that I can look at to see what is going on.

Second, there has been a thump inside the block that I can feel in my right foot.  Now I cannot hear it, but I feel it.  And No, it is not the normal vibration, this is above and beyond all that.  And since it has started, it has only gotten worse.  And this really has me worried.  Any ideas before I start to tear it all apart during the riding season?

Bottom line is I am hoping that there is something easy that I can fix without pushing myself to the limit taking the motor apart to fix it.  Sorry for being a newb!  I really don't need the wife killing me over this.

Thanks in advance,

Jim B Cheesy .

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Re: Nice little felt thump from motor
Reply #1 - 08/11/12 at 13:48:22

it's normal for the savage to use some oil when at hwy speeds and also in higher temps.

As for the thumping your feeling, how many miles on the bike,  could be time to take a look at your timing chain tensioner

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 08/11/12 at 15:48:12

All the motor mount bolts/peg bolts tite?

How many miles since an oil change?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tinfoil-Jim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/11/12 at 17:41:57

The oil was changed about 1500 miles ago, I know gotta change it.  I have the oil and filter and planned on changing it tonight.

As for the mileage on the bike, 11,794.  While I have it in the shop changing the oil, I will see if there are any motor mount bolts loose.  I do really hope it is not the chain tensioner, I don't feel confident enough to take the motor apart that far just yet.  I have my Clymer manual, and I have rebuilt engines, turbos, transmissions and rear ends before.  Just afraid of messing the bike up.  If I messed up my car, I still have the wife's tank to cruise around in until mine was fixed.  Guess I am in a pickle.

Jim Cheesy .

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 08/11/12 at 18:10:45

Tinfoil-Jim wrote on 08/11/12 at 17:41:57:
The oil was changed about 1500 miles ago, I know gotta change it.  I have the oil and filter and planned on changing it tonight.

As for the mileage on the bike, 11,794.  While I have it in the shop changing the oil, I will see if there are any motor mount bolts loose.  I do really hope it is not the chain tensioner, I don't feel confident enough to take the motor apart that far just yet.  I have my Clymer manual, and I have rebuilt engines, turbos, transmissions and rear ends before.  Just afraid of messing the bike up.  If I messed up my car, I still have the wife's tank to cruise around in until mine was fixed.  Guess I am in a pickle.

Jim Cheesy .

Come over to McAlester and we check it out together.  Smiley

IP Logged
Tinfoil-Jim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/11/12 at 22:41:54

I am afraid to ride it that far with the thump in the motor like it is.  Plus, you are better than 2 hours ride from me.  Let me see if some of the other stuff that the others have mentioned may be cured.  And if no luck, then I will get back with you.

Thanks for the offer.

Jim B Cheesy  .

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 08/11/12 at 22:49:50

Tinfoil-Jim wrote on 08/11/12 at 22:41:54:
I am afraid to ride it that far with the thump in the motor like it is.  Plus, you are better than 2 hours ride from me.  Let me see if some of the other stuff that the others have mentioned may be cured.  And if no luck, then I will get back with you.

Thanks for the offer.

Jim B Cheesy  .

Would be actually really cool to meet a fellow Savage rider in person. I never met one before. In fact that I have never seen another Savage than mine around here...maybe once...

Well except the actual cylinder, I have turned pretty much any other of the bolts on mine, so if you think you need to look underneath the clutch cover to check and see if that thump comes from the cam chain tensioner, I'll help you. I got the tools to make it easy.  Smiley

IP Logged
Tinfoil-Jim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/11/12 at 23:08:39

That would be cool, go for a ride and grab a coke from the sonic.

Jim B Cheesy .

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 08/12/12 at 07:58:11

Once youve seen it, you can do it w/o being skeert.

You guys otta run thru the valve adjust procedure just for training. Wouldnt try to actually adjust anything, cuz the engine is sposed to be cool for that job. I guess you could cool it off.
If you cant lay a finger on the valve & hold it, its too hot to adjust. Thats just MY Opinion,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #9 - 08/12/12 at 08:57:36

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/12/12 at 07:58:11:
Once youve seen it, you can do it w/o being skeert.

You guys otta run thru the valve adjust procedure just for training. Wouldnt try to actually adjust anything, cuz the engine is sposed to be cool for that job. I guess you could cool it off.
If you cant lay a finger on the valve & hold it, its too hot to adjust. Thats just MY Opinion,

Exactly, I don't know if that motor cools off quick enough to do all that, especially when it's hot here like that in summer. I usually start things off early in the morning with the motor stone cold.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 08/12/12 at 11:38:32

Let it sit a while, then hit it with a fine mist from the hose a second, stop, do it again & again, dont shock it more than necessary. Once its kinda cool on the outside, wait a while, let heat migrate from the inside, hit it again, otta be able to have it ready to play with by the time the burgers are eaten.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #11 - 08/12/12 at 12:38:44

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/12/12 at 11:38:32:
Let it sit a while, then hit it with a fine mist from the hose a second, stop, do it again & again, dont shock it more than necessary. Once its kinda cool on the outside, wait a while, let heat migrate from the inside, hit it again, otta be able to have it ready to play with by the time the burgers are eaten.

Sounds like a plan  Smiley

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 08/12/12 at 13:17:23

Tinfoil-Jim wrote on 08/11/12 at 13:45:16:
In the last few rides that I have taken, mostly over 150-200 miles each, I have noticed two different things.  

First, is noticed oil consumption.  Now I have not pulled the plug yet to see what it looks like (it's been over 105* here during the day and my shop heats up to over 140* and is still over 100* at 5am).  I am adding roughly a pint to the crankcase every 300-400 miles.  I switched over to the 15W-40 T5 Rotella oil.  I have not noticed any oil smoke and there are no oil puddles on the ground after my rides.  Really makes me wonder where the heck it is all going.  I have not pulled the air filter assembly out either to see if it is full of oil.  I am hoping that there is something easy that I can look at to see what is going on.

Second, there has been a thump inside the block that I can feel in my right foot.  Now I cannot hear it, but I feel it.  And No, it is not the normal vibration, this is above and beyond all that.  And since it has started, it has only gotten worse.  And this really has me worried.  Any ideas before I start to tear it all apart during the riding season?

Bottom line is I am hoping that there is something easy that I can fix without pushing myself to the limit taking the motor apart to fix it.  Sorry for being a newb!  I really don't need the wife killing me over this.

Thanks in advance,

Jim B Cheesy .

There is something very easy put some premium motorcycle oil in it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 08/12/12 at 14:23:22

Bill,, he already did that.

15W-40 T5 Rotella oil.

100* at 5 am? Seriously? Where in Hell are you? Dead center?

Okay, went & looked, Stillwater Ok.. Now I know why the water is still,, its too hot to move!

I was in Tecumseh for a while back in 72/73..

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #14 - 08/12/12 at 14:35:23

If I remember correctly, Verslagen performed an experiment some time back during which he put some pretty high-dollar premium motorcycle oils in his. He reported the bike consumed them all, at about the same rate. I guess you could feel better knowing the exhaust smoke cost more.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:32:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Nice little felt thump from motor

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.